Author Topic: Hot sauce, from condiment to pain generator  (Read 4163 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Hot sauce, from condiment to pain generator
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
I'm not timid with hot sauce. The common store brands do very little for me. I will liberally apply habernero sauce at times and enjoy it.
But this morning I found my upper scoville limits.
A friend of mine has been growing his peppers and experimenting and he gave me 2 bottles to try. The mango and habernero hot sauce was really good on my Cajun egg scramble this morning.
The straight ghost pepper sauce was nothing but painful. I couldn't taste anything but searing fire. I threw it in the trash. I have no desire to experience that again.
So when I next see him, I'll have to tell him one was very good and the other not so good, unless you are really out to hurt someone.
He told me he has a batch of Carolina reaper sauce also but I am not interested.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Hot sauce, from condiment to pain generator
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
My hot pepper plants (Chocolate ghost pepper, Carolina Reaper and Bleeding Borg) plants aren't doing anything this year, not even growing very well. It's disappointing, I have some friends that I was going to give some peppers to for their use.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:12:31 PM »
My serrano peppers are just coming in.  They are nice and hot but not too painful.  I also like the little Thai peppers from the Asian market; I can munch those, but if I eat more than about 5 or 6 in a day I pay for it the next.  Seems like they all arrive at my colon at the same time...  (TMI)

I'm growing some weird chiletepin x "Lemon Drop" cross peppers this year for the first time.  No idea how hot those will be.  I have some that might be ready to pick, but I don't know so I'm waiting until the first one starts to change color.

I've had the same bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce on my desk for about 5 years.  I've used about half of it.  One big drop is enough to season a bowl of soup or can of ravioli.  Two drops is too much.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
SMH.  I never have been able to figure out why people put peppers in food that scorches the skin off'n the roof of their mouth, causes contractions in the swallow tubes, exercises the sweat glands, induces hiccups of the grandiose kind, projectile vomiting and as a final bow out, scorches the sphincter and melts the wax ring in the terlett.  Am I missing anything?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »
I like mild to moderate heat. Tabasco brand is a bit too hot for me. Worse, it doesn't have much flavor.

That's why I like Louisiana hot sauce. It has a decent amount of heat but it has incredible flavor. It really pops. Best of all, it's cheap. Walmart carries it for $1.49 or so for a 12 ounce bottle. A 3 ounce bottle of Tabasco is nearly triple that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »
Cholula is my go-to. Has flavors that actually... flavor. Not just vinegar, salt, and heat.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
I like the green habernero el yucateco for heat and flavor. The mango habernero sauce he gave me is a nice sweet and moderate hot.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »
Cholula is my go-to. Has flavors that actually... flavor. Not just vinegar, salt, and heat.

Brad

I'm down with the Cholula - it's what I keep at home. I wish more restaurants would carry it. Like Mike, Tabasco is a little hot for me. If that's all a place has for my breakfast eggs, I'll use it, but only a few drops.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 01:22:28 AM »
I'm seeing Cholula at a whole lot of restaurants lately.

Tabasco comes in a variety of flavors now, although you tend to lose the purity of the vinegar/salt/pepper carb-cleaner-ness of the original. I like the Chipotle flavor.

I've been trying Louisiana Hot Sauce lately (the official hot sauce of Mike Irwin), and I grudgingly admit that I enjoy it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 01:19:52 AM »
Pretty good with standard "Huy-Fong" Sriracha and Tabasco. Really don't feel the need to go any hotter.  If I want hotter, then more!
Cholula and Frank's Red-Hot - why bother? Can't even taste them.
I do have a small bottle of Dave's Insanity. It has it's uses. Anything beyond that is just too much, and I regularly order "thai-hot" from the local pad-thai joint. That stuff will peel paint, but *so* good. Their fish cakes are excellent. Thai Cuisine restaurant on Coors and Montano.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
I've discovered I'm not really interested in pepper-based heat.

I'd like something hot that then goes away (horseradish) or a slow, building heat (curry).

I don't like the lingering heat of peppers. I'm fine with it, so long as it's not too hot, but the "bet you can't handle this!" heat seems pointless to me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought