Author Topic: IMPD Officer assaults civilian for giving him the bird.  (Read 2428 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
IMPD Officer assaults civilian for giving him the bird.
« on: July 20, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Another "I must Patrol Drunk"  (Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department) makes the department look good by circling back and then grounding and pounding the guy.

https://fox59.com/2018/07/19/impd-investigates-officer-for-alleged-road-rage-assault-captured-on-surveillance-video/

Now, I went to high school with Tom, and he's no angel.  But flipping off someone speeding through your neighborhood, ESPECIALLY A COP, is no excuse to beat someone.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: IMPD Officer assaults civilian for giving him the bird.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »
Another "I must Patrol Drunk"  (Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department) makes the department look good by circling back and then grounding and pounding the guy.

https://fox59.com/2018/07/19/impd-investigates-officer-for-alleged-road-rage-assault-captured-on-surveillance-video/

Now, I went to high school with Tom, and he's no angel.  But flipping off someone speeding through your neighborhood, ESPECIALLY A COP, is no excuse to beat someone.

I'm impressed that they have launched a criminal investigation -- but not *that* impressed until they arrest him (the cop, not Trickle or Turner).
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
Who the [bleep] is this Turner, and what was his role in the sordid affair?

Ne'mind. Turner is identified in the video, but not in the written article.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:16:55 PM »
Who the [bleep] is this Turner, and what was his role in the sordid affair?

Ne'mind. Turner is identified in the video, but not in the written article.

IIRC, Turner is a neighbor who witnessed the event and accidentally captured most of it on video.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
IIRC, Turner is a neighbor who witnessed the event and accidentally captured most of it on video.

So it appears, but you can't divine that by reading the article that accompanies the video clip.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
So it appears, but you can't divine that by reading the article that accompanies the video clip.

I don't know.  I read several news articles about this.  (Searched on Tom Trickle Indianapolis)
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
This is how that should have been handled:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/06/i-should-be-so-ashamed-of-myself.html
No, assuming that everything went down as reported, the cop should have driven on and adjusted his speed if he was going too fast. The guy flipping him off was not even technically breaking a traffic law as in LawDog’s case.  At most he could have come back and asked if the guy was trying to flag him down and needed something. No excuse at all for that behavior.

I will add that when people wish for the “good old days” of policing, that is what the good old days looked like. Except in the good old days being disrespectful to a cop might have earned more hickory shampoo.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
what a wonderful world it would be, if we all just minded our own damn business.   lol

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

So the lesson here is to not flip the bird at cops who speed through residential neighborhoods. I propose that RPGs might be more appropriate, and more effective.

[Note to NSA: Just kidding! Look up "hyperbole."]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
Around here, they keep people from going too fast by making sure the road isn't all that smooth.  If you go 40 or more MPH on neighborhood roads posted 30-35, you start getting thrown around due to all the humps and dips in the road.  

On this, I guess we will wait and see if the officer is actually charged.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »
Around here, they keep people from going too fast by making sure the road isn't all that smooth.  If you go 40 or more MPH on neighborhood roads posted 30-35, you start getting thrown around due to all the humps and dips in the road.  

On this, I guess we will wait and see if the officer is actually charged.  
:facepalm: .. Those are called potholes .... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »
:facepalm: .. Those are called potholes .... ;/
They actually aren't potholes.  The roads are just not completely flat.  It doens't matter if you are driving about 30.  If you speed up to 40 or more, I really notice it. 

Every so often, they close off a lane, cut out sections of concrete, and rebuild that section.  Mostly the soil around here is gumbo that moves around a lot.  The roads that are not primary roads are not quite as stable.  They aren't really built for heavy traffic anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
Not potholes .... okay.... they just haven't invented road graders there, yet....   ;/   >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
I think it is actually just shifting soil underneath a road foundation not set up for heavy traffic.  The road is concrete and the dirt underneath shift over time.  The concrete ends up sagging in places and not in others so the end result is a road that isn't flat.  When it starts to break up, they do repairs. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »
Sometimes the underlying strata(?) will not cooperate. A half-mile from my residence is a an intersection that has a huge hump in it. They tried for years to get rid of it and it keeps coming back and as of a few years ago they've given up.

At Michigan International Speedway on the backstretch there is (or was) a huge bump that they would grade away yet something deep in the earth would flex and shudder and in time the bump would be back. I've not heard anything about it lately. It might still be a problem.

Whatchu gonna do?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »
Sometimes the underlying strata(?) will not cooperate. A half-mile from my residence is a an intersection that has a huge hump in it. They tried for years to get rid of it and it keeps coming back and as of a few years ago they've given up.

At Michigan International Speedway on the backstretch there is (or was) a huge bump that they would grade away yet something deep in the earth would flex and shudder and in time the bump would be back. I've not heard anything about it lately. It might still be a problem.

Whatchu gonna do?

Don't build roads over sleeping Old Ones?