Author Topic: Why isn't John Kerry being tried for treason?  (Read 1128 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why isn't John Kerry being tried for treason?
« on: September 12, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
Well, maybe not treason, since I guess he's not plotting to overthrow the government. But he's certainly plotting to undermine it.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/kerry-meeting-iran-salvage-nuke-deal-rogue-diplomacy/

I'm sure it's against some law or other for private citizens to conduct "diplomacy" with foriegn governments with the aim of sabotaging what the properly elected government is trying to accomplish.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Why isn't John Kerry being tried for treason?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
He does it because he has a higher moral purpose than the US Government, and the fact he won't be prosecuted.  [barf]

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
Well, maybe not treason, since I guess he's not plotting to overthrow the government. But he's certainly plotting to undermine it.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/kerry-meeting-iran-salvage-nuke-deal-rogue-diplomacy/

I'm sure it's against some law or other for private citizens to conduct "diplomacy" with foriegn governments with the aim of sabotaging what the properly elected government is trying to accomplish.

Logan Act.  Not that it's ever been used.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
He does it because he has a higher moral purpose than the US Government, and the fact that he won't be prosecuted.  [barf]

bob

Bingo.

Passionate self-righteousness.
Do you know who I am?

Do you know who I am?

Do you know who I am?

And besides, he's got the Heinz $million$ behind him for legal services. and public relations work.

However, I wonder if slinging well-deserved arrows at him right now is really worth it.  Maybe in 2020.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/1025/Who-are-the-10-richest-members-of-Congress/Sen.-John-Kerry-D-Mass

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:33:42 PM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
Why won't he be prosecuted?  It's simple.  He won't be prosecuted because he is a leftist Democrat who is, or was, in a high position in government.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
Doncha just love it when all those hyperlefty millionaires won't redistribute some of their money to you?  Well, to me, anyway.

I'm waiting for someone to ding our (Colorado) current Democratic millionaire gubernatorial candidate with that idea.

Churchmouselike Terry, 230RN

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »
Amy Schumer
Logan Act.  Not that it's ever been used.

Charges under the Logan Act were brought at least twice,  but neither resulted in a conviction.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »
Revoke his security clearance and passport.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »
Revoke his security clearance and passport.

While he's out of the country.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »
Logan Act.  Not that it's ever been used.

It was tried, twice.  Failed twice.   Bad law....or bad cases?   I don't know.

It really doesn't apply to Kerry, IMHO.  Sure, Kerry is an @ss,  and what he did was extra sleezy on a bun with French fries,  but not really Logan Act vulnerable.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »

It really doesn't apply to Kerry, IMHO.  Sure, Kerry is an @ss,  and what he did was extra sleezy on a bun with French fries,  but not really Logan Act vulnerable.  

How do you conclude that Kerry's actions don't fall under the Logan Act?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/953

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

As a private citizen, Kerry has been interacting directly with the government of Iran, without the knowledge or consent of the current government of the United States, for the express purpose of influencing their actions in response to our government's efforts to role bacl the treaty that Kerry and Obama negotiated. I'd say the Logan Act fits to a 'T.'

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
Kerry would claim that he did not deal with the government of Iran, only with a retired Iranian diplomat. 

I'd charge his ass anyway and make him spend a few hundred thousand dollars defending himself and at the same time draw it out for a couple of years.  Revoke his passport and security clearance.  I just wish the R's had the same quantity and quality of balls the Ds have.  They, the R's, would rather eat their own unfortunately.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Kerry would claim that he did not deal with the government of Iran, only with a retired Iranian diplomat. 

Probably ...

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

I'd say it fits. A retired diplomat could certainly be considered an agent, and by Kerry's own admission the reason for his contacts has been to influence the government of Iran.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
How do you conclude that Kerry's actions don't fall under the Logan Act?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/953

As a private citizen, Kerry has been interacting directly with the government of Iran, without the knowledge or consent of the current government of the United States, for the express purpose of influencing their actions in response to our government's efforts to role bacl the treaty that Kerry and Obama negotiated. I'd say the Logan Act fits to a 'T.'

It's said he DID tell the government what  he was doing.....

....Look,  I'd love to clobber that narcissistic  jackwagon with the Logan Act.  It's been tried twice in history and failed twice. 
He's also not the first dingbat to tell another country to "wait out a current president."   

Wanna prosecute the twit?  Ok.   Find a Hamilton Burger type who'll charge him. 
It ain't gonna happen.
 :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:59 PM »
It's said he DID tell the government what  he was doing.....

Didn't sound like it from the article I linked. Got a source?

Former Secretary of State John Kerry disclosed that he has been conducting rogue diplomacy with top Iranian officials to salvage the landmark nuclear deal and push the Islamic Republic to negotiate its contested missile program, according to recent remarks.

Kerry, in an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt to promote his new book, said that he has met with Iranian Former Minister Javad Zarif—the former secretary's onetime negotiating partner—three or four times in recent months behind the Trump administration's back.

"I think I've seen him three or four times," Kerry said, adding that he has been conducting sensitive diplomacy without the current administration's authorization. Kerry said he has criticized the current administration in these discussions, chiding it for not pursuing negotiations from Iran, despite the country's fevered rhetoric about the U.S. president.

In any case, I didn't say he would be prosecuted, I said he should be prosecuted.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
Didn't sound like it from the article I linked. Got a source?

In any case, I didn't say he would be prosecuted, I said he should be prosecuted.

I didn't read your source for my  info.   I got my source from Fox News, the cable network,  so I can't give a url.

My comments about him not being  prosecuted had more to do with the history of the law (two attempted prosecutions, both failed, many legal experts saying it is a bad law)  than any personal desire.

I'd love to see John Kerry screwed into a tiny prison  cell..... but I have long since given up any hope of their being any judicial consequences for our lords and masters ---- ESPECIALLY those with a D after their name. :mad: