Author Topic: Learned something interesting, low-background steel.  (Read 1155 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Learned something interesting, low-background steel.
« on: August 20, 2018, 12:59:47 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Apparently steel made before the testings of the first atomic bombs are called this as all steel made afterwards is contaminated slightly because the air used in production is contaminated with radionuclides. This is important for sensitive instruments like Geiger counters. Apparently a lot of this steel comes from sunken battleships.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Learned something interesting, low-background steel.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »
That is cool.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:57:38 AM »
Some of the low-background steel that made up USS Indiana's hull was recycled to create the low background counting chamber at the in Vivo Radioassay and Research Facility (IVRRF) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.  Same with hulks of USS Illinois and Kentucky.  Well, that parts that weren't used to repair the other Iowa's
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:40:32 AM »
So maybe we can mine "Iron Bottom Bay" AKA "Iron Bottom Sound?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironbottom_Sound

(However: "For many Navy sailors, and those who served in the area during that time, the waters in this area are considered sacred, and strict silence is observed as ships cruise through.[citation needed])

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:12:07 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
One of the ways that art investigators can determine if a painting is authentic or a later forgery is if the linseed oil, canvas, and any organic pigments contain atomic-age radioactive isotopes.

Some years ago there was a furor over an unknown painting by, IIRC, Van Gogh being "discovered." It was stylistically spot on, even the brushwork was consistent with the period in which it was thought to have been painted, and the canvas and wood stretcher were of the period, as well.

It finally came to light as a forgery when the linseed oil was tested and was found to contain isotopes that didn't show up until atomic bombs started going off in the atmosphere in the 1940s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
"So maybe we can mine "Iron Bottom Bay" AKA "Iron Bottom Sound?""

Sure, why not. The dead aren't using them anymore.  :facepalm:

But, then again, you'd better hurry, because illegal salvagers are already hard at work.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
"So maybe we can mine "Iron Bottom Bay" AKA "Iron Bottom Sound?""

Sure, why not. The dead aren't using them anymore.  :facepalm:

But, then again, you'd better hurry, because illegal salvagers are already hard at work.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks

Well, I'll be darned.  I didn't know that.  I read that link all the way through... that's terrible.

Just goes to show  you.  Even what started out as a joke on my part can turn out awful.  I apologize to all.

Terry, :(

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:25:06 AM »
I caught wind of it last year. I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or not, but several warship wrecks have literally disappeared.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »
I caught wind of it last year. I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or not, but several warship wrecks have literally disappeared.

My immediate thought was China.

Reading the article... my immediate thought was spot on.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
One of the ways that art investigators can determine if a painting is authentic or a later forgery is if the linseed oil, canvas, and any organic pigments contain atomic-age radioactive isotopes.

The spike and following decline in atmospheric carbon 14 has also proven very useful in dating human tissue
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nuclear-bombs-made-it-possible-to-carbon-date-human-tissue-20074710/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
It's amazing how low the limits of detection are, if they can detect those isotopes in recent steel, etc.

I remember running into an EPA regulation years ago where the legal definition of some level of contamination was "to the limits of detection."

I don't know if that still stands, but in my perverse little mind I was thinking, "Jeeze, someday one molecule of (that contaminant) in an acre-foot of water could be in violation."

Yeah, I know, mass spectrometry and all, but it still seems strange to me that such small amounts of radionuclides could affect background radiation measurements.  Well, steel is iron + carbon, so....

Too bad people are raiding the sunken ships just for that.  I'm surprised the demand is that great that they need to do it.

So keep your antique firearms under wraps, you never know...

Also interesting about DittoHead's comments above.

Terry

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 07:46:33 AM »
Here's an interesting bit of history that ties in.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a21382/how-kodak-accidentally-discovered-radioactive-fallout/

That's a neat article. I'd never heard anything about that before.

I do know that in the days after the bombings in Japan that Japanese doctors and hospitals near the bombing sites discovered that all of their X-Ray film had been rendered useless, and that's what gave the government confirmation that the Americans had, in fact, dropped atomic weapons.