Author Topic: The 2018 Ig Nobel prizes are out  (Read 877 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The 2018 Ig Nobel prizes are out
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
https://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2018

My favorite this year is the Nutrition Prize, which has cautionary advice for all of us after TEOTWAWKI:

NUTRITION PRIZE [ZIMBABWE, TANZANIA, UK] — James Cole, for calculating that the caloric intake from a human-cannibalism diet is significantly lower than the caloric intake from most other traditional meat diets.

REFERENCE: "Assessing the Calorific Significance of Episodes of Human Cannibalism in the Paleolithic," James Cole, Scientific Reports, vol. 7, no. 44707, April 7, 2017.

WHO ATTENDED THE CEREMONY: James Cole

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The 2018 Ig Nobel prizes are out
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
https://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2018

My favorite this year is the Nutrition Prize, which has cautionary advice for all of us after TEOTWAWKI:

NUTRITION PRIZE [ZIMBABWE, TANZANIA, UK] — James Cole, for calculating that the caloric intake from a human-cannibalism diet is significantly lower than the caloric intake from most other traditional meat diets.

REFERENCE: "Assessing the Calorific Significance of Episodes of Human Cannibalism in the Paleolithic," James Cole, Scientific Reports, vol. 7, no. 44707, April 7, 2017.

WHO ATTENDED THE CEREMONY: James Cole

I REALLY would rather not attend that awards dinner.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
I'm not sure how this made the IGNobels:

CHEMISTRY PRIZE [PORTUGAL] — Paula Romão, Adília Alarcão and the late César Viana, for measuring the degree to which human saliva is a good cleaning agent for dirty surfaces.

REFERENCE: "Human Saliva as a Cleaning Agent for Dirty Surfaces," by Paula M. S. Romão, Adília M. Alarcão and César A.N. Viana, Studies in Conservation, vol. 35, 1990, pp. 153-155.

WHO ATTENDED THE CEREMONY: The winners delivered their acceptance speech via recorded video.

That seems useful information to know.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
^^^I would have gotten more from the study if it was on dog saliva.  The dog thinks a big part of his job is to pre-treat the dishes before they go into the dishwasher.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
LITERATURE PRIZE [AUSTRALIA, EL SALVADOR, UK] — Thea Blackler, Rafael Gomez, Vesna Popovic and M. Helen Thompson, for documenting that most people who use complicated products do not read the instruction manual.

REFERENCE: "Life Is Too Short to RTFM: How Users Relate to Documentation and Excess Features in Consumer Products," Alethea L. Blackler, Rafael Gomez, Vesna Popovic and M. Helen Thompson, Interacting With Computers, vol. 28, no. 1, 2014, pp. 27-46.

WHO PLANS TO ATTEND THE CEREMONY: Thea Blackler

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »
^^^I would have gotten more from the study if it was on dog saliva.  The dog thinks a big part of his job is to pre-treat the dishes before they go into the dishwasher.

I know that dishes generally come out very clean, never a problem with remaining stuck food after the dog's been at it.  ;)