Author Topic: So what are we cooking for Labor Day?  (Read 4921 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
So what are we cooking for Labor Day?
« on: August 31, 2018, 09:02:51 PM »
I have a tri-tip roast in brine/brewed coffee/cocoa powder sitting overnight. Going to get rubbed, then going over charcoal/hickory chunks in the morning. Sauce after.

2 dozen hard-boiled, peeled eggs will go in the smoke for about 1/2 an hour, then deviled with Old Bay, brown mustard, a bit of mayonnaise.

Vegetables? What vegetables?

Naah, roasted, smoked Jalapenos and small, sweet peppers stuffed with cheese and bacon. And corn, and salad.

So, what's on the menu? Happy Friday and Happy long weekend!

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: So what are we cooking for Labor Day?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:28:01 PM »
I'm actually doing a tri tip as well. I've been eating a lot of tri tip lately and experimenting with different rubs of combined seasonings I have in the cupboard. My current concoction is salt and pepper, then a coating of mayonnaise, then some Santa Maria seasoning, Cabela's Kansas City Rub, and a little mesquite seasoning.

I set my propane grill on high for around 15min, then toss the tri tip directly on the grate for a few minutes per side, then keep high heat on the grate side and turn the other side to low and throw the tri tip into a cast iron pan on the low side. Turn a few times until I get to medium rareish, and I've ended up with a nice tasty crust and great burnt ends as well.

Will be adding sourdough biscuits made with my latest batch of wild yeast sourdough starter, plus we have a couple of rows of sweet corn mixed in with the feed corn that should be ready about now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
Oh, and a platter of sliced, fresh, garden tomatoes. That was a staple at every meal mid-late Summer for me.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:47:40 PM »
I'm actually doing a tri tip as well. I've been eating a lot of tri tip lately and experimenting with different rubs of combined seasonings I have in the cupboard. My current concoction is salt and pepper, then a coating of mayonnaise, then some Santa Maria seasoning, Cabela's Kansas City Rub, and a little mesquite seasoning.

I set my propane grill on high for around 15min, then toss the tri tip directly on the grate for a few minutes per side, then keep high heat on the grate side and turn the other side to low and throw the tri tip into a cast iron pan on the low side. Turn a few times until I get to medium rareish, and I've ended up with a nice tasty crust and great burnt ends as well.

Will be adding sourdough biscuits made with my latest batch of wild yeast sourdough starter, plus we have a couple of rows of sweet corn mixed in with the feed corn that should be ready about now.
Sounds excellent! I know a lot of BBQ from Alabama (I think) involves mayonnaise. Never used it, personally. Will try it, eventually. I grew up Mid-Atlantic states, just over Eastern NC. That BBQ is vinegar and red pepper flakes , topped with coleslaw, on a toasted bun. Good stuff. Biscuits sound good. I am a horrible baker...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
In some parts of America, it wouldn't surprise me if a portion of the immigrant community is planning a traditional feast of Long Pig . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
I was a guest at a whole hog roast last weekend (and ate my share!) so I think I'll do beef briskit this weekend.
Wife wants to get last years beef out of the freezer before this years arrives. My cousin grows some damn good beef. All natural grass pastured, almost certified organic, and gluten free! He even grows his own non GMO corn for his finishing feed.
Sposed to rain all weekend so I'll have to park the pit barrel out of the rain for best results. About 6 hours for the small briskit. Dry rub (maybe the wife's coffee and ancho rub- she is the spice queen) and then apple cider in the double wrap foil after it reaches 160 in the smoke and then parked on top rack. Then when it gets to about 195 it gets wrapped in a blanket and rest in an insulated cooler for a good while.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »
Dove breasts wrapped in bacon and a chili pepper, cooked over wood.  Cheesy potatoes and who knows what else.  And a big plate of fresh tomatoes.

We're having our annual opening day here.  About 15 hunters in the field, doves are kind of scarce, but I've heard a lot of shooting down by the river.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
Dove opener here too.  I skipped it. It's the first year without old Romy, and I just didn't have the heart. Hunting with the dog was 90% of the fun for me, whether we shot anything or not. I didn't hear much shooting this morning either. They seem scarcer than ever before. Of course most of the corn is still up, so they may be somewhere else in the region.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
We have a craft beer shindig and street food fair this weekend in town. I will partaking in that fun.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »
Dove tastes like liver to me...just doesn't appeal.
Whole hog BBQ - yes, been to a few, that's the way, back home. Good stuff. Vinegar and red pepper.
Just finished 2x12 hardboiled, peeled eggs in the smoker - will be deviled with brown mustard, mayonnaise, and Old Bay.
Also just finished 2 lbs smoked pepper Jack cheese.  That's some good s-- stuff.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »
I bought a package of fresh bratwurst and a big package of chicken thighs at Aldi just now.  I will grill one or the other (maybe both).  Also there's a farm stand near my church that allegedly is selling Black Diamond (or maybe it's Stone Mountain) watermelons.  I'll stop by tomorrow after church and probably get one.

I'm also planning to brew a beer sorta like Bell's Two Hearted.  It'll be the most hops I've ever used in the beer before; first time I've ever added hops to the fermenter.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
Smoking a brisket.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
Roasted the duck we bought from the 4H livestock auction.  Really disappointed, for the amount of messing around I had into it.  4.5 lbs carcass was a pretty darned light meal for two. 

That said,  the haul from the garden helps.  Sweet cord, tomatoes, and zukes fried with onions.  That's some good eating.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Nothing special.

May grill some turkey burgers and veggies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
I'm working today, so not a lot.

I did, however, smoke 6 chicken breasts on Saturday for use this week. (Sandwiches, salads, gumbo)

I'm planning to cook up some Italian sausages and peppers and onions for dinner tonight, though.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Smoked the briskit today which resulted in slobbering deliciousness. Did some garlic roast potatoes with it.
Filled the grill with chicken elbows last night. I thought they were great but the spice queen said too much red pepper flakes.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »
Kinda hard to go wrong with a low-slow brisket!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 01:21:42 AM »
^^^

How did the eggs turn out. I have never smoked cooked eggs before, I usually do raw eggs for about 2 hours, cooks and smokes without getting rubbery.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
Chicken elbows...

What the hell are chicken elbows?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Chicken elbows...

What the hell are chicken elbows?

I'm going with "wings" as the answer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
Smoked the briskit today which resulted in slobbering deliciousness. Did some garlic roast potatoes with it.
Filled the grill with chicken elbows last night. I thought they were great but the spice queen said too much red pepper flakes.

We kind of did the same - on a Keto diet so the rub on the brisket was salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Roasted brussel sprouts, and riced cauliflower "mashed potatoes".

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
^^^

How did the eggs turn out. I have never smoked cooked eggs before, I usually do raw eggs for about 2 hours, cooks and smokes without getting rubbery.

bob
Cooked and peeled, they only need ~1/2 hour of smoke. Any more and they do get rubbery.