Author Topic: R.I.P. Sears  (Read 4974 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: R.I.P. Sears
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »
Getting back to Craftsman Tools and Lowes -- does anyone know how Lowes is going to position the Craftsman hand tools vis-a-vis Lowes own Kobalt brand hand tools?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: R.I.P. Sears
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
Getting back to Craftsman Tools and Lowes -- does anyone know how Lowes is going to position the Craftsman hand tools vis-a-vis Lowes own Kobalt brand hand tools?
No idea. But I'd imagine similar to how they position Stanley hand tools now, as well as brands like DeWalt and the like for other tool types where they sell multiple brands of a similar tool type.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:35 PM »
Interesting. Didn't realize there wouldn't be a shipping cost.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
I see the "no shipping" on items ordered to the store in several places, Northern Tool is one that comes to mind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 12:10:04 PM »
Interesting. Didn't realize there wouldn't be a shipping cost.
It's usually factored into their usual distribution network, so no extra shipping cost than moving product as usual.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
The beginning of the end was when they stopped pushing their in-house Kenmore appliance brand and started selling all the other brands -- as if they could compete with the discount sellers. Now they've spun off their iconic tool brand. There's nothing left.

My last interaction with Sears was "less than optimal".  

Earlier this year we needed a new washing machine.  Our needs by this time are not great.  Hemmed and hawed, "who can deliver", etc.  Eventually the wife found something on the Sears website that looked OK.  I dug up my Sears login, and ordered it, with delivery + disposal of old unit.

It showed up on time, when they said it would.  But, the delivery guys told my wife that the hose connection to the old washer was corroded to the faucet, and they just left.  (it took me longer to find my channel lock pliers, than to get the connection off.  Five minutes, max.)  They left the basement door off its hinges, for my wife to remount.  And, of course, did not haul off the old unit.

I eventually got a live voice at Sears.  Bless here, her English is better than my Hindi, so I was able to communicate the problem.  She got someone else to come out, a couple weeks later.  By which time all that's left is disposal of the old unit.

They keep dunning me for a maintenance contract, but never did email me for a satisfaction survey.

So, yeah, Sears ain't what it was when I was a kid.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:35:30 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »
Sears realized too late that they might be able to make it as a hybrid online/brick&mortar store. Even when they did go full-on online order support, their web site was painfully counter-intuitive and gawdawful slow.

The only thing that will save the name now are their Sears Hometown stores which, if what I'm seeing is correct, are actually doing decent. They are essentially a throwback to the catalog stores. They stock a selection of popular everyday items and act as a pickup/dropoff counter for everything else.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Isn't Sears Hometown owned by a different company?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
Several weeks ago, one of the door bins in our refrigerator cracked.  After looking around online, I would up ordering one through Sears PartsDirect.  Never again.  When I hadn't heard a word about it after almost 2 weeks, I went online to check its progress.  Even though I have an online presence in their parts ordering hell, I was still required to enter my order number. Seriously?  They couldn't look up any open orders for the person who is now logged in to the ordering place?  Then, I had to enter my zip code. Really?  Is this still the 80s?  I "talked" to a bot, who couldn't figure out where my bin was, so the bot said it would notify the proper people to look into it for me.  The proper people called me back while I was at work on July 3.  I was working. I didn't answer my phone.  The left their name and a rambling voice mail in which they said they would send me an email when they got off the phone to explain things.  No email ever came.  Next day was July 4. I didn't even try to contact them.  The next day, I called back for the person who left the voice mail. It was their day off, and nobody else would be able to help me.  I called again the next day when voicemailnoemail guy was supposed to be working.  He was unavailable.  Luckily, I must have accidentally connected with Sears' lone competent one.  He found the problem, corrected it, credited me for the delivery charge, and told me the bin would arrive by the following Friday.  It actually came a couple days early.

Bless yer hearts if you've actually read all this. But, never again.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
They just closed the small sears near me about 30 miles away. Had him liquidate everything so they didn't have to pay to ship it back to the distribution center.

I stopped buying craftsman in the late 90's went with lowes and harbor freight like others. A few snap-on while I was still in the machine shop.

In the mid 2000's the head of Sears and Whirlpool went golfing. Decided to restart the AE service brand that Monkey Wards had. It was going down hill quick after that.

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Hometown_and_Outlet_Stores

As of January 2018, 19 stores were still in operation

Make that 18. The one I used to go to closed a few months ago.

I was in Lowe's today. They had Kobalt, Stanley, and Craftsman tool chests, but no hand tools by either Stanly or Craftsman.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
Several weeks ago, one of the door bins in our refrigerator cracked. 

We fixed ours with duct tape.  I figured it was easier than trying to find the part.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »
We fixed ours with duct tape.  I figured it was easier than trying to find the part.

I'm sure it was a good deal less expensive, too.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 05:46:14 PM »
We had a Sears outlet store here that closed earlier this year. We had purchased appliances there over the years and we were sad to see them go.

I still have a set of Craftsman sockets and wrenches I got as a gift over 30 years ago. I have to go across town to get to one of the last Sears stores in the metro area if I want their tools now.

I now get tools online or at Harbor Freight.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
We had a Sears outlet store here that closed earlier this year. We had purchased appliances there over the years and we were sad to see them go.

I still have a set of Craftsman sockets and wrenches I got as a gift over 30 years ago. I have to go across town to get to one of the last Sears stores in the metro area if I want their tools now.

I now get tools online or at Harbor Freight.
And the other sad part is that should you need to use the lifetime warranty on one of those older good quality one's,you'll have it replaced with a crap one that's IME at best on par with kobalt or harbor freight.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
I've got a Kobalt weed wacker and a hedge trimmer.  The batteries hold up well and the tools themselves are really good.  I'm really impressed.   Sure beats those small gas operated tools that would never start.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
I've got a Kobalt weed wacker and a hedge trimmer.  The batteries hold up well and the tools themselves are really good.  I'm really impressed.   Sure beats those small gas operated tools that would never start.

Thread drift - I've got the Ryobi 40 volt string trimmer and leaf blower. I'm really impressed with the power on both. Even if the batteries only last 20-25 minutes, as an official retired guy, that's break time for me anyway.  :laugh:

On the Kobalt, I've got a few of the hand tools and their auto-darken welding helmet. I'm really happy with the helmet. It has the 3M technology, so they didn't skimp, and the price was reasonable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
I've been purchasing more and more Kobalt tools. I know a couple of people here have had bad things to say about them, but I'm actually finding them to be quite good bargains for the money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.