Author Topic: A white rattlesnake? Texas park posts photo of ‘cryptic’ viper  (Read 778 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/article214825735.html

It’s not an albino. Called a banded rock rattlesnake, the seldom seen species of pit viper has a spotty distribution in only three states along the Mexican border (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), and is known for having a powerful bite, say experts.

If you are down in the Southwest, watch where you step.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_lepidus
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:22:41 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
The editor/proofreader in me is prompted to ask "what do they mean by a powerful bite?"

MechAg94

• friend
From Wiki
Their venom is primarily a haemotoxin, but has been known to have significant neurotoxic effects, as well. While not type-specific, the polyvalent antivenin CroFab is generally used to treat serious envenomations.
Wiki says they rarely get more than 32 inches long which isn't very big.  Maybe it injects more venom when threatened?  Poor commentary on their part.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
So powerful bite means a serious envenomation ?

Sounds to me like these herpinators have been snakilated one or two times too many.  Or maybe they're all enmarijuanated or cocainified.

But seriously, sometimes I wonder how creatures so thinly distributed can maintain reproduction.  I mean the snakes, not the herpinators.

Terry

MechAg94

• friend
So powerful bite means a serious envenomation ?

Sounds to me like these herpinators have been snakilated one or two times too many.  Or maybe they're all enmarijuanated or cocainified.

But seriously, sometimes I wonder how creatures so thinly distributed can maintain reproduction.  I mean the snakes, not the herpinators.

Terry
Yeah, how do they even find each other?   =)

I would assume there are more of them than people think and they use scent like most others.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
^ "I would assume there are more of them than people think and they use scent like most others."

Or maybe a special "I'm horny" "come hither" rattle.

I mean, you know, like lightning bugs use light flashes and crickets use um.. cricks.

Terry, 230RN

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
They go to ssssinglesss bars.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
That would be "barsssssss." wouldn't it?

Just the proofreader in me piping up.