Author Topic: The New Magnum PI  (Read 5101 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The New Magnum PI
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
I was a huge fan of the original.   Thursday nights on CBS were my favorite TV nights, other than Miami Vice on Friday. 

One wonders what they could do for a Miami Vice reimagining. Maybe a smaller version, called Miami ViceGrips? Or go all out and call it Miami Hydraulic Press?

Oh ... different kind of "vice" -- nemmind.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »

Side note: I recently splurged on the DVD set of the complete series. I'm really enjoying watching the entire original again. Though I forgot how often Magnum walks around with his finger on the trigger of his 1911.  :laugh:

I tend not to be too harsh on old movies and shows for that.  I seem to recall that back when the FBI adopted the Smith 1076, they taught agents to "prep" the trigger on the draw, which meant the agent would not only put their finger on the trigger, but actually put pressure on the trigger.  If that was what they were teaching Feds in the real world, I can overlook Magnum putting his finger in the trigger guard in make-believe.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 01:25:31 AM »
Ha. I can see now why Tom Selleck refuses to support the new show. It apparently debuted, and the first thing that happened was some group is already complaining that it is not diverse enough and that they need to fire the Hispanic playing Magnum and hire a Hawaiian. Producers respond by listing all the LGBTQHJGFHGLDJG people they have on the show instead of saying FOAD. The real Magnum would have said FOAD.

I've never seen the show. I probably didn't have TV then. But here's another meme.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »
I tend not to be too harsh on old movies and shows for that.  I seem to recall that back when the FBI adopted the Smith 1076, they taught agents to "prep" the trigger on the draw, which meant the agent would not only put their finger on the trigger, but actually put pressure on the trigger.  If that was what they were teaching Feds in the real world, I can overlook Magnum putting his finger in the trigger guard in make-believe.

I agree.  The booger hook on the bang switch commandment is a relatively new thing.  It's a good new thing, though.  I've seen pix of soldiers and Marines in Viet Nam doing it all the time.  (And carrying their rifles by the carrying handle, which later turned out to be "not-a-carrying handle.")

You really want to see gaspworthy old gun-handling, watch a couple of episodes of "McHale's Navy."  That always surprised me because Borgnine had been in the military (Navy) for quite a while.  When I say "gaspworthy," I really mean it.  Three or four of them standing around waving .45s at each other like they were index fingers.

I haven't seen the new "Magnum," but from the descriptions, the gloppy-sugary hyper-diversity angle would turn me off, too.  That used to be one of my favorite shows.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:24:08 AM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »
^^^A little known fact is that the “carry handle” of an AR-15 is indeed not a handle it was a guard for the top mounted charging handle of the original AR-10. The charging handle was then moved to its current location making the “carry handle” superfluous
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
I tend not to be too harsh on old movies and shows for that. 

On a tangent, the old Magnum PI would likely never make it to the airwaves today. There are at least 50 "metoo" violations in every single episode.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
^^^A little known fact is that the “carry handle” of an AR-15 is indeed not a handle it was a guard for the top mounted charging handle of the original AR-10. The charging handle was then moved to its current location making the “carry handle” superfluous

It's a well-known fact to anyone who's been to boot camp.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:54:55 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:59 AM »
evidently it is just beyond the ability of today's producers and writers to come up with anything original.    Like Jack Ryan or now Magnum PI.
Remakes are rarely, if ever, better than the original. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
So, did anyone watch it.  Glad they didn't screw up the music.  It was, in fact, a complete copy of the original, with the exception of Higgins being a woman, and the crew having served together in the sandbox, not Viet Nam.  All that said, it was okay for mindless entertainment.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
Yeah ... pretty much a clone ... maybe a tiny bit of frog DNA thrown in.  The jump from the .... second ... demolishing Ferrari was, well, pretty dang incredible. 
This is apparently going to crossover with Hawaii Five-O.  I hope McGarrett and Magnum get along ok,  'cause Thomas doesn't seem quit so well versed in physical self defense as McGarrett. 
I think I might enjoy this new reboot.  I'll stick around. :cool:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 12:42:31 AM »

The Original AR-15.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »
So, did anyone watch it.  Glad they didn't screw up the music.  It was, in fact, a complete copy of the original, with the exception of Higgins being a woman, and the crew having served together in the sandbox, not Viet Nam.  All that said, it was okay for mindless entertainment.

I watched the first few minutes of it before I went to bed.

The music was the first thing I keyed in on, as well...

Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

You will NEVER go wrong with Thunderstruck...

I'm going to give it a look tonight to see what it's like. I'm hoping that's it's not as bad as it's being made out to be, but I'm thinking yeah, it's going to be pretty bad.

But still... Perdida Weeks... a BIG step up over Jonathan Hillerman...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
I'm old.  I was spoilt by the original series.  I watched part of it and then went off and read a book.  When you can blow up an MRAP looking vehicle with a handgun and make it roll several times and burning the forest...followed by an ambulance with kidnappers who fire hundreds of rounds at the Hispanic Magnum and miss and then drive over and destroy a Ferrari, I'm done.  At least he wore a Detroit Tiger hat.  And I thought the new Higgins was a mortal sin.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
I'm old.  I was spoilt by the original series.  I watched part of it and then went off and read a book.  When you can blow up an MRAP looking vehicle with a handgun and make it roll several times and burning the forest...followed by an ambulance with kidnappers who fire hundreds of rounds at the Hispanic Magnum and miss and then drive over and destroy a Ferrari, I'm done.  At least he wore a Detroit Tiger hat.  And I thought the new Higgins was a mortal sin.

:rofl:

Well, that's show biz.

Terry, 230RN

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
And I thought the new Higgins was a mortal sin.

I'd like to commit a little mortal sin with her.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
OH. MY. GOD.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 12:38:50 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 12:48:35 AM »
Oh. My. G-d., making a remark like that in today's hyper-PC U.S., OMG!

FBI investigation!  FBI investigation!  FBI investigation!  

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!  Blue alert !  Blue alert !  DEVCON Eleventyleven !

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »
Oh your God what?

John Hillerman's  "Higgins"   often said "Oh. My. God"  when one of Magnum's schemes came to light .... or something else Magnum did got Higgins' annoyed.   

It was one of Higgins' more charming traits.  =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
OH. MY. GOD.

I believe that referred back to the remark about wanting to commit a sin with the new Higgins.

Un-PCto the max nowadays.

Y' gotta remember it's not just between us good ole boys on APS.

Now that  you mention it, I can hear the old Higgins' OH. MY. GOD. in my head now regarding that remark.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:49:21 PM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
OH. MY. GOD.

That's what she said!   :rofl: [ar15]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
I didn't remember that about Higgins. Said. It's been a LONG time since I've seen an episode of Magnum.

Fly320s

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
I didn't remember that about Higgins. Said. It's been a LONG time since I've seen an episode of Magnum.

I just finished off season 4 of the boxed set I recently bought. Such a great show. Though I'm starting to recall that season 8 may be a bit of a letdown. IIRC, season 7 was supposed to be it, but then they got another season and had to work it in. I think season 8 is when they went all in on the Higgins/Masters thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »
I've thought about springing for the boxed set, but I've got other things to spend money on.

Two of my favorite TV episodes ever are from season 3, episodes 1 and 2 -- Did you See the Sunrise?

That was a break from seasons 1 and 2 in which Magnum was almost a comedic character and a playboy.

Did you See the Sunrise established Magnum as a far more complex, darker character, and that continued on into the series and made it a LOT better overall.