Author Topic: Only the police should be allowed to have guns  (Read 6182 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Only the police should be allowed to have guns
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »

I think what's more likely is that she had realized by then the interior of the apartment didn't match her own.

Well, yeah. Her's didn't have dead guy in it.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »

It's entirely possible for a person to have trouble recalling their own address, especially after having shot someone. I think what's more likely is that she had realized by then the interior of the apartment didn't match her own.

Obviously, an astute police officer would immediately conclude that some sneaky burglar had stolen all her furniture and replaced it with cheap, discount house substitutes to obscure the fact he had stripped the apartment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »
...some sneaky burglar had stolen all her furniture and replaced it with cheap, discount house substitutes to obscure the fact he had stripped the apartment.

Don't you hate it when that happens?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »
Update: [Now former] Officer Guyger has been terminated by the Dallas PD.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/dallas-officer-amber-guyger-terminated-over-botham-jean-killing/

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Amber Guyger indicted for murder.

Which means I was wrong about what would happen. Maybe justice will prevail.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
To be honest, I don't think murder is the appropriate charge.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
To be honest, I don't think murder is the appropriate charge.

Depends.  Many states lump lesser charges in as subsections of the more serious charges, i.e. Manslaughter as a subsection of the Murder statute.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
Depends.  Many states lump lesser charges in as subsections of the more serious charges, i.e. Manslaughter as a subsection of the Murder statute.

She was originally arrested on a charge of manslaughter. The article said the grand jury skipped right over that and went straight to murder. Obviously, I wasn't in the grand jury room but I have a hard time seeing how the incident could possibly qualify as a murder.

Donning my triple-ply tinfoil hat, suppose the D.A. doesn't really really want to convict a former cop. I think a manslaughter charge would be virtually a slam dunk for conviction. Murder? Dunno what Texas law says, but I think the prosecution has a high hurdle to leap over to get a murder conviction. Is it possible that's intentional?

Again, I don't know what Texas law is. If they didn't charge her with manslaughter, I don't know if the judge can/will instruct a jury that they can find her guilty of manslaughter if they don't agree to convict for murder.

Just speculatin' ...

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Here's the Texas statute...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.19.htm

Looks like Murder might fit, as it prohibits knowingly causing the death of another.   Under Texas law, the definition of "knowingly" is:

"A person acts knowingly, or with knowledge, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to circumstances surrounding his conduct when he is aware of the nature of his conduct or that the circumstances exist.  A person acts knowingly, or with knowledge, with respect to a result of his conduct when he is aware that his conduct is reasonably certain to cause the result."  Title 2, Section 6.03.

I don't recall any specific details about the shooting, number of shots fired, where the victim was hit, etc., but it really isn't too much of a stretch to see an indictment for this.  Leaves room for a plea bargain, if you want to think conspiracy at all...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
IIRC there was some talk in the original news stories that she was banging on the door and yelling, and some witnesses that described events that didn't match her story.

If they have testimony contradicting her retelling of the events it murder might become more appropriate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »
IIRC there was some talk in the original news stories that she was banging on the door and yelling, and some witnesses that described events that didn't match her story.

If they have testimony contradicting her retelling of the events it murder might become more appropriate.

There have been at least three versions:

1. The door was open, she walked in and saw him across the room

2. The door was open, he was standing at the door when she opened it

3. The door was locked, he heard her trying to open it, and he opened the door to see who was outside