Author Topic: Move to Spokane, Ben  (Read 1478 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Move to Spokane, Ben
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
https://apnews.com/9f39c7975ced48778b661eb9b185a8e2/Growing-Spokane,-Washington,-sheds-its-sleepy-city-image

The AP thinks Spokane is a happening place.  And it is getting its own Amazon fulfillment center out by the airport.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Move to Spokane, Ben
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »
But then he'd have to live in Washington. :P
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 08:36:44 PM »
Split the state along the crest of the mountains and call it West Idaho.  Probably need to annex the coast too and the land along the Columbia River.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »
Split the state along the crest of the mountains and call it West Idaho. 

Do it all the way down the Cascades to the California border while you're at it. I spent a lot of time in Eastern Oregon and wouldn't mind moving back, particularly if I no longer had to deal with Portland's nonsense.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »
The Amazon building is going in very close to my house. It has a 600,000+ sq ft footprint and will be 4 stories for about 2.5 million sq ft. About the time it opens I will be retiring and moving, good timing for selling my house. :)

The assessed value of my house went up by 20k+ last year and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. In the area I live in houses are selling within 1-2 weeks and usually over asking. The one directly across the street went for 35K over asking.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
Ha ha - funny timing. I just blew into Idaho again today. Once again, two of the places I was looking at sold while I was driving up.

I've got an appointment at two more places on Monday, both a little higher than I wanted to go, but they are income farmland with nice homes, and 40 acres of the CA property just went into escrow, so I guess I have the extra ducats, barely.

I do really like that area up there by Spokane through CDA (in the Summer), and especially up to Bonner's Ferry (very popular with the redoubt crowd). Plus I could be a pain in the ass to Bob.  :laugh:

But being within an hour of Boise makes it easier for me if I have to head back to CA in a hurry for my dad, who I can't convince to move with me. Plus having just got back to my room from the Sandbar outdoor restaurant on the river, there are a LOT of hot chicks around here, and they're all friendly.

Side note - where I come from pasture ground is the lowest income ground. Not up here. One of the places I'm looking at, the owner lets his friend graze cattle on his pasture, and the friend rate is $250/head/year (one head =~1acre). That's as much as you get leasing row crop land per acre in CA.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Do it all the way down the Cascades to the California border while you're at it. I spent a lot of time in Eastern Oregon and wouldn't mind moving back, particularly if I no longer had to deal with Portland's nonsense.

Yeah, Central and Eastern Oregon are the bomb. I love the Sisters area, and Grant County has the best sheriff in the country. Other than politics, Oregon would still be my state of choice, but the commies totally blew it for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Good Lord, when I had a pasture we were shooting for 1.5 acres per cow and $6/ month rent. Doesn't make money but it does keep the IRS off your back. :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
Interesting enough today's printed rag had an article about home values in Spokane. Demand from those moving from the other side of the state has to be playing into this some I believe. Housing is nearly unaffordable in the Seattle area so over  here they come. :(

These ones are pretty extreme:

The single family home that jumped the greatest dollar amount from 2017 to 2018 – up $190,850 to more than $1.5 million – is on High Drive on the South Hill. The home was not remodeled and had no new additions, and it still increased in value by more than $500 a day.

Another house, just southwest of the city, saw its value jump by 30 percent to nearly $700,000. In other words, it gained $18 an hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/12/housing-market-gone-bonkers-leads-to-leaps-in-spok/

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »

Good Lord, when I had a pasture we were shooting for 1.5 acres per cow and $6/ month rent. Doesn't make money but it does keep the IRS off your back. :D

Lucky bastiges. Around here it's about 25 acres per head. Even more this year due to drought.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
Lucky bastiges. Around here it's about 25 acres per head. Even more this year due to drought.

Brad

I'm thinking the price here is both irrigated pasture, and possibly planted with some variety of orchard grass that the millionaires in Star and Eagle (wealthy towns next to Boise) on their ten acre estates with the Dexter cows go nuts for. People are apparently ridiculously into specific grass fed beef around here, and money is no object.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
Could be worse, in northern Nevada I asked and it was about 40 acres of BLM to support one crappy looking cow. In Norway they irrigated their hay fields, never seen that, I suppose they have to get three good cuts to make winter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:55 AM »
Could be worse, in northern Nevada I asked and it was about 40 acres of BLM to support one crappy looking cow. In Norway they irrigated their hay fields, never seen that, I suppose they have to get three good cuts to make winter.

I was out the other day and noticed someone irrigating their alfalfa field, that's the first time I have ever seen that.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
I was out the other day and noticed someone irrigating their alfalfa field, that's the first time I have ever seen that.

bob

It's surprising to me that that is surprising to you. I thought everybody West of the Rockies irrigated their Summer row crops. I didn't know you guys got enough Summer rain up there to grow without irrigating.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Alfalfa and wheat are the main dry crops here. Most everything else gets irrigated, especially near the center of the state. Good thing they have that river running through it to pull water from.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

They irrigate via sandpoint here in Iowa if the water table is high enough for many crops. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »
Alfalfa and wheat are the main dry crops here. Most everything else gets irrigated, especially near the center of the state. Good thing they have that river running through it to pull water from.

bob

Interesting. We do Winter wheat as a dry crop, but alfalfa (and everything else) always gets irrigated may-sep.