Author Topic: Any football fans here?  (Read 4540 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Any football fans here?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
I don't mind punting.  For me it's the penalties.  The pace of the game is getting slower.

Was there a time with no punting?

I cannot imagine football without punting.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
I do agree with there being too many penalties. False start should only be called if the player moves the position of one of his feet or his hand if in a three point stance. Otherwise let him wiggle around as much as he likes.

Pass interference should only be called for major contact, I think that's what it's supposed to be but I've seen a lot of calls where the defender was just touching the receiver, not dragging his arm down or knocking him to the ground.

Going back to punting I really don't think it adds much to the game. But then I don't like any of the parts of the kicking game. KOs, XPs, FGs, pooch kicks and free kicks could all be eliminated as far as I'm concerned.

Ironically this would take the foot out of football.

To replace KOs I would do a version of this
Schiano proposes that after a touchdown or field goal, the scoring team retains possession, getting the football on its own 30, facing fourth-and-15. The team either can go for it or punt it away. In effect, punts would replace kickoffs.

Only there would be no punt option and you would have the ball at the 50.

There would be no field goals anymore and for extra points you can choose to spot the ball right at the goal line and convert you get one point, put it at the two and get two points, move back to the ten and get three points for a conversion.

To replace free kicks after a safety the team that caused the safety gets the ball at their own 30.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
🙄 then open the *expletive deleted*ing thread back up.  Op presented a scenario and got nothing but bullshit answers.  *expletive deleted*ed if I care if don’t agree then open it.
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ on a flaming pogo stick.

Have you tried any natural supplements to help with your anger issues?  I can put you in touch with a lady who sells that stuff.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
🙄 then open the *expletive deleted*ing thread back up.  Op presented a scenario and got nothing but bullshit answers.  *expletive deleted*ed if I care if don’t agree then open it.
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ on a flaming pogo stick.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »
OK, all of the virtue signaling and screechy moderating going on, I'll answer your question...

I think eliminating the punt would:

1. Speed the game up.

2. Make it higher scoring.

3. Make it a lot worse, overall.

Believe it or not, punting is a significant part of the overall game strategy, and I think a really underappreciated one.

A really good punter can control placement of the ball, drop it where he wants it, make it hang, or turn it into almost a forward pass with a line drive spiral.

Other than increasing scoring, I really don't how eliminating the punt would make the game better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
To replace KOs I would do a version of this

Schiano proposes that after a touchdown or field goal, the scoring team retains possession, getting the football on its own 30, facing fourth-and-15. The team either can go for it or punt it away. In effect, punts would replace kickoffs.

Only there would be no punt option and you would have the ball at the 50.

While we're at it, let's change basketball so that when a team scores a basket or free throw, they get the ball again at mid-court, instead of turning it over to the other team.

That's really what you're proposing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
OK, all of the virtue signaling and screechy moderating going on, I'll answer your question...

I think eliminating the punt would:

1. Speed the game up.

2. Make it higher scoring.

3. Make it a lot worse, overall.

Believe it or not, punting is a significant part of the overall game strategy, and I think a really underappreciated one.

A really good punter can control placement of the ball, drop it where he wants it, make it hang, or turn it into almost a forward pass with a line drive spiral.

Other than increasing scoring, I really don't how eliminating the punt would make the game better.

I don't see how eliminating the punt would speed up the game. A punt play doesn't take significantly more time than a long-ish run or a long-ish pass play. What's the fascination with speeding up the game? Football games are regulated by a clock. It's not like baseball, which has no clock and a game can theoretically last for several days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »
You think football is regulated only by the clock?

If that were true, a 1 hour game wouldn't last 3.5 to 4 hours, or even longer in some cases.

And it would speed up the game. Every time there's a punt there's a significant amount of shifting of the teams on the field, both in getting special teams players in on both sides and in getting both teams positioned.

Then you need to get the special teams players out again, reset the line of scrimmage and all of the associated officials.

If you maintained the teams at the line of scrimmage with a turnover at point of possession after 4 downs, you'd eliminate anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute on each play, and that's not counting the inevitable TV timeouts that are taken on either side of the punt/change of possession.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »
If that were true, a 1 hour game wouldn't last 3.5 to 4 hours, or even longer in some cases.

If you really want to speed up the game, run the clock like they do in European soccer games.  The clock runs for 90 minutes and hardly ever stops.  No commercial breaks.  Only a few timeouts.  Substitutions happen on the clock.  Incomplete pass?  Clock keeps running.  Player runs out of bounds?  Clock keeps running.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »
If you really want to speed up the game, run the clock like they do in European soccer games.  The clock runs for 90 minutes and hardly ever stops.  No commercial breaks.  Only a few timeouts.  Substitutions happen on the clock.  Incomplete pass?  Clock keeps running.  Player runs out of bounds?  Clock keeps running.

