Author Topic: Cauliflower steaks  (Read 2581 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Cauliflower steaks
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:00:07 AM »
I made these last night. Cut 3 steaks out of the head (the rest I cut up and threw into my roasted veggie medley).

Brushed them on both sides with a mix of olive oil, chicken bullion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.

On a baking sheet into a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes until they started to take on some brown around the edges and the stem was soft.

Topped with a little grated sharp cheddar cheese and some dipping sauce (in this case, ketchup, it's what I had, and it paired with the turkey burger I made).

Quite excellent, but I think I'd turn the oven up to 450 to get a bit more brown going on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Cauliflower steaks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
Shared this with my wife, a known lover of cauliflower. So we'll be doing this soon, thanks. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »
They also grill up nicely, a light coating of olive oil and some salt/pepper and you are good to go.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds interesting.  Do you think they would panfry okay (dry skillet) instead of baking?
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Some recipes do all for a hot pan sear the dropping the temp to finish cooking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Cauliflower steaks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds interesting.  Do you think they would panfry okay (dry skillet) instead of baking?
I don't see why not. Fondant is a classic french preparation, typical for potatoes or other starchy root vegetables, but especially in modern cooking it is used on other vegetables that hold up well to such cooking.

Essentially the veg in cut into a thick slab, browned well on both sides in butter, and then finished with the addition of water or stock about 3/4 up the side of the veg with a healthy amount of butter to braise and finish them off. There's quite a bit of variation, bit that's the gist of it.

I see absolutely no reason such would not work for cauliflower. I also see no reason one couldn't significantly lighten it up, would loose some of the richness of the original dish but the basic technique would remain the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.