Author Topic: Idaho  (Read 2705 times)

zahc

• friend
Idaho
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:35 PM »
Did/does anyone live in Idaho? Specifically Boise.

As far as I can tell, compared to NC, it has lower property taxes, higher income taxes, similar cost of living, better gun laws, lower humidity, more snow, more Mormons, and essentially no black people.

Otherwise are there any surprises? My latest "quitting my job" fantasy involves a job there. Beats California.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
Every resident is required by law to buy 2.7 pounds of potato products a day on average. You don't have to eat them, but by the end of the year you have to show that you've purchased 1000 pounds of spud products.

The law is enforced by the most arrogant and rude people you can imagine. Which is why people say Idaho is a dictatorship.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
Anywhere in the state beats nearly anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains or west of the Cascades and the Sierra Nevadas. Look around Twin Falls, Mountain Home or come up north to the Couer d'Alene area. I read somewhere a while back that Idaho was 48 or so when it comes to per capita tax burden, bigger number is better.

bob

eta: Look like the tax burden is smack in the middle at 26

eta (again): I lovingly refer to it as taterho every time we go across the river from WA to Taterho so I can get to Cabela's.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:51:45 PM by BobR »

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
Every resident is required by law to buy 2.7 pounds of potato products a day on average. You don't have to eat them, but by the end of the year you have to show that you've purchased 1000 pounds of spud products.

The law is enforced by the most arrogant and rude people you can imagine. Which is why people say Idaho is a dictatorship.

I....

what?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »
I....

what?

I agree.  I don't get humor with bad math either.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
Idaho is awesome. I just got back yesterday from another failed house hunting trip. I'm looking for specific house with acreage property in the area just North of the Treasure Valley that is apparently also very popular with other retirees and others like me, fleeing California. Last week two properties my realtor was going to set me up to see were sold sight unseen over the phone by some jackass Californians within a few hours of listing. Housing prices in most of the area around the Treasure Valley have jumped around 25% from last year.

The average Boise/Meridian/Eagle housing tract home is around $300K now. Idaho was the #1 growth state last year, and Meridian was the #1 city. It shows. Lots of extra traffic in that Meridian/Eagle/Boise area. If you don't mind a little commute, Caldwell, Nampa, Kuna, etc. areas still have some nice areas where you can get a place with even an acre or so for under $400K, and tract homes are mostly still available in the mid $200Ks.

On the positive side, if the Boise area is where you're looking, there are tons of outdoor activities (some of the best fishing in the area is on the Boise river right in town), really friendly people, great year round weather (at least for Idaho), great pubs and restaurants, state constitutional carry, super cheap hydro electricity, excellent medical facilities, the list goes on. Also Idaho, from what I've seen and based on everyone there I have spent time with, is very much "live and let live", from the Mormon South to the libertarian panhandle.

Bob mentioned a few other areas. That whole CDA and North area is really cool. I was in Bonner's Ferry last year and thought it was awesome. Real estate is still reasonable there too (not so much in CDA) but they do get some real Winters and they are just a bit of a drive (for me at least) to a lot of services. If I were 30, I'd seriously consider it. At 58, one of my criteria is being within an hour of major medical. If not for now, for 10-20 years from now, so I don't have to move again. I was actually first looking at the other areas Bob mentioned. Specifically Buhl to Hagerman, just North of Twin Falls. It ended up being just a little too desert-like for me, with some of the outdoor stuff I like to do being a bit too far away. Twin Falls has grown a lot though, and has most all the services anyone might want.

I've been looking North of the Treasure Valley, from New Plymouth through Emmett and to Horseshoe Bend. This is the property I really wanted that I lost to the jackass Californian with the phone:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/89909830_zpid/87120-_lot/1_pnd/globalrelevanceex_sort/43.957389,-116.141632,43.954929,-116.146246_rect/17_zm/

I would have been able to hop on my 4 wheeler, go down my driveway, hang a right, and ride into miles of BLM and National Forest land to shoot, hunt and goof around, and still be within 50 minutes of the Costco.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
:rofl:

Bad math?

I get 2.74 lb per resident per day, rounds down to 2.7.  Can you at least ferment them into Idavodka if you don't have to eat them? :D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:45:45 AM by 230RN »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
Always got a kick out of Denise Austin in the commercial saying "Idaho!" Yes Denise, yes you are.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »
I....

what?

