Author Topic: Only the police should be allowed to have guns  (Read 6193 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Only the police should be allowed to have guns
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
Because police aren't ordinary people, and police would never make a mistake and shoot the wrong pers...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/Dallas-Officer-Fatally-Shoots-Man-492675981.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

Oh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Only the police should be allowed to have guns
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
That story is just insane.

Your key doesn't work, and someone opens the door to "your" apartment... and you pull out a gun and shoot them? Rather than think- OH, maybe I'm in the wrong place?

It sounds like this woman most definitely ought not to have had a badge. Got locked onto one idea and stuck with it until someone died.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
It sounds like this woman most definitely ought not to have had a badge.

... was drunk or on drugs or just too stupid to be roaming free.

Anyway, she is getting charged by the DA.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:38 AM »
That story is just insane.

Your key doesn't work, and someone opens the door to "your" apartment... and you pull out a gun and shoot them? Rather than think- OH, maybe I'm in the wrong place?

It sounds like this woman most definitely ought not to have had a badge. Got locked onto one idea and stuck with it until someone died.

People like you will never understand. These rogue locksmiths aren't just going to go away. I guess you people won't change your tune until they take over YOUR house, and change YOUR locks. You'll understand then.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
[SPECULATION]

I wonder if, after hearing someone fussing with his door, he answered it with a gun in hand.  I know I sure as hell would.

Doesn't explain a lot, but it might explain something.

[SPECULATION OFF]

On the locks, I bet I could go around our 50 or so apartments and find my door key (mechanical) would open two or three other doors.

And I would be surprised if I weren't greeted by a couple uh them gun-totin' right-wing gun nut shoot-to-kill bloodthirsty residents after fussin' with their doorknobs.  And this is only Colorado, not Texas.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
[SPECULATION]

I wonder if, after hearing someone fussing with his door, he answered it with a gun in hand.  I know I sure as hell would.

[SPECULATION OFF]

Yeah, if I hear someone trying to open my door I'm NOT going to throw it open and ask them what they're doing. I'm going to arm myself, stand to the side of the door, and ask very loudly who they are and what they want.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
[SPECULATION]

Doesn't explain a lot, but it might explain something.

[SPECULATION OFF]

On the locks, I bet I could go around our 50 or so apartments and find my door key (mechanical) would open two or three other doors.

And I would be surprised if I weren't greeted by a couple uh them gun-totin' right-wing gun nut shoot-to-kill bloodthirsty residents after fussin' with their doorknobs.  And this is only Colorado, not Texas.

Terry

If one article I read was correct the locks are electronic with swipe cards or fobs. Like at Hotels or a lot of businesses. So she would have kept getting the red no access light. How the door a actually got opened I haven’t read yet. It could have been him opening it. Still she should have had a big clue she was at the wrong door.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »
I don't suppose someone was smart enough to draw a toxicology blood sample on the officer at the time of the incident. It would be interesting to see if there were any fun chemicals in her bloodstream at the time of the shoot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
^ Apparently she volunteered to have it done, possibly back in her employment agreement.  I note she just got off a 14 hour shift serving warrants or subpoenas or something... at peoples' doors, I assume.

Lotsa Qs in this one, more than  usual.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:38:12 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
Were these furnished apartments?  Do those often end up being all alike?  How long had she been in this apartment?

Either way, she was in a place she had no right to be and killed someone.  There is a lot of information here we don't have.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
Somewhere I read that this was not her first shooting. can't find it now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
I know I've been rather annoyed at all the reports giving the blue version of events as gospel; not a single allegedly to be heard.   

Some animals are move equal than others. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
Apparently they are thinking about charging her with manslaughter.
So you can enter someone else's home, kill them, and get charged on the level of an accidental death.
It gets hard to keep any faith in police with things like this- it seems every few weeks brings another incident.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
When I worked in a door factory, I learned that they only used 5 or 6 unique keysets, with master keys that open them all. Some of the orders were for 40-50 doors at a time for resorts, military housing, or other housing projects. This sort of shook my confidence in the actual level of security a doorlock provides.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
I know I've been rather annoyed at all the reports giving the blue version of events as gospel; not a single allegedly to be heard.   

