Author Topic: Scrambled eggs?  (Read 6306 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Scrambled eggs?
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
Has anyone tried doing scrambled eggs in a microwave? I learned from the Internet that this is possible. Tried one batch, and I'm very much on the fence about the results. It was easy, and quick, and doesn't involve a frying pan that has to be washed afterward. The eggs came out sort of, well ... maybe "aerated" is the right word, sort of almost fluffy, occupying more volume than three scrambled eggs would normally occupy. The taste was the same, and the texture was ... meh.

Interesting experiment. I haven't decided whether or not I'll repeat it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Scrambled eggs?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 04:45:29 PM »
I had surprisingly good results with microwave scrambled eggs. Enough so that it's in the travel toolkit, and I even do them at home sometimes instead of in the pan.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=57315.0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
I do it all the time because I have a bowl that's exactly right for making one egg into a sammich-perfect size. Salt, pepper, and a couple dashes of Cholula. Scramble, pour in the greased bowl, nuke for exactly 1 minute. I don't stir so it comes out as a dense egg foam rather than scrambled, but on a biskit with bacon and jam, who cares.

For 2-3 eggs I use a non-stick skillet with a liberal dose of olive oil, butter, or bacon drippings. Heat skillet on medium low. Prep eggs with desired additions, pour in to skillet, and let cook covered for 7-10 minutes or until the eggs have just begun to set on top. Being covered they cook through without the need to flip or stir. Texture is different than true scrambled but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:35:43 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
I have had good results when the government left me in a hotel for a month. Key for me is butter in before cooking and I stop and stir them several times during cooking.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »
I do it all the time because I have a bowl that's exactly right for making one egg into a sammich-perfect size. Salt, pepper, and a couple dashes of Cholula. Scramble, pour in the greased bowl, nuke for exactly 1 minute.

Man,  I came here to post exactly that. Bunch of sammich sized microwave eggs, and a couple of lbs sausage patties of a similar size and you have instant breakfast sandwich, ready to go.

As to the OP,  You can scramble eggs that way,  but why would you want to?  If it's about having to clean a frying pan after, I find a good no-stick pan easier cleanup than whatever I microwaved the eggs in.

YMMV.

In a perfect world,  you cook the sausage/bacon up in a no stick,  drain most of the fat and then toss the eggs in.  Easy clean up and extra flavor.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:24:36 PM »
I have a steamer that will cook an egg in the microwave with just water.  Perfect size for a sammich. Can scramble or make an omelet. Clean up is pretty much wipe down. Use it when in a pinch on Sunday morning.

Usually use a non stick from ikea. Great pan. Thick cladded base.

Wipe down when finished with a sink scrubby then wipe with a Clorox wipe and put away. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »
I used to do it.  A little milk helps fluffiness.  But scrambling them the old fashioned way is not much more work and saves milk.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
But scrambling them the old fashioned way is not much more work and saves milk.

For the lazy, it's often even easier to just do them in the pan. I'm sure people will knock me for not scrambling right, but when I make sausage scrambles in the cast iron, I first dump the cut up sausage in the pan and do that up, then crack three eggs right into the pan and just mix everything up with a cooking spoon and season right there. Then all I have to clean up is the pan, the spoon, a plate, and a fork. Heck, I'd skip using the plate if the pan wasn't so darn hot.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
I've tried scrambling in the nuker before, but I've never cared much for the results. Maybe I'm doing it with too much power and too quickly.

I'm going to give it another try. I'm also no longer using real eggs -- I'm using egg substitute now that I'm actively dieting. I can eat the equivalent of 4 large eggs for slightly more calories than a single large whole egg.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
I've tried scrambling in the nuker before, but I've never cared much for the results. Maybe I'm doing it with too much power and too quickly.

I'm going to give it another try. I'm also no longer using real eggs -- I'm using egg substitute now that I'm actively dieting. I can eat the equivalent of 4 large eggs for slightly more calories than a single large whole egg.

I found that better results come from several shorter nukes with stirring in between, and importantly, that they continue to cook a while after the nuke. Longer than I thought, so better to call them "done" when a little runny and let them sit.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
For the lazy, it's often even easier to just do them in the pan. I'm sure people will knock me for not scrambling right, but when I make sausage scrambles in the cast iron, I first dump the cut up sausage in the pan and do that up, then crack three eggs right into the pan and just mix everything up with a cooking spoon and season right there.