Let me put some emphasis in the post for you:

The law is enforced by the most arrogant and rude people you can imagine. Which is why people say Idaho is a dicTATORship.

Insert <Groan> smilie here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:22:31 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
:rofl:

Bad math?

I get 2.74 lb per resident per day.  Can you at least ferment them into Idavodka if you don't have to eat them? :D

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
makattak Warren, if you had spelled it "Dictatership," I'd'a got it.

Cheer up.  Over half my jokes go ungotten.  I don't get no respect neither, nohow.

Corrected to reflect original poster.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:57:59 AM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
If you had spelled it "Dictatership," I'd'a got it.

I missed his double pun at first, too. I've updated the post to include that part, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
I missed his double pun at first, too. I've updated the post to include that part, as well.

Oh, sorry.  It was Warren who posted that, not makattak.  Correction made.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
The Boise area is top-notch.  I went over there a few years back to chat with St. Luke's about risk management.  Lots of amenities, housing cost is still reasonable compared to Seattle, a good economy, and ample outdoor recreation.  

If I were to live in Idaho in retirement, it would probably be close to CDA.  I like that part of Idaho, and it is reasonably close to anything you could need in Spokane.  Think about the panhandle, Ben, and Spokane has a very good medical system.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
Spokane has a very good medical system.

Yes it does, especially cardiac care. That is the main reason I moved here, my wife is a congenital heart who has had 2 open heart surgeries, one in the early 60's when the odds were favoring a bad outcome and again about 15 years ago when the odds were much better.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/07/dr-ralph-berg-remembered-as-cardiac-surgery-pionee/

We have 3 large hospitals, two of which I would not hesitate to use, a very robust urgent care system and any medical services (except a burn unit) you could possibly need including transplants.

bob

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »

I think you meant dictatership
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
So can you explain more about the winters? How long and how cold? One thing I can't take is long periods of gloomy weather. I don't think I would make it in Portland, for example.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
So can you explain more about the winters? How long and how cold? One thing I can't take is long periods of gloomy weather. I don't think I would make it in Portland, for example.

That really varies, and can vary greatly within a few miles. In Spokane we get 45-60 inches of snow a year spread out from Dec to March. I am usually riding my bike (motorcycle) from the end of March to the beginning of November. In CDA they get a little more snow but temps are comparable. A mere 60 miles from here and about 30 miles north from CDA (Athol, Sandpoint and north) they get a lot more snow and it is earlier and lasts longer. overnight lows seldom dip into the teens and winter highs hover between 30 and 40 degrees. Seldom do we get snow that lasts more than a couple of weeks. 2008 and 2009 were different, over 100 inches of snow both winters, what hit the ground in November was still here in April but that hasn't happened since. I can't give a personal account of winter in southern ID but every one tells me it is like Spokane without as much snow. Many times during the winter there are sunny days, it isn't a constant winter cloud cover like on the west side of the Cascades.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
The thing about the Treasure Valley (Boise) is that it can get a Winter inversion, sometimes for several weeks, so can be both grey and cold versus a few hundred feet up in elevation during the inversion.

My realtor says she always tells everyone that it doesn't really snow in Boise. It snows, but disappears fast. Usually. Winter 2017 was a big exception and they had quite a few roof collapses in Weiser and Horseshoe Bend. Interestingly, I read that, I think about ten years ago, they had reduced the snow load requirements for roofs because near historical snow levels were nowhere near older historical snow levels. Though from what I read, most of the roofs that  collapsed were from very old buildings.

Here's a good site to see historical snowfall as well as both average and extreme monthly temps.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climate/west_coop_summaries.php

For stations not listed on the NOAA site, you can get some pretty good guestimates from the climate graphs at citydata.com:

http://www.city-data.com/

Choose state/city profile, then scroll down to climate for the city. Lots of other interesting data too. Be sure to set the top menu for population size.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »
I think you meant dictatership

Good one, AmbulanceDriver.

Warren, if you had spelled it "Dictatership," I'd'a got it.

Note dates and times.

Nobody reads my stuff anyhow.  I tell ya, I don't get no respect.  No respect at all.

Yeah, I know that's John Barrymore.  I was struck by the resemblance to Dangerfield in that photo.