Author Topic: China Has Refused To Recycle The West's Plastics. What Now?  (Read 2765 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/06/28/623972937/china-has-refused-to-recycle-the-wests-plastics-what-now
Interesting.  Cheap recycling destination drops off the market.  Looks like they will need to find somewhere else to ship it or figure out how to recycle it here.
For more than 25 years, many developed countries, including the U.S., have been sending massive amounts of plastic waste to China instead of recycling it on their own.

Some 106 million metric tons — about 45 percent — of the world's plastics set for recycling have been exported to China since reporting to the United Nations Comtrade Database began in 1992.

But in 2017, China passed the National Sword policy banning plastic waste from being imported — for the protection of the environment and people's health — beginning in January 2018.

https://bluntforcetruth.com/news/china-throws-the-recycling-scam-in-the-trash/

California’s trash is going right back to landfills. 62% of exported materials used to go to China. But no more. California’s Department of Resources Recycling sent a letter cautioning that the “economics of recycling” had become “unfavorable” thus “challenging what recycling means to Californians.”

It also warned recycling facilities that, “public health and safety should be their number one priority”.

In Massachusetts, mountains of trash recycling are piling up and there’s talk that trucks may stop picking it up. In Pennsylvania, a “recycling crisis created by China” was blamed for a refusal to accept paper. In Seattle and Phoenix, recycling is going into landfills. Fees are going up in Portland. In Pasco, recycling was abandoned before its start. In a Kansas City plant, one out of four items is going into a landfill. In Sacramento, where all of California’s recycling rules are made, most recyclables no longer are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: China Has Refused To Recycle The West's Plastics. What Now?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
I mentioned this in a topic over in Politics. Apparently India is still taking our stuff, but they are getting sick of us too. Our enviro-nazi states have kind of become the snobby country club members of the refuse world. They throw all their "recyclables" into the "green" container and figure the hired help will have no problem separating the baby crap out of the soiled diaper, because that diaper is recyclable, and it's the hired help, so it's their job, right? Go get me another martini.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
Reduce, Reuse...  Nah, that will never work.  I'm sure they will just pass a "recycling tax", that's the solution for everything.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »
I mentioned this in a topic over in Politics. Apparently India is still taking our stuff, but they are getting sick of us too. Our enviro-nazi states have kind of become the snobby country club members of the refuse world. They throw all their "recyclables" into the "green" container and figure the hired help will have no problem separating the baby crap out of the soiled diaper, because that diaper is recyclable, and it's the hired help, so it's their job, right? Go get me another martini.
That is what all those illegal aliens are supposed to do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
The whole first world has a trash problem and it is closer to home. Two examples down in tidewater I can think of. First, we the government flatly refused to sell derelict ships to places that wanted to scrap them due to environmental concerns with the ship breaking so they sat rafted up in the James River, threatening the most important estuary in the country. Good call. When ships do get recycled the go to someplace like India with no environmental controls.

Same river, several counties in tidewater make a ton of money by importing New York city's trash by barge and burying it. Sooner or later locals will get tired of being someone's dump.

The end result will always be the same, consumers will pay more, we lived in a world of suppressed prices fed by cheap raw materials.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
Just check it as baggage on Delta Airlines - no human being will ever see it again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
It's funny that they still use the term "recycle" when we pay another country to dump it for us.  I guess it makes us feel better about ourselves than if we used American dumps.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Why not turn the Grand Canyon into a landfill? I bet that would hold us over for quite some time! (No, I'm not serious. I've been there and hiked down into it and would never seriously suggest such a thing)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
Reduce, Reuse...  Nah, that will never work.  I'm sure they will just pass a "recycling tax", that's the solution for everything.

That was my biggest pet peeve while living in econazi Santa Barbara. Everybody drove to the Environmental Defense Center wine and cheese deals in their brand New Pruiuseses, or Teslas, if they were wealthy. They of course traded in perfectly serviceable vehicles to get the ones that showed what great environmentalists they were. I recall Honda had (or still has) a Prius equivalent, I think Accord, that looked just like all the other Accords, so it didn't sell. Drive a Prius and everybody knows you're green, Amiright?

