Author Topic: Reparations now!  (Read 5136 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Reparations now!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2024, 11:13:13 AM »
. . .
At what point will some start claiming that reparations from whitey was just a cynical scheme to kill off POCs?
Oh, the claims have already been written, they're just waiting for the right time to make them public.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2024, 12:43:45 PM »
Levar Burton just found out that he has a confederate soldier for an ancestor.

Scott Adams: "How much does he owe himself in reparations?"

:rofl:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/01/21/scott-adams-levar-burton-n2391997

Someone else who owes themselves reparations but she still manages to twist it

'View' host Sunny Hostin stunned to learn her ancestor was a slaveholder: 'That's disappointing'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/view-host-sunny-hostin-stunned-learn-ancestor-slaveholder-disappointing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2024, 09:16:03 PM »
I'm working on a theory that all the talk about reparations is a smokescreen to distract from the real issue of black land loss in the South.

People don't make nuanced, case by case evaluations of anything nowadays, so if you can turn people against an entire category of ideas by polluting the waters with preposterous rage-bait, you can potentially avoid having to deal with people who have legitimate grievances because public opinion will dismiss them by association.

The real question as always is not what we are seeing front and center but why we are seeing it and what's behind the curtain.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 10:03:36 PM »
Are you saying that you believe the people active in pushing the concept of modern reparations are secretly trying to poison the well against black people’s legitimate concerns?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 10:10:03 PM »
It seems likely. The macro trend in the US overall is a massive migration of wealth from older northern cities to the southeast; it's basically a land rush in progress and there are still billions to be made bilking people out of their land on technicalities, land that all of a sudden is worth something. It's nothing that hasn't been happening for generations but the demographic trend is making it harder to sweep under the rug. The sooner "they" can create a culture-war wedge out of a non specific concept of "reparations", which the shallow conservatives will inevitably oppose not with reasoned principle but with gut feeling, the better for those who would like to be able to keep stealing land and keep getting away with it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2024, 08:07:20 AM »
That's an interesting perspective, zahc.

If I'm understanding your theory correctly, you see Floridian gentrification being driven by a secret cabal of northern elites with the complicity of black political activists such as Sheila Jackson Lee, John Conyers, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Al Sharpton, Cornel West, Henry Louis Gates Jr., and black organizations such as the NAACP, NAARC?  Or in your model, are these people and groups unwitting pawns of the cabal, being used as puppets by the elderly, wealthy, liberal New Yorkers who are cunningly pitting "shallow conservatives" against their black strawmen, who they also can't wait to steal land from?

I don't know that you're wrong, but so far I don't find the theory particularly compelling or necessary to fit the facts.

It seems much more likely to me that the pattern of wealthy people and corporations buying low-value land from its largely poor owners, increasing the value of that land through investment in building and use of political pressure to improve public services and amenities, and then profiting from the increased value has little to nothing to do with reparations or race.  It happens across the country, at various scales, across time, and without respect to the race of the poor landowners.  I'm not even convinced that it is even universally or exclusively a bad thing. 

It also seems likely to me that poor, black landowners are feeling the same pressure felt by poor landowners across the racial spectrum.

But, again, I don't know for certain that there isn't a Jewish Cabal secretly manipulating the dumb black people to demand reparations because the cabal knows that will anger the dumb conservatives which will cause a backlash against the black landowners that the cabal can use to mask their nefarious plot to build townhouses and pickleball courts.  Reality doesn't always line up with the most reasonable, rational, or simplest explanations, so maybe you're spot on.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2024, 01:35:02 PM »
Much simpler.

Southern gentrification is being driven not by a secret cabal but mainly by air conditioning. And tax policy, which is itself an outcome of unsustainable fiscal policies in the North. The south is not any more fiscally responsible. Their bills just haven't had as much time to come due.

The black political activists are just grifters.

Black land loss in the south is a big, looming issue that's been going on since the civil war but is getting harder to sweep under the rug as the land becomes more attractive. The USDA lawsuits of the 90s were a warning and the government and the ones benefitting really doesn't want any repeats because the whole thing stinks to heaven, looks bad for Democrats, and amounts to hundreds of billions of value.

But otherwise, I do think the reparations media storm is a smokescreen for something, potentially an attempt to avoid stopping theft in progress, cover up recent, actual -racist shenanigans, and/or get out of paying legitimate reparations.
--Tallpine