Author Topic: The perfect cat name  (Read 3465 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
The perfect cat name
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:26:10 PM »
Michael Katz: "If I get another cat, I shall name him Razorclaw the Almighty, God of Phlebotomy."  :rofl:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The perfect cat name
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »
Why do people give cats names?  It's not like they're gonna come when you call them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:40:52 PM »
They do pay attention when you use their name(s) in the same sentence as "Dinner!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:45:50 AM »
Michael Katz: "If I get another cat, I shall name him Razorclaw the Almighty, God of Phlebotomy."  :rofl:

Yes, yes, I understand.  However, the kneading of the paws in your hair indicates that you are accepted as some sort of funny-looking cat. In other words, you are "in."

The individual names are to differentiate one cat from another amongst humans .  The cats themselves don't really give much of a damn unless a food tribute or "tithe" is involved.  AKA cat taxes.

All in all, my decades of observation of both dogs and cats forces the conclusion that cats are citizens, while dogs are mere subjects.

I love 'em both, but that's just the way things are.

Terry, 230RN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:07:50 AM »
Why do people give cats names?  It's not like they're gonna come when you call them.

My daughter's cat comes when called...by her anyways. Not usually to anyone else.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
One of my cats will come when called. She's pretty affectionate so any chance for a scritch.

Her name is Schrodinger.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
Why do people have cats?   give cats names?  It's not like they're gonna come when you call them.

Fixed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
Fly320s asked,
Why do people have cats?   give cats names?  It's not like they're gonna come when you call them.

Non-cat people have been asking that for millenia.  There is no single answer.  You ask ten cat people that and you'll get ten different answers, no single one of which will be satisfactory to a non-cat person.  Nor will all ten answers put together suffice.

I did notice they definitely save on heating bills in winter.  A cat on your lap will automatically raise the room temperature by 5°F.

Draped over your shoulders it's only about 3°F.

I do not know why cats like to be carried around that way, so don't ask me.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit:
https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/shoulder-cats-felines-like-view
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:45:46 AM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »
My daughter's cat would absolutely not do that.  She doesn't like to be picked up.  Loves to be petted.  Always wants to be in the same room as the people.  Loves my daughter to pieces, only tolerates the rest of us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
"Grimalkin."   It's an archaic  name for a cat, and Nostradamos had a cat by that name.
I never did, but I've had cats named Target,  Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat (T. H. E. Cat), Shambles, Tisiphone, and my current critter, Smudge.
"Razorclaw," b.t.w.,  is a terrific name for a cat.  

Some cats WILL come when called,  others will not,  while others are somewhat of two minds about the matter.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
Fly320s asked,
Non-cat people have been asking that for millenia.  There is no single answer.  You ask ten cat people that and you'll get ten different answers, no single one of which will be satisfactory to a non-cat person.  Nor will all ten answers put together suffice.

Cat people understand without explanation.

Non-cat people will never understand.

Either you are a cat person ... or you're not.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
Phredd (Fred), our favorite cat, was VERY dog like in that he would come when called and was NOT cat like in that he was, well, clumsy as *expletive deleted*it! Great personality and loved me to death. Damn, I miss that damn cat...

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
We had a calico and she was named Gizmo.  She pretty much hated everybody.  She would cuddle, but only on her terms for the time she ascribed to it.

Her partner was Tubby.  She didn't like him either.  He was named that because one of our grandkids found him in the bushes by our house when he was a very young kitten.  He was skin and bones and a day or two away from dying.  We figured somebody chucked him out of a car.  We had a lot of that where we lived at that time.  He eventually grew into his name.

We miss both of those cats.  Giz was 18 and Tubby 16 as close as I can remember when they crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »
Raleigh came when called. Roanoke sometimes does. Mosby and Ashby are either ignoring me or still don't really know their names yet (I'm betting on the former)

Rules when naming cats:

Never name a cat after a god or king. It furthers their delusions of grandeur. We stupidly named a cat Pharaoh. 19 years of insane, demanding and constantly offended cat.

