Author Topic: Wild Video Captures Cop Shooting Out His Windshield While Chasing Suspects  (Read 1044 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2018-07-17-wild-video-captures-cop-shooting-out-his-windshield-while-chasing-suspects/

This link has the dash cam video for one of the officers pursuing some crooks in an SUV.  They fire at the police a few different times.  Cool video.  I was a bit surprised to see the officer firing while still on the move. 

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/38658281/police-body-camera-footage-shows-bravery-of-officer-during-las-vegas-shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=iZ4khQyvpRs
Here is a youtube video, but I think it is age restricted.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Not a fan of officer firing from a moving platform, at a moving target, in the middle of a residential neighborhood, with lots of other vehicles, pedestrians, etc around.  Even worse, shooting through an obstacle that due to the angle *will* deflect the shot in some direction.  If I were part of the internal review board for that dept, I'd play him the video, and after every shot, I'd pause the video and ask him specifically what/where that round impacted.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
I agree with AD.  Either drive or shoot, but not both.

Also, that cop needs remedial training in pistol operation.  He is FUBAR in his grip and reloads.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
What is essentially uncontrolled fire... from a moving vehicle... through a solid media... known to deflect bullets... while in a populated area?!

No, no, no, no, no. Several very bad decisions, some of which could easily be fatal to innocent bystanders.  The fail here is epic.

At the very least we're talking reckless endangerment and negligent discharge of a firearm. Even if he'd been a passenger who could concentrate on weapon control rather than having to split between driving and shooting, it would have been a piss-poor choice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
It looked like his first thought was to stick it out the driver's side window and shoot, but he decided not to.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
I've never tried it but I imagine firing a full magazine while inside the car will result in a hearing loss claim sooner or later.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
Unless the cops were going to back off and let the bad guys get away (since it didn't sound like he ever got his air unit) they had a big old spit sandwich to eat no matter what. 

Between the bad guys shooting on a crowded street and the vehicular dangers of a high speed chase in a crowded urban area, I don't think the shots through the windshield were even particularly notable as far as the danger they presented.  He had two strings of fire on a straight stretch in which he pulled right up behind the target car before opening up, and a third string out his window from only a few yards away.  Yes, there was risk involved with that, but there was also a risk involved with letting the chase go on, and considering these guys were murder suspects to say nothing of establishing a precedent that shooting at cops as a solution to getting out of a chase, there was risk involved with letting them go.

I agree with Fly320s that his grip and reloads sucked.

Anyone here want to try to PIT a car while its passengers are trying to shoot you in the face?

Phyphor

• friend
I read somewhere that his department transitioned from revolvers to semi-autos, which explained the grip and reload fails...
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I read somewhere that his department transitioned from revolvers to semi-autos, which explained the grip and reload fails...

So a town that's 30 years behind the rest of the country? Sounds nice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
We all know what adrenaline does to people in crisis situations. Can we really bust the guy's chops for a bit of fumbling on his reload?

He did end the situation. There's two less scumbags wandering around because of him.

You can say that his tactics were not optimal, however the reloading thing is but a triviality. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
We all know what adrenaline does to people in crisis situations. Can we really bust the guy's chops for a bit of fumbling on his reload?

Yes we can.  And we should.

His drivng skills seemed sufficient.  His radio worked was sufficient.  His gun handling skills need a bunch of work.  He certainly wasn’t good enough with his pistol to be shooting through a windshield, while driving, at a moving car.  He has not mastered the basics of gun use, ie: grip and loading, so there is no way he should be attempting to fire from his car in this situation.

The main reason we, or at least his department, should critique his performance is because he is a public figure acting on our behalf.  Critique his actions, train everyone else, and the overall quality of police work improves.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

castle key

• friend
His radio worked was sufficient.

Not really. He kept repeating that shots had been fired. We got that message. He failed to properly provide locations, especially at the onset.

The final rounds fired seemed just aimed at the vehicle.... not any specific target. Would it be ok to shoot and kill a passenger that was not actively shooting at the police? Perhaps a hostage. If you shoot, you better have a properly identified target in your sights with a clear backdrop.

This event did look dramatic though!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
What is essentially uncontrolled fire... from a moving vehicle... through a solid media... known to deflect bullets... while in a populated area?!

No, no, no, no, no. Several very bad decisions, some of which could easily be fatal to innocent bystanders.  The fail here is epic.

At the very least we're talking reckless endangerment and negligent discharge of a firearm. Even if he'd been a passenger who could concentrate on weapon control rather than having to split between driving and shooting, it would have been a piss-poor choice.

Brad

*expletive deleted*it immediately after his first barrage you see a uhaul appear after the suspect vehicle passes it. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
*expletive deleted*it immediately after his first barrage you see a uhaul appear after the suspect vehicle passes it. 

That was the first thing that caught my attention as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
The final rounds fired seemed just aimed at the vehicle.... not any specific target.

Hard to pick a target right then.  He wanted the vehicle disabled, at any rate; high-speed mobile shooters are way worse than stationary ones.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

Yeah, but he missed it, so we can't give him a medal for making the roads twice as safe in one chase.