Some animals are move equal than others. 
It seems the stories are all one way or all the other way.  Depends on whose version of events they are getting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
^,^ That's about what I figured, brimic

Master keys for an "infinite" number of tumbler setups would seem to be pretty awkward.

About two  years ago the managers here installed deadbolts on all the downstairs apartments.  I don't know if there was an incident which precipitated this or not.  I already had a deadbolt on my second floor door, installed even before I rented the place.

In any case, I figure the probability of one doorknob key fitting another one would be one in five, or 0.20.  I guess it would be similar for the deadbolts.

Anyhow, figuring that way, per brimic, I guess the chances of a person's two keys (knob and deadbolt) being able to open any other given door would be 0.20 X 0.20 = 0.04, which is a lot better odds, or 1 in 25.

If my reckoning is correct for mechanical keys.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:32:33 PM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »
The video showed that the complex has electronic keys, so the victim probably opened the door to see who was trying to get in.  I bet he thought that it was someone either lost or drunk, and he was simply going to direct them to their apartment.

And yes, the officer should be charged.  It's not murder (no premeditation), but definitely aggravated manslaughter.  If Texas has something like that.  She should not walk free not matter what. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
She should be charged and, if found guilty, spend a few years behind bars.  If anyone not wearing blue had done something similar they'd have been in jail within the first hour - not days later.

What's pissing me off even more than this bad shoot are the asshats trying to make it into a white vs black thing.  Their relative skin color doesn't make it any worse than if it'd been purple vs plaid.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
I read earlier today on Fox that she has been charged with manslaughter.
According to the story, her apartment is one floor above the shooting victim's.  The exteriors are nearly identical.  Supposedly, when she inserted her key, the door was already slightly ajar and she opened it.  The apartment was completely dark, and she heard noises making her think she was encountering a burglar in her apartment. She claims the victim ignored her verbal commands, then she shot him.
More details in the article.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
She claims the victim ignored her verbal commands

So innocent homeowner finds finds someone essentially (intentional or not) executing a home invasion and ignores the verbal commands of the unknown intruder.
The cop is lucky she wasn't the one killed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »

Master keys for an "infinite" number of tumbler setups would seem to be pretty awkward.

Not really. The pins are split. The regular keys move the pin all the way, and those can be as many combinations as you want. The splits are set up to allow a single master key to operate any lock. In any sort of security system, there are usually at least two levels of master key.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »
According to the story, her apartment is one floor above the shooting victim's.  The exteriors are nearly identical.  Supposedly, when she inserted her key, the door was already slightly ajar and she opened it.  The apartment was completely dark, and she heard noises making her think she was encountering a burglar in her apartment. She claims the victim ignored her verbal commands, then she shot him.

There's that "compliance" mentality again. She probably even used "command voice" when issuing her verbal commands. The problem is, he was where he belonged, she was where she DIDN'T belong, and he had no idea she was a cop -- so why should he obey her commands?

Quote from: RoadKing Larry
The cop is lucky she wasn't the one killed.

Too true.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
"The cop is lucky she wasn't the one killed."

Too true.

If he'd shot her, whether he killer her or not, they would have Cory Meye'd him.  He was screwed either way.  :mad:
"It's good, though..."

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
Funny how they waited 3 days to arrest her.  If the victim had shot her instead he would have been arrested on the spot I'll bet.  I agree this is not a race issue.  It's the entitled mentality of law enforcement.  If they would start treating their fellow officers as they would any other citizen when it appears a crime was committed and they'd start getting back some of the respect and trust they claim to want so much. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
I find I agree with the recent comments.  On the bolded part, I think you would be surprised how many break-ins happen with an unlocked door.  This an aspect of self defense people forget about.  You first line of defense at home is to lock the door and make sure it is locked.