Author Topic: The Mafia was grown in lemon orchards.  (Read 837 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The Mafia was grown in lemon orchards.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
Nature abhors a vacuum
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »
Did you know that the first organized crime ring in this country was called the Society of the Banana?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/16/the-postal-inspector-who-took-down-americas-first-organized-crime-ring-219597

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
There's a picture of guns taken from the Bananas and in the center there's a pistol I don't recognize. It can't be a 1911 because the gang was busted in 1909.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:27:37 PM by Warren »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:14:47 PM »
Did you know that the first organized crime ring in this country was called the Society of the Banana?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/16/the-postal-inspector-who-took-down-americas-first-organized-crime-ring-219597

Wow. They really found a way to get in a Trump bash in that article.

On the plus side. It was a pretty interesting read.
Couldn't help but laugh at this,
The member who tries to do harm to another branch of the society, or to the family of other companions, if this harm shall have been grave, will be undressed and marked on his body with the mark of infamy and called with word of contempt, “Swindler,”...
The horror! Kind of curious about what this "mark of infamy" is referring too. I wonder if it's just a branding in a certain shape so other members will recognize it when they see it.

Also that threatening letter! lol It's like reading an old radio play. It mentions lots of stabbing, but it also mentions the guy having a "carbine". Is this some type of knife or would that actually be a reference to a rifle as we know it?
And a cool picture of an old Protector Palm Pistol amongst other confiscated weapons.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:49:48 AM »
The Carbine could have been just about anything.  A "Carbine" was simply a shorter version of whatever the current military issued rifle was.  They were generally carried by Cavalry troops, as the longer (Infantry) guns were simply too unwieldy to use from horseback.

Or it could have been any short rifle (like any lever action gun or the like).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
There's a picture of guns taken from the Bananas and in the center there's a pistol I don't recognize. It can't be a 1911 because the gang was busted in 1909.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1903_Pocket_Hammerless
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Ok, now I see it.