Author Topic: Any football fans here?  (Read 4577 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Any football fans here?
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:17:43 AM »
Would getting rid of punting improve the game or make it worse?

I'm thinking it could only make it better.

I find the punt game to be the worst part of the football. Make the teams run plays from scrimmage on 4th down. Sure on failed attempts that would leave the opposing team in a good position but that works both ways.

Scoring would likely be higher and the fans would like that.

Also maybe make it that teams can't try field goals if the ball is spotted on the 10 or closer. Run a damn play! Go for the TD!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Any football fans here?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:29:54 AM »
That's the game where they raquet a ball back and forth over a net until someone gets it into the par eighteenth hole?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:42:50 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 01:55:21 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:53:59 AM »
I don't understand why people keep wanting to change the rules. How long has punting been part of the game? Over 100 years?

Leave it be. Or change it. Who cares? We should all be boycotting football anyway, at least until the idiots decide to show respect for the flag and the national anthem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:11:32 AM »
Haven''t watched since 2010, haven't cared since 2015 when a spoiled multi=millionaire athlete, who was adopted by white family, decided to spit upon veterans, police, firefighters, and the military (not to mention regular patriotic Americans) and kneel during the National Anthem to protest Racism or Police or America, or *Spins Wheel*...Trump.

The fact that the player pictured above was the QB for my hometown team is fitting.  I care as much as he did.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
I honestly don't think I have ever sat and watched an entire pro or even college football game, ever.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
College football only.

And only Penn State.

*expletive deleted*ck the NFL, it's highly paid whiners, and it's ahole commissioner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »
I watch college ball, hardly any NFL. The only rule I would add would be any kneeling of the football in the last 2 minutes of play would result in the automatic loss of 7 points for the offensive team. Play it out to the last seconds.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
College football only also.  I can do without the NFL.  I heard ratings were down in the preseason even over last season.  Maybe they will eventually figure it out.

Keep punting.  Keep special teams in general and leave it alone.  IMO, if you get rid of punting, you will be putting a premium on defense as the teams that can hold the opponent without a first down more often will get the advantage.  Offenses will take fewer risks since they can't punt it away.  Scoring might increase but would be more lopsided.  Also, I think you take away a source of unpredictability from the game that makes it more interesting.  

It occurs to me that it would be like eliminating serving in Tennis.  Just have a machine shoot the ball over the net and the players start volleying back and forth.  Maybe switch to using a batting tee in baseball (for safety of course).  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
I haven't watched any American football except for local high school in 20 years. Actually haven't followed any "professional" sports. Totally turned off by the pro athletes.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
meh, I think any rule changes by the NFL to try and "Make the game better" are too little too late at this point.

As a side note, I'm amused by the number of folks (not just here) that are done with the NFL over player antics and/or kneeling, but will still support college football.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »
I might ---might --- find football interesting .... if they'd make the players stop wearing all that protective gear. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
meh, I think any rule changes by the NFL to try and "Make the game better" are too little too late at this point.

As a side note, I'm amused by the number of folks (not just here) that are done with the NFL over player antics and/or kneeling, but will still support college football.
Why?  Seen any college players kneeling during the National Anthem?  The NFL has been dipping their feet in the pond of activism for a while but it was mostly minor stuff.  The kneeling issue and the NFL's refusal to do anything about it sort of ticks people off.  The further it goes, the more people will find other things to do with their time and money. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
I might ---might --- find football interesting .... if they'd make the players stop wearing all that protective gear. >:D

That's called Aussie Rules Football.

Hard to find a channel that carries games, but when you do, it's awesome!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
So one question about football rules and 13 posts virtue signaling about not watching football?
 :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
The question asked in the thread title was "Any football fans here?"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
The question asked in the thread title was "Any football fans here?"

🙄 then open the *expletive deleted*ing thread back up.  Op presented a scenario and got nothing but bullshit answers.  *expletive deleted*ed if I care if don’t agree then open it.
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ on a flaming pogo stick.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »
I guess some people here have too much steam spirit.

By the tone and tenor of the responses, I guess the answer to the actual OP question is:  "Not that many any more."

Andy Griffith thereon:

https://youtu.be/oNxLxTZHKM8 (5:40)

I'm not signing this one so nobody can get steamed at me

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 02:14:29 AM »
I thought thread drift was par for the course? Not to mention that some actually did address the question about punting...

Also, I am not a football fan. Rugby seems more interesting, but I don't watch that either.

=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
What little (and I DO mean little) interest I had in watching football faded several decades ago when it became obvious that the officials weren't just influencing the outcome, but were obviously picking the winners.

But maybe if the players - at least the linemen - began wearing pickelhaube, I might take a look.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
The commercialization and monetizing of “games” pretty much drove me away. That and the influence sports lunkheads have outside their specialty, playing a game.

I then became anti team sports and took up a lot of physical activities that were more individualistic.

In hindsight I threw out the baby with the bath water.

I now believe  team sports are something all boys and young men should participate in for all the life lessons you can learn.

The glorification of sports stars is still something I find to be wrong. It’s a game, not reality.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 08:15:04 AM »
I don't mind punting.  For me it's the penalties.  The pace of the game is getting slower.
JD

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Back to the OP, I do enjoy college football and often attend high school games.  The pregame tailgates, the marching bands, the rivalries.  A sunny fall day on a college campus, charcoal scent in the air, love it.  Yeah, forget pro ball.

As to punting, I say leave it.  There's a strategic decision to be made, the risk of a blocked punt, the thrill of a run back.  Leave it

Oh, and while we talk football...Go Army!  Beat Navy!.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
Back to the OP, I do enjoy college football and often attend high school games.  The pregame tailgates, the marching bands, the rivalries.  A sunny fall day on a college campus, charcoal scent in the air, love it.  Yeah, forget pro ball.

As to punting, I say leave it.  There's a strategic decision to be made, the risk of a blocked punt, the thrill of a run back.  Leave it

Oh, and while we talk football...Go Army!  Beat Navy!.

Why I try to go to at least 2 college games a year, definitely a lot of fun just being there. I don't watch NFL because of time, I already wasted 4-5 hours on Saturday watching college ball, need to catch up on Sunday.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536