They were also good about steel water bottles (I actually use one all the time myself), because it's something else you could see. Reducing and reusing are often anonymous, so what's the use if nobody sees that you're hep to the jive?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
It's like a kid's party balloon.  You push it in here, and it comes out there.  Push it in hard enough and it pops.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »
I would really love the leftists be faced with their hypocrisy and waste, but I'm pretty sure the "What Now?" will be find someone else to pay to take it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
There's plenty of room still in New Jersey and they probably wouldn't even notice.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »
I know of a couple of towns in my state that have organized, direct recycling programs -- meaning a building at the town's transfer station where people can put old stuff that still works, and other people can go "shopping" there. IMHO that's the absolute best kind of recycling there is. Nothing has to be shredded or melted down and then reconstituted for use in another product, the thing just gets adopted by a new owner and keeps on truckin'.

Numerous people have suggested to my town's government that we should do the same thing. Oh, no! Instead, they keep tightening up the rules. Once something hits a dumpster, it's strictly off limits. They've actually had people arrested for dumpster diving.

Arrogant [bleep]s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
They can't find room in Washington D. C. ?    Considering what's already there, no one would notice any extra garbage. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
I know of a couple of towns in my state that have organized, direct recycling programs -- meaning a building at the town's transfer station where people can put old stuff that still works, and other people can go "shopping" there. IMHO that's the absolute best kind of recycling there is. Nothing has to be shredded or melted down and then reconstituted for use in another product, the thing just gets adopted by a new owner and keeps on truckin'.

Numerous people have suggested to my town's government that we should do the same thing. Oh, no! Instead, they keep tightening up the rules. Once something hits a dumpster, it's strictly off limits. They've actually had people arrested for dumpster diving.

Arrogant [bleep]s.
That is what is always frustrating.  Real solutions are ignored or actively opposed.  All the money spent on recycling could be spent on building a plant to actually recycle it or subsidizing a private facility.  Of course, they would have to relent on the environmental issues or pay for compliance. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »

Arrogant [bleep]s.

I read an article on how during the Great Depression this group in Oakland, Ca brought together unemployed people with discarded items and set about repairing or stripping for parts these things (the items, not the people) for resale. It was quite successful in both employing people and recycling.  

As your example shows that would not likely be allowed to happen nowadays.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
A lot of e-waste is going to Africa, specifically Ghana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDrIvShZKU
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
Us Hicks in flyover country do a pretty good freecycle, anything possibly useful is left out next to the dumpsters, it is often not there long. This year's tomato cages were sponsored by someone's snap together closet organizer.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
Honest question: need we recycle?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: China Has Refused To Recycle The West's Plastics. What Now?
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
If recycling is economically a good idea I honestly want to know why I can take metal to the scrap guy and get paid to recycle it, but not plastic. Same dang concept.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »
We just need to load it all up in a big spaceship and launch it at the sun.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »

The way we're doing it now really is unsustainable in the long haul.
I don't have the answer but things will have to change eventually.
Per ton is it really cheaper to mine the ore, transport it, smelt it,refine it, dispose of the waste and process it into beer cans than it would be to take a ton of empty beer cans and reprocess the metal into new beer cans?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
I just burn it all.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 09:32:35 PM »
The way we're doing it now really is unsustainable in the long haul.
I don't have the answer but things will have to change eventually.
Per ton is it really cheaper to mine the ore, transport it, smelt it,refine it, dispose of the waste and process it into beer cans than it would be to take a ton of empty beer cans and reprocess the metal into new beer cans?

Beer cans are the exception because it takes so much energy to extract aluminum from ore. 

Discarded plastic should be burned; mix it with scrap wood (construction waste and tree trimmings) and use it in coal-fired or similar power plants.

I don't know what you do with glass (I reuse glass bottles, but transportation and storage costs really eat up any savings from the old returnable bottles.  Also the returnables used more glass per bottle to make them strong enough for all the handling.  Maybe grind 'em up and use it for roadbed aggregate?
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:24 AM »
You can throw it into a pressure cooker and get oil similar to crude out of it. Any carbon organic chemistry waste stream really.  Although it might not always be a net energy gain, but combined with keeping it out of landfills, and from getting into the food chain might be worth it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization
I promise not to duck.