Cook chopped onion/bell pepper and a few diced jalapenos with the sausage. Have warm tortillas, shredded cheddar jack, and salsa ready on the side. Breakfast burritos.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
More power to ya, but I've never met a nuked egg I liked. Course, I'm also a picky scrambled egg snob....

Crack into cold pan- a non stick sauce pot works even better though, mix em up a bit, put on medium heat, stir frequently, season with salt pepper a bit of butter, and a small touch of milk or half and half (or creme fraiche/half and half or milk in a 50/50 mix with sour cream makes a nice faux creme fraiche) when about half done if so inclined. Be nice or I'll go full french and make you do the same procedure in a double boiler instead of direct heat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
For the lazy, it's often even easier to just do them in the pan. I'm sure people will knock me for not scrambling right, but when I make sausage scrambles in the cast iron, I first dump the cut up sausage in the pan and do that up, then crack three eggs right into the pan and just mix everything up with a cooking spoon and season right there. Then all I have to clean up is the pan, the spoon, a plate, and a fork. Heck, I'd skip using the plate if the pan wasn't so darn hot.  :laugh:

^This^
I add cayenne and coarse ground black pepper to the mix.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
Cook chopped onion/bell pepper and a few diced jalapenos with the sausage. Have warm tortillas, shredded cheddar jack, and salsa ready on the side. Breakfast burritos.

Brad

Yeah, when I'm not totally lazy, I throw in some chopped sweet onion, then when I plate the scramble, I'll drizzle some finely shredded cheese on top. By the time I get the jam on my biscuit, the cheese has melted in and I toss on  half gallon of cholula and enjoy.  :laugh:

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
Aint nuthin natural about nucular eggs.
About all we use the microwave for is storing our loaf of gluten and occaisionally heating beef fat or bacon fat to pour over the dogs food.
Eggs are pretty dang easy to do in a skillet. Usually a seasoned cast iron one of several different sizes. And you always always always sautee some combination of onion or mushroom or spinach or peppers first anyway. Clean up is easy. And you avoid whatever nucular DNA-modifying toxification that takes place in that thing!
The microwave "oven" exists only as a bread box thingy to fill the space in the cabinets over the stove. But we do use the vent fan part and the light.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 10:33:19 PM »
My step dad gave me a microwave egg cooker thing that works rather well, but I don't scramble them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 06:22:28 AM »
"And you avoid whatever nucular DNA-modifying toxification that takes place in that thing!"

[tinfoil] :facepalm:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
Wife did an experiment this weekend...
She took a cupcake tin, put a piece of canadian bacon in the bottom of each, and an egg on top of each and baked it.
She then dumped them into a covered bowl in the fridge.
This morning, I just had to put an english muffin in the toaster, an egg/ham thing in the microwave for 15 seconds, then combine them for my breakfast sandwich (x2).

1st day (this morning) was pretty good.
I'll report back at the end of the week on how the stuff holds up in the fridge.

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
Wife did an experiment this weekend...
She took a cupcake tin, put a piece of canadian bacon in the bottom of each, and an egg on top of each and baked it.
She then dumped them into a covered bowl in the fridge.
This morning, I just had to put an english muffin in the toaster, an egg/ham thing in the microwave for 15 seconds, then combine them for my breakfast sandwich (x2).

1st day (this morning) was pretty good.
I'll report back at the end of the week on how the stuff holds up in the fridge.

SWMBO does this all the time. Way easy and infinitely flexible. Ham, sausage, bacon... whatever. Put the meat, veg, etc. in the bottom then mix shredded cheese of choice into the eggs and pour over the other ingredients at approximately one egg per cup.

FYI, she swears by parchment paper cupcake liners. Cheapo liners essentially welded themselves solid to the egg and you ended up leaving a fair portion of the mass on the liner.
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
FYI, she swears by parchment paper cupcake liners. Cheapo liners essentially welded themselves solid to the egg and you ended up leaving a fair portion of the mass on the liner.
I'll pass that on to her.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I use a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan when I poach eggs. Makes it a LOT easier to get the egg out of the hot water without the yolk rupturing.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
Nuclear scrambled eggs were my go-to breakfast in High School.  :old:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.