Author Topic: Interesting speedloader.  (Read 2240 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Interesting speedloader.
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/7NaZpeFEfN8

I don't think it's in production though.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Interesting speedloader.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
I don't see any particular advantage over the HKS style of speedloader, and I see one disadvantage:  added "volume" because of the hand-grenade type of release.

He even had difficulty aligning the cartridges in one instance, just like in the HKS style of speedloader:

It also looks like because of the complexity, they'd be pretty expensive, but when you're talking safety devices, hang the expense.

I've tried various speedloaders including the Bianchi straight-strip type, and given the various +es and -es, the only real complaint I have for the HKS ones is that the release is counter-intuitive in that you turn the knob clockwise to release the bangy bits.  That somehow, for me, violates the lefty-loosey-righty-tighty rule.  I understand that another maker of the HKS-style reverses that, so a counter-clockwise rotation releases the cartridges.

I was tempted to take my HKS loaders apart and relocate that little pin so they'd release with a CCW rotation, but I got so well-trained in the CW rotation that I decided not to change things.  I have HKS loaders for every revolver I own.

However, truly it has been said that the fastest reload is to have another loaded gun ready-to-hand.

Terry

Pic credit in properties
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:22:23 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 05:04:23 PM »
It seems to me that just dropping it in and pulling is a natural motion that should be easy to master.  This might be able to sit in a reloading pouch flat also which would make it easier to carry a reload. 

Apparently, this is a prototype so I figure some adjustments would be made to make it smoother to use.  We will see what comes of it.  It is nice to see new ideas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
^  "This might be able to sit in a reloading pouch flat also which would make it easier to carry a reload. "

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that.

I wonder about it snapping shut on you as you withdraw it from either the gun or your pouch.  

Different "manual of arms," I guess.  Training overcomes a lot of difficulties.   I, too await further information and developments.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
The question would be how easily the rounds fall out if you straight it out.  We will see what a final product looks like assuming it makes it that far.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »
From the video, it does sit flat in the pouch and then curls up when he pulls it out of the pouch.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »
I'm inclined to hate it because of the music.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
One possible advantage seems to be that it looks like it is not brand/model specific.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
Why was the cylinder cut so short on his revolver?  The bullets and part of the case stuck out the front.  Weird.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
The revolver was just a cheap plastic mock-up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
I don't see any particular advantage over the HKS style of speedloader, and I see one disadvantage:  added "volume" because of the hand-grenade type of release.

He even had difficulty aligning the cartridges in one instance, just like in the HKS style of speedloader:

It also looks like because of the complexity, they'd be pretty expensive, but when you're talking safety devices, hang the expense.

I've tried various speedloaders including the Bianchi straight-strip type, and given the various +es and -es, the only real complaint I have for the HKS ones is that the release is counter-intuitive in that you turn the knob clockwise to release the bangy bits.  That somehow, for me, violates the lefty-loosey-righty-tighty rule.  I understand that another maker of the HKS-style reverses that, so a counter-clockwise rotation releases the cartridges.

I was tempted to take my HKS loaders apart and relocate that little pin so they'd release with a CCW rotation, but I got so well-trained in the CW rotation that I decided not to change things.  I have HKS loaders for every revolver I own.

However, truly it has been said that the fastest reload is to have another loaded gun ready-to-hand.

Terry

Pic credit in properties

I prefer the Safariland Comp II speedloaders- much easier to use, IMHO, though I don't think they make them for the 7-shot 686...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
I prefer the Safariland Comp II speedloaders- much easier to use, IMHO, though I don't think they make them for the 7-shot 686...

Those are pushbutton, right?  Frankly, I'd prefer pushbuttons, but as I touched on, I don't want to change my "manual of arms."

One improvement "all" (I presume "all") of them could make would be to hold the cartridges in a rigid alignment so you wouldn't have to flop them around to get them in.  That problem may just be endemic to HKS, I don't remember.  It's been so long since I quit experimenting and settled on HKS, cleaving only unto them, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, lefty-tighty-righty-loosie notwithstanding.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:09:01 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
https://youtu.be/7NaZpeFEfN8

I don't think it's in production though.

too many parts

Safariland

need to get a couple more.

I picked up a 5 Star.   Jewel-like, works just like a HKS.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »
Those are pushbutton, right?  Frankly, I'd prefer pushbuttons, but as I touched on, I don't want to change my "manual of arms."

One improvement "all" (I presume "all") of them could make would be to hold the cartridges in a rigid alignment so you wouldn't have to flop them around to get them in.  That problem may just be endemic to HKS, I don't remember.  It's been so long since I quit experimenting and settled on HKS, cleaving only unto them, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, lefty-tighty-righty-loosie notwithstanding.

Terry, 230RN

You just grip the body of the speedloader and press the cartridges into the cylinder and it releases them automatically.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
Those are pushbutton, right?
You just grip the body of the speedloader and press the cartridges into the cylinder and it releases them automatically.

Yep.  "The button" is actually buried in the middle of the cartridges, and is pushed by the cylinder axis.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
Aha!  I didn't catch on to that from previous descriptions.  So you just push the speedloader onto the cylinder to drop the loads in.  Like.  Might try.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
Aha!  I didn't catch on to that from previous descriptions.  So you just push the speedloader onto the cylinder to drop the loads in.  Like.  Might try.

Yes.  But you have to push pretty hard.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
https://cktactical.com/

https://www.gogeardirect.com/brands/ck-tactical.html

Looks like the same thing as the OP.  They are for sale.  $10 for a 2 pack.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
I've seen the metal version of that. Stores flat in a sheath. Curls up when extracted from the sheath for use. Works the exact same way.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
.....And we've come full circle.  A full revolution, one might say.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
I know I do not like hks, too many accidental round dumps. Moonclips, more moonclips.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 08:38:33 PM »
Okay, now that I glanced back at the original video and saw this video on the site I mentioned, it doesn't appear to be the same thing, but it is very close.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=L4QY9tJrm_A
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:59:26 PM by MechAg94 »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
DOH! My head no worke so hot these days...
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
Yeah, this different one doesn't seem to mention storing flat at all which is part of the advantage I was thinking about.  It still appears to be less bulky than most speed loaders (and cheap), but still not as good as moon clips.