Author Topic: Should this CCW have chased his attacker?  (Read 2066 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Should this CCW have chased his attacker?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »
Apropos of this discussion, Denver PD is starting to implement new use of force policies, including:

...officers may not use lethal force:
•Solely to effect an arrest
•To prevent a suspect from escaping
•On a person who only poses a danger to themselves

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-police-rolling-out-new-use-of-force-policy-training-officers-on-new-guidelines

There are several articles extant on this matter, but I've used up my "freebie" hits on them.

Terry

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
^^^

Will they have to remove the PIT maneuver from their bag o' tricks. I can very easily see where that intentionally causing someone to wreck their car could be considered lethal force. Or take it as far as any vehicle pursuit, causing people to overdrive their skill level is setting them up for a potential deadly collision, aka lethal. What a slippery slope this could be.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
If the libtards had their way the police could only use force of any kindafter they had been killed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 05:06:28 AM »
I don't know about the PIT maneuver.  From the stuff I've seen on the cop shows, which is a selected-for-high-drama sample, it seems like a pretty dicey option... not only for the Officer and the bad guy, but the general public as well.

Best I can do right now is link to the original draft.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/720/documents/OperationsManual/DPD_UOF_Draft_Policy_12-29-16.pdf
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:29:19 AM by 230RN »