Football is not played like Football, wouldn't work.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
I read an article about a guy who wrote up a version of football that used innings instead of a game clock. I had the article saved but that drive crashed so I don't have the details.

I do remember that each change of possession would advance the game a half-inning.

So if you scored and then kicked on-side and recovered that is still one possession but if the other team recovers then it is their half of the inning.

However if the offense (team A) turns the ball over and in the ensuing return the defense (team B) fumbles the ball back to team A then that counts as three possessions used: Team A's ended then Team B's started and ended and lastly Team A starts a new possession.

Of course theoretically this means that a game could end in about a minute if there's enough turnovers and someone has scored.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Football is not played like Football, wouldn't work.

Like football, football is governed by rules.  If you want to make football more like football, just change the football rules.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
I've never been much of a football fan.  I don't know all the subtleties of the game.  I'll occasionally watch the Superbowl, or watch the Aggies if they are on TV. 
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 10:28:39 PM »
Not sure why I don't like football. I used to have college season tickets and like the gameday atmosphere, but for watching, I prefer baseball. The strategy there is a lot more subtle and a lot more involved. I started trying to follow cricket, mainly because I find the rules confusing as hell. And the betting, cheating, and match fixing makes it all the more entertaining.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
WRT the OP,  no,  I don't think kickoffs should go away.

That said,  saw a guy wearing a shirt at the Renn Faire this weekend that said "make football violent again".  Mostly agreed.  thousands of yards of penalties for the new helmet rule during preseason seems harsh.  And all that said to say I don't really get into the NFL.  I'll read the scores on monday, but that's about it.  My local team sucks, and even if they were awesome, I'm just no that into it (CLE Browns)
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
Hey, the Browns broke their losing streak on Sunday!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »
Hey, the Browns broke their losing streak on Sunday!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
WRT the OP,  no,  I don't think kickoffs should go away.

That said,  saw a guy wearing a shirt at the Renn Faire this weekend that said "make football violent again".  Mostly agreed.  thousands of yards of penalties for the new helmet rule during preseason seems harsh.  And all that said to say I don't really get into the NFL.  I'll read the scores on monday, but that's about it.  My local team sucks, and even if they were awesome, I'm just no that into it (CLE Browns)
The way I have seen the new targeting rule used this year seems more about eliminating spearing with the crown of the helmet and encouraging traditional tackling techniques.  My only issue with it in the past was it seemed to be applied inconsistently.  I hope that improves.  Not all of the problem is with the referees.  Some of it is just bad coaching. 

Field Goals, punts, and kickoffs are an integral part of football along with special teams in general.  Eliminating it would completely change things and take away a great deal of the unpredictability of the game which is part of what makes it fun to watch. 

What I don't understand is:
1.  Why do people want to radically change a game such that it is a completely different game?  I guess these discussions are a good reason to bring it up. 
2.  Why do people who don't follow/watch football at all think anyone cares about their suggestions?   =D 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
One way to shorten football games is to tell the TV people they can't have their own time outs for commercials.  But no one wants to kill the golden goose.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Laugh it up,  the Browns are currently undefeated!!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/#442965606c64
College Football's Most Valuable Teams

I saw this headline today and thought it was appropriate.  Texas A&M Aggies are No. 1. 
Across the three years prior to last season, Texas A&M averaged annual revenues of $148 million, the most of any program in the nation.

When you hear about coaching salaries and all the money spent, remember that the top college football programs make a great deal of revenue. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
Also, when you see a team like Alabama play a very small school and win by 50 points, the small school is typically getting paid good chunk of money to do that (often a big chunk of their annual revenue).  It is even sweeter when the small school wins and still gets paid.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
But maybe doesn't get invited back.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
NCAA Division 1 powerhouses taking on smaller, less capable opponents is sort of the big teams' "fall training warm up." It's supposed to be a pretty easy game, they can solidify the plays and give everyone some playing time as a warm up.

Occasionally, though, things won't go as planned...

Penn State's first game of the season was against Appalachian State. AS has a decent team, but they're not a contender. They did upset Michigan in the first game of the season in 2007, a game which has been called one of the greatest upsets in NCAA history... Michigan was ranked number 5 before the game... and became the first team ever to fall completely out of the top 25 because of a single game loss.

It looked as if PSU was going to roll over AS, but AS' offense went white hot in the second half, and they had the lead with less than a minute to go. It took a touchdown by Penn State on the last drive, and a TD and interception in overtime, for PSU to eek out the win.

PSU dropped from 10 to 13 in the national standings because of that game.

The BEST thing about that game, though, was the reaction of the Penn State fans. As the Appalachian State team left the field, 100,000 fans gave them a standing ovation.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:04:27 PM by Mike Irwin »