Don't name a cat after a famous guerrilla raider. Mosby will steal the food right off your plate if you're not careful.

Also, don't name a cat after a egotist. Ashby has honeybadger attitude and struts around like he owns the place.

Place names are pretty safe, though.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
Our cat lady friend gives her cats biblical names (obviously), which led to an interesting (to me) occurrence. Recently, she got two kittens, and named them Sarah and Gideon. Soon afterwards, she went out of town on business, and we went over to check on them. For some reason, though they have a larger water supply upstairs, we gave them each a bowl of water down in the kitchen. Or maybe it was food. In any case, Gideon drank warily, constantly looking around. If you recall your flannel-graph Bible stories, that's what Gideon wanted from his soldiers, when they drank from the stream. The ones that kept their eyes open were retained, and the others sent back home.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »
I always liked “Dead Cat” as a proper name.    😜

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 07:47:03 PM »

I have a feeling you don't like cats very much.   :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »
One cat.
One highway.
One semi.
Flatcat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
I don't mind cats as pets.  What I really don't care for is the strays.  Everyone feeds them no one cares about their effect on wildlife.  I guess stray or feral dogs aren't much better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
          MY BLACK BODY CAT

I had a longhaired really fuzzy calico cat named "Phoebe."

I could rarely get a good picture of her because the camera's focusing beam would get lost in her fur and the camera would think it should focus at infinity.  There were tricks to get around this, but I couldn't just point 'n click.

I was not aware of the problem until I got some film back from the drugstore with almost all of the closer pictures of the longhaired calico being blurred. Took me a while to figure out the problem.  Further away, the cat subtended such a small area that the camera would just focus on her surroundings and of course her image would be too small.

I could have named her Blackie for black body, but that would have been very confusing (for the humans)  since one of my other shorthairs had a glossy black coat which did not confuse the camera.  The black cat was named McDougall.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:34:56 AM by 230RN »

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
Ouija.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
Only accurate cat name is Trouble. He's my buddy, a sweetie after dozens of supposed last nights on earth. Looks a lot like Pharoah. 100 lb dogs will double their trip length just to avoid Trouble troubles. Go ahead and stop petting or ignore when you walk by, that's a claw for you.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
This thread brings back a lot of good memories, and a tear that they're gone, about Boomer the big goofball and Minnie the loveable hellion. I'd love to have a couple more roaming around but I'm not home enough to justify having house pets.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
We had a golden angora male cat when I was a kid we named Suzie mainly because he was so hairy, we couldn't find his junk till long after he was accustomed to the name.  He lived in and outside.  He also was king of our neighborhood.  I was sitting on the porch one day and I saw Suzie walking into the tall grass in the lot next door.  You couldn't see him but you could see the grass moving.  A big dumb hound dog was coming down the street from the other direction and he entered the long grass in the lot as well.  The moving grass finally met and their was nothing....then there was yowling and howling and then yipping and yipping and that hound dog came flying out of that lot with his tail was so far between his legs the tip of it extended beyond his muzzle.  A couple minutes later Suzie waltzed out of the lot, turned and gave a disgusted look up the street at brer hound dog making feet, then arrogantly strolled up onto the porch and laid down and went to sleep.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »
We had a golden angora male cat when I was a kid we named Suzie mainly because he was so hairy, we couldn't find his junk till long after he was accustomed to the name.  He lived in and outside.  He also was king of our neighborhood.  I was sitting on the porch one day and I saw Suzie walking into the tall grass in the lot next door.  You couldn't see him but you could see the grass moving.  A big dumb hound dog was coming down the street from the other direction and he entered the long grass in the lot as well.  The moving grass finally met and their was nothing....then there was yowling and howling and then yipping and yipping and that hound dog came flying out of that lot with his tail was so far between his legs the tip of it extended beyond his muzzle.  A couple minutes later Suzie waltzed out of the lot, turned and gave a disgusted look up the street at brer hound dog making feet, then arrogantly strolled up onto the porch and laid down and went to sleep.

Didn't Johnny Cash have a song about that?

Why, yes, he did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4