Author Topic: My grill  (Read 4943 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
My grill
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
My grill -
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: My grill
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Orange juice/rubbed brisket after 6 hours of smoke -

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »
Is that one of those combo propane one side/charcoal on the other grills?

I saw one of those on clearance at Lowe's the other week and really had to think long and hard about it...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
really had to think long and hard about it...

That's what she said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
Is that one of those combo propane one side/charcoal on the other grills?

I saw one of those on clearance at Lowe's the other week and really had to think long and hard about it...
It is. Propane on the left (with a side burner, out of the picture), charcoal on the right, and a smoker box far right. I looked at it for ~6 months before buying it. Price dropped by ~$75 and I bought it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Nice.

I was seriously considering making my own grilling table for my Weber, but haven't gotten around to it.

I really like charcoal, but there are times that propane, while I really don't like it, would be a lot more convenient.

I may have to give one of these another look. They're on the Lowes site for $300, but that's absent the smoker box.

Tractor Supply lists a combo with a smoker box from Smoke Hollow, but it's $500. Oh, wait... It's a BIG one, almost 1,450 square inches of cooking surface. That's pretty good...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
Nice.

I was seriously considering making my own grilling table for my Weber, but haven't gotten around to it.

I really like charcoal, but there are times that propane, while I really don't like it, would be a lot more convenient.

I may have to give one of these another look. They're on the Lowes site for $300, but that's absent the smoker box.

Tractor Supply lists a combo with a smoker box from Smoke Hollow, but it's $500. Oh, wait... It's a BIG one, almost 1,450 square inches of cooking surface. That's pretty good...

I had the SMoke Hollow one, both grills have pretty much rusted out after three years.  3/10 do not recommend.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
I think I'm gonna get one of those combo grills for my next one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
I currently have a small* grill that I have adapted for smoker use in addition to grilling.

Beside it sits my outdoor griddle. So if I want to cook something quickly and conveniently, the griddle can be fired up and ready in a couple minutes. If I want the grilled (or smoked) flavor, I can spend more time preparing the actual grill.

I love the versatility these two provide. I also love that I can go outside and cook up any number of dishes that would not work on a grill. I can make 12-18 pancakes in about 5 or 10 minutes. Makes breakfast quick and easy.  I also have cooked up several pounds of hamburger at once for use in lebanese rice or spaghetti or tacos through the week. Of course fried rice is quick and easy on the griddle, too.

Random thought from this, too- how amazingly blessed we are to live in a time where I can cook most of the food for the week over a weekend and not have to worry that it will spoil before it is eaten that week.

*Small by today's standards. I can easily cook 18 hamburgers or smoke a rack of ribs (in 2 halves) on it. That more than enough to provide for my family of 6 and have leftovers without having to cook in shifts.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 07:47:04 AM »
My grill is either an 18" or 21" Weber kettle, can't remember which I got. It's more than big enough for me, but there are times when it would be nice to have something even bigger for doing things like large turkeys. But really, the biggest need I have is work space around whatever grill I have, that's why I was thinking about making a grill table. May still do it... I really like my Weber.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm a bit ridiculous now.  I have:

Rec Tec 680 Pellet Grill/Smoker - mostly used as a smoker as it takes FOREVER to get up to a proper grilling temp.  Also used as a convection oven for t-day turkeys
Weber Spirit E-310 - knocking out something quick for dinner and searing.  The side burner is nice too
Blackstone 36" Propane Griddle - just got it with the idea of doing teppanyaki for the family as well as kick butt breakfasts.

I use all of them...

Wife is giving me a hard time about all the cooking equip on the deck  =D

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 01:40:01 AM »
Keep surfaces on grills rubbed down with vegetable oil and they won't rust out. My grill is over 3 years old and looks brand-new. (Other than the dust that collects on freshly-oiled hot stuff)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »

3 full sides of pork ribs.

My smoker/cooker will be 20 years old come March next year.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
Keep surfaces on grills rubbed down with vegetable oil and they won't rust out. My grill is over 3 years old and looks brand-new. (Other than the dust that collects on freshly-oiled hot stuff)

Interesting.  I'd never heard of doing this, but I suppose that it might protect things similar to the seasoning on cast iron.