Author Topic: Fried Smoked Chicken ?!?!?!  (Read 2520 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Fried Smoked Chicken ?!?!?!
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
I have some good friends coming over for dinner this weekend, it is time for one of my two times a year southern fried chicken with all of the trimmings meals. I usually do the chicken, buttermilk biscuits made with lard, mashed potatoes and gravy, both with heavy whipping cream and corn. This year I am also doing a blackberry cobbler, when I was at the fruit stand the other day buying fresh local peaches they had fresh blackberries for me. :)

I am thinking of teasing his taste buds a bit. I am going to sous vide a couple of chicken thighs the day before to 140 degrees and then chill them. The day of cooking I am going to cold smoke them for a couple of hours to impart that smokiness we all love so much. Then I am going to fry them like the rest of the chicken. I am still debating whether or not to fry them separately because I don't want to give my gravy a smoky flavor. It seems like a lot of work but it really shouldn't be and besides it will all be worth it in the end when he takes that first bite, hopefully.

The only thing I am worried about is food safety, if cooked and then cold smoked I believe the chicken should be safe, opinions? Is it a viable idea or am I setting someone up for a food borne illness, like salmonella?

bob
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:55:31 AM by BobR »

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Fried Smoked Chicken ?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
140 degrees will not kill bacteria spores, which could then come to life in the smoker.  OTOH, the frying should heat the surfaces enough kill anything nasty and denature any toxins (from Clostridium, Staphylococcus, etc)

I think it's marginally safe.  Better if you cure the meat with nitrites, but then it will taste like ham instead of chicken...

Go for it, but wash the chicken thoroughly before you cook it.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
I should have known this was a thing and done a search first. It just seemed kind of different enough that it isn't common.  =|

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cold+smoking+chicken&view=detail&mid=5B95EFDD780C231E3ED45B95EFDD780C231E3ED4&FORM=VIRE

bob

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:03:26 AM »
Sous vide to 160F to kill pathogenic bacteria like salmonella.  When cold smoking the main issue is botulism.  If it's not an air tight smoker (i.e. plenty of ventilation) and the duration isn't very long you'll probably be just fine.  If all you want some good smoke flavor I'd only smoke them for 1-2 hours.  If you're worried then you can partially cure the meat with some #1 pink salt.  Aim for 100ppm nitrites and you should be ok.