Author Topic: The rise and fall of mayonnaise.  (Read 4446 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The rise and fall of mayonnaise.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
I'm obviously not a millennial, then (as if there was any doubt). I eat mayonnaise. I eat potato salad, macaroni salad, tuna fish salad, chicken salad (on rare occasion) ... and I love deviled eggs. And the only true mayonnaise in my family has always been Hellmann's real egg mayonnaise.

Where I draw the line, though, is lobster salad. When McDonald's introduced their grossly over-priced "lobster roll," I had to try one. PHAAAAGG! A New England lobster roll is picked lobster meat sauteed in butter (nothing else), served on a lightly grilled (not toasted) New England-style (sliced vertically) hot dog bun. Mooshing up lobster meat with mayonnaise and celery and serving it cold is not a lobster roll, it's lobster salad. Lobster salad belongs on a plate, not in a roll.

NO:

It has mayonnaise, which has not place in a real New England lobster roll.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:09:19 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
I'm part of the last cohort of Gen X (yeah, the generation they STILL haven't bothered to name), and I love mayo and Miracle Whip.

I'll not be abandoning it, and my children seem perfectly happy with it.

"Good ol’ mayo has become the Taylor Swift of condiments."

You know, I'm not much into modern music, but I'm fairly certain ANYONE would be happy to be the Taylor Swift of anything. The woman is worth millions and sells millions of songs.

And, I'm fairly certain all the "specialty mustard/ketchup/salsa" stuff is a fad and people will enjoy it for a while... and return to things that have been popular for years for the same reason they were popular for years: they are tasty.1

1: provided the premise of this article is even true. I suspect CERTAIN millenials hate it. And that they mostly share many other common traits that he outlined in the article.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:53:10 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
Mayonnaise is racist.

You should only use condiments of color.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
They can pay the Mayo from my cold dead hands

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
I'm a middle gen Xer never really cared for Mayo on sandwiches. Grew up with Miracle Whip, really don't care for that much anymore either. I do like Mayo in things, like potato salad, etc. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
This first cohort GenXer never understood the attraction to mayonnaise.  To my palette its' bland goo better used to tack up wallpaper.  Miracle whip with its hefty dose of acetic acid was always preferred. 

You should only use condiments of color.

Absolutely.  And the color should be pink.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
I keep a bottle of Dukes in the fridge for emergencies,  but for daily use,  I just make my own Mayo.  Quick,  easy,  tastes much better than store bought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
for daily use,  I just make my own Mayo.  Quick,  easy,  tastes much better than store bought.

OH EMM GEE! Something we actually agree on...   :O

:rofl:

Since I started my diet I've largely quit eating mayo (I used to freaking slather it on my sammiches). This bottle of Helman's is over 2 months old and there's still half of it left. In the fatter days, I'd go through a bottle of mayo in 3 weeks...

But yes, homemade mayo is almost always better than store bought.

One of my favorites is to use rice wine vinegar. Another favorite is to add tarragon and chervil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »

OH EMM GEE! Something we actually agree on...   :O

:rofl:

Since I started my diet I've largely quit eating mayo (I used to freaking slather it on my sammiches). This bottle of Helman's is over 2 months old and there's still half of it left. In the fatter days, I'd go through a bottle of mayo in 3 weeks...

But yes, homemade mayo is almost always better than store bought.

One of my favorites is to use rice wine vinegar. Another favorite is to add tarragon and chervil.

Plus, that hipster mayo makes a great beard oil!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife