Author Topic: Any football fans here?  (Read 4583 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Any football fans here?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
NCAA Division 1 powerhouses taking on smaller, less capable opponents is sort of the big teams' "fall training warmup." It's supposed to be a pretty easy game, they can solidify the plays and give everyone some

Occasionally, though, things won't go as planned...

Penn State's first game of the season was against Appalachian State. AS has a decent team, but they're not a contender. They did upset Michigan in the first game of the season in 2007, a game which has been called one of the greatest upsets in NCAA history... Michigan was ranked number 5 before the game... and became the first time ever to fall completely out of the top 25 because of a single game loss.

It looked as if PSU was going to roll over AS, but AS' offense went white hot in the second half, and they had the lead with less than a minute to go. It took a touchdown by Penn State on the last drive, and a TD and interception in overtime, for PSU to eek out the win.

PSU dropped from 10 to 13 in the national standings because of that game.

The BEST thing about that game, though, was the reaction of the Penn State fans. As the Appalachian State team left the field, 100,000 fans gave them a standing ovation.
That is pretty cool.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
So in the NFL now, on kick-offs, the kicking team has to wait for the ball to be kicked before they start moving.

They used to be able to line up behind the line and get a running start. Now they stand at the line and wait for the kick.

That is really going to reduce the odds of recovering an onside kick. Which, despite my lack of love for the kicking game in general, I've always found to be an exciting play.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just move them back further or increase the free ball distance from 10 yards to 15 yards?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »
So instead of eliminating punting how about changing the rules so that the ball becomes live after it passes the line-of-scrimmage?

That would open up a while new area for punt team trickery. And that would increase the entertainment value of punting.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
So instead of eliminating punting how about changing the rules so that the ball becomes live after it passes the line-of-scrimmage?

That would open up a while new area for punt team trickery. And that would increase the entertainment value of punting.

I believe that is called Rugby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536