Author Topic: Ruben Sammich  (Read 3300 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Ruben Sammich
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
Went out to lunch and had a Ruben sandwich that substited marinated grilled veggies for the corned beef.

It was flipping amazing.

Real simple substitution. Marinate sliced red onion, red bell pepper and zucchini in a mix of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Grill them up and make a sandwich when they are done.

I love meat, I love corned beef so I’m not blowing smoke at you.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Ruben Sammich
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
With Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing?  or Thousand Island?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
That sounds interesting. I'm a "sandwiches should have meat" guy who has run into several veggie sandwiches that I liked a lot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
One of my go to lunches now that I'm on this diet is a slice of multi-grain or a roll, non-fat turkey lunchmeat, and mixed raw vegetables marinated in Italian dressing. Filling, and not all that fattening.

I got kind of tired of the raw veggies, so I modded the recipe.

I use a slice of multi grain bread, some spicy mustard, a thin slice of swiss cheese, the turkey, and I roast the vegetables, which I then marinate in non-fat Italian dressing.

Calorie wise it's about the same as the first, but overall it's tastier because of the roasted veggies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 06:45:03 AM »
That sounds interesting. I'm a "sandwiches should have meat" guy who has run into several veggie sandwiches that I liked a lot.

One of my absolute favorite "burgers" at Ruby Tuesday's in years past was a marinated, grilled portabello mushroom cap. One of the really big ones. Exceptionally good, but they took it off the menu.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »
With Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing?  or Thousand Island?

Yes, on rye. Make it just like your typical ruben. I used baby Swiss and real fermented sauerkraut. Actually, the bread I picked up for this was a rye with pumpernickel swirl and I grilled it using butter.

I’m using thousand island dressing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:38:18 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
I'm going to try this.

Soon.

I found a container of homemade kraut in the freezer that I had forgotten about...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
I haven't tried Ron's sandwich yet, but this thread got me to go to Trader Blows yesterday and buy a bunch of fixin's for various veggie sandwiches. Yesterday I did one with tomatoes and fried zucchini from the garden, red onion, shredded carrots, thin sliced apple, avocado, tomato-basil hummus, microgreens, feta cheese, and topped with red onion-bacon vinaigrette dressing. On lightly toasted wheat sourdough.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 11:35:45 PM »
I had a Rachel Sandwich yesterday for lunch. It is a Ruben but with turkey instead of beef. Not bad, but it would of been a lot better with peppered turkey instead of smoked turkey.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »
Can't do the Ruben... not a fan of saurkraut (taste is not too off-putting, but its a migraine trigger for me).
A good Cuban is somewhat similar in concept, but better in every aspect. YMMV.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 06:28:09 AM »
"taste is not too off-putting, but its a migraine trigger for me"

I've got a friend who has the exact same problem, but for her it's all naturally ferment foods, including wine and beer.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
I have been following this thread and every time I open it I think, "What are they talking about? A Reuben has meat, the only veggie is sauerkraut." You guys are going on and on about a veggie sandwich, that's all it is.

That's like me grilling a portabella, slicing it up, slapping it on a sandwich in place of beef, serving with au jus and calling it a French Dip, actually come to think of it that does sound pretty good. But it needs a name, French Dip doesn't work. I guess Portabella Dip will have to work.

The point is, if it doesn't have corned beef it isn't a Reuben. OK, that's all. Now I will go have my coffee.  ;)  :) 

bob