Author Topic: Another nail in the coffin for fish oil benefiting your heart  (Read 986 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/18/omega-3-no-protection-against-heart-attack-or-strokes-say-scientists

http://cochranelibrary-wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003177.pub3/full

Based on the science at the time, I took fish oil capsules for many years as primary prevention against cardiovascular events.  I stopped taking them a few years back when the first good studies showing no benefit and possible increase in prostate cancer came out.

Now the Cochrane Collective, which is about as good as you can get in clinical research, has weighed in based on a meta-analysis of the literature.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Another nail in the coffin for fish oil benefiting your heart
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
Thanks, I learned something. :)

I took Omega-3 capsules for a while some years ago because I didn't eat a lot of fish and don't like nuts, but gave up mostly out of laziness. I didn't realize there was a potential link to prostate cancer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
They should do a study on bacon oil.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
They should do a study on bacon oil.

Brad

Already been done.

Bacon oil, and bacon itself, imropve every aspect of your life.  If you eat bacon, you will live a longer, healthier, happier life, and so will the people around you.  Bacon, coffee, and whiskey all contain the same life-improving compounds.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Already been done.

Bacon oil, and bacon itself, imropve every aspect of your life.  If you eat bacon, you will live a longer, healthier, happier life, and so will the people around you.  Bacon, coffee, and whiskey all contain the same life-improving compounds.

Preach it brother.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
don't like nuts

And yet, here you are.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
Already been done.

And the great thing about bacon oil is that the capsules it comes in are strips of bacon. No need to swallow some stupid gel-cap. Just eat a slice or 20 of bacon and get all the benefits plus enjoy a fulfilling meal.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
I took Omega-3 supplements for years. Then my doctor told me that it was bad for me. She also told me that Vitamin E supplements are bad for us, and cause prostate cancer in men.

Because I'm "that guy," I didn't accept her word for it. I started researching. I did find that the Omega-3 studies didn't show much support for taking it. I also found that the information she had about Vitamin E was only partially correct. There are several types of Vitamin E. Most of the supplements contain only D-Alpha Tocopherol. By itself, D-Alpha Tocopherol apparently may contribute to prostate cancer. But supplements that contain multiple types of Tocopherol don't contribute to prostate cancer. So, rather than stop taking Vitamin E supplements, I switched from the one I had been taking (which was a D-Alpha type) to a "mixed Tocopherol" type.

The Vitamin E studies were somehow related to the fish oil studies, but it's been a few years so I don't remember which one I was researching that led me to the other.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:37:49 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »
the amount of money folks spend on supplements of dubious value,  is staggering.  North of $30 billion a year.  Virtually no health benefits,  just squandered on a hope and a prayer.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Maybe it's the hope and the prayer that are the actual beneficial agents.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
I took Omega-3 supplements for years. Then my doctor told me that it was bad for me. She also told me that Vitamin E supplements are bad for us, and cause prostate cancer in men.

Because I'm "that guy," I didn't accept her word for it. I started researching. I did find that the Omega-3 studies didn't show much support for taking it. I also found that the information she had about Vitamin E was only partially correct. There are several types of Vitamin E. Most of the supplements contain only D-Alpha Tocopherol. By itself, D-Alpha Tocopherol apparently may contribute to prostate cancer. But supplements that contain multiple types of Tocopherol don't contribute to prostate cancer. So, rather than stop taking Vitamin E supplements, I switched from the one I had been taking (which was a D-Alpha type) to a "mixed Tocopherol" type.

The Vitamin E studies were somehow related to the fish oil studies, but it's been a few years so I don't remember which one I was researching that led me to the other.
My doctor looked at my blood work and said I it showed I didn't need to worry about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 02:34:04 AM »
the amount of money folks spend on supplements of dubious value,  is staggering.  North of $30 billion a year.  Virtually no health benefits,  just squandered on a hope and a prayer.

For some of us on dialysis we need them. as our bodies either no longer them, or enough of them, or they pulled out by dialysis.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
I'm glad my plan of ignoring vitamin fads and doing nothing differently is paying off beautifully.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Now I don't feel too guilty for throwing out the jar of unused fish oil pills a few months back.
My Dr had recommended them in the past, I bought some, never got in the habit of taking them....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama