Author Topic: Roasted Okra  (Read 3159 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Roasted Okra
« on: July 31, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
This is our preferred method of preparing okra (behind pickling, but that's much more involved):

Slice okra.
Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Cook at 400° for 10-12 minutes.
Cool.
Serve.

Very quick and easy and even had people who thought they disliked okra asking for more. It counteracts the "slimy" effect that turns many people off.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Roasted Okra
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:26:50 AM »
I prefer my okra in a garbage can.

I've never been able to develop a taste for it no matter how it's prepared. Roasted, fried, boiled, stewed, gumbo, whatever, I don't like it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
I prefer my okra in a garbage can.

I've never been able to develop a taste for it no matter how it's prepared. Roasted, fried, boiled, stewed, gumbo, whatever, I don't like it.

I am the same way, I used to get shipped off to Alabama every summer to give my parents a break and I had an Aunt there that would boil it until she had a bowl of this slimy green stuff. I don't think she even chewed the stuff, just let it slide down her gullet.  [barf]

Bob (still gives me the shivers!!)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
I am the same way, I used to get shipped off to Alabama every summer to give my parents a break and I had an Aunt there that would boil it until she had a bowl of this slimy green stuff. I don't think she even chewed the stuff, just let it slide down her gullet.  [barf]

Bob (still gives me the shivers!!)

It's not slimy at all when roasted. May want to try it that way. (I don't care for the slimy preparations, either.)

Deep fried is very tasty too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »
It's not slimy at all when roasted. May want to try it that way. (I don't care for the slimy preparations, either.)

Deep fried is very tasty too.

Kind of a funny story. After I left the Navy and decided to go to nursing school I moved back to Oklahoma. During my Nutrition class a few of the women in the class discovered that fried okra wasn't in the text book for a calorie count. It seemed that in the 25 years I was gone from the area fried okra had become a thing. From the size of some of those women it was a big thing, something they would eat everyday, but I digress. Anyhow, they raised such a stink about it that someone called the textbook company and the very next year the new textbooks had okra prepared every imaginable way listed so they could do their calorie counts and what not.

I have looked at fried okra and my mind just keeps saying "nope" to that also.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
"Deep fried is very tasty too."

Yeah....

No it's not.

[barf]

:rofl: :rofl:

I've had it just about every way it can be prepared. If I can't eat it fried, there's no way I'm going to be able to eat it.

That said, I can tolerate it in gumbo, but I'm not crazy about it.

That vexes me, because I don't like not liking certain things.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »
I once made the mistake of eating a whole one from my mother in law's stew.  I about gagged.

A friend of ours (from Texas) once talked me into growing some so she could show us the joys of fried okra.  It tasted like fried corn meal.  Some people like it pickled, but I'll stick to my dill pickles.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
I like pickled okra
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 02:03:15 AM »
Grandad's deep fried okra was the only okra I would eat. Campbell's Vegetable soup (Alphabet) had Okra in it too, way back when. I remember the little soft, brown seeds. Also had barley. And baby lima beans and peas. I remember!  :old: Typical lunch ~1972 (for me) was a bologna sandwich and a bowl of Campbell's Vegetable/Alphabet soup.
Now, it's just tomato juice, potatoes, and Alphabet pasta. Basically. Not the same.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
I read the topic as ‘roasted orca,’ but am disappointed that the thread is about a barely edible plant  :'(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama