Author Topic: Used jeeps- i.e. Vehicle shopping  (Read 1526 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Used jeeps- i.e. Vehicle shopping
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
I've started casually looking for something but I can't understand why used wranglers are priced so crazy high and new ones are ridiculous.I might go look at a 4 door unlimited that is nearby, 2016 with hard top and manual tranny but it has the 3.15 axle and no diff lock which I can't get excited about.
Purely by accident I found an ad for an old mil surplus forestry service m715 "5 quarter ton" Kaiser with 18000 miles on it and sent the ad listing to my wife's email strictly as a joke. She actually thinks it's kinda cool and wants me to go look at it. Not what I had in mind but it does cause one to ponder....
I was hoping to wait until the new ford ranger comes out and then consider my options but my 20 year old F250 is showing signs of terminal illness and I might have to find something sooner.
Not finding many good lightly used wranglers or wrangler unlimited hard tops that aren't well north of $30k.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Used jeeps- i.e. Vehicle shopping
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Jeeps are a sorta niche vehicle with a ton of aftermarket support and a large fan base.

They hold their value well and don't get much cheaper even when beat up.  It is what it is.

On top of all that trucks of any sort or pretty popular right now, and so tend to be expensive even used.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:38:57 PM »
It’s all about demand. Jeep wranglers, Tacoma’s, diesel pickup trucks are all very sought after, hence the prices
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
The M715 can be fun to play with.
I've enjoyed mine but I haven't done much with it the last couple of years.
It is NOT a commuter vehicle. Comfortable cruising speed is about 40-45Mph. It'll do 60 if you push it hard but it will beat the hell out of you.
The concept of the M715 was supposed to be "off the shelf" turned into a military vehicle. That didn't work out. There are few interchangeable parts for it.
Brake shoes can be fairly easily modified from readily available parts, the electric is 24Vdc as originally built, wheels are proprietary but tires are available.
Bring a trailer and $2500 and you can haul mine away with you.
 =D

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
The current series of Wranglers aren't a good choice for much of anything other than driving on pavement. When Jeep came out with the now-current series, they widened the track a few inches but didn't beef up the axle tubes. As a result, in moderate to severe off-road use the front axle tubes bend. The aftermarket has responded with a kit that includes new tubes that have to be slipped insode the existing tubes and welded in place, and gussets to reinforce the "Cs" that hold the ball joints and steering knuckles.

They're hard to find, but a much better vehicle is the TJ Unlimited -- the original, stretched 2-door Unlimited from the previous Wrangler series.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
On top of all that trucks of any sort or pretty popular right now, and so tend to be expensive even used.

With end of the model year deals often in the $8K range, you can about buy a new F150 for cheaper than the same trim on one that's 1-2 years old.

If I put my 4Runner with 40K miles on the market today for say $4K less than I bought it for four years ago, it would be gone tomorrow. There are more and more vehicles where that "lose 25% of the value when you drive it off the dealer's lot" no longer applies.

It almost makes me want to change my "drive it at least ten years" philosophy. For either my F150 or my 4Runner, there would be very little out of pocket for me to sell the old and buy the new within the <5 year timeframe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Besides the slow death of my F250, what's really motivating me here is a desire to reduce the fleet to only 2 vehicles. I no longer need the hauling/towing capability of the 3/4ton. But I do need 4wd and the ability to pull a trailer or fishing boat occaisionally. Nothing bigger than a jeep or midsize truck could handle.
A plus if it's something my wife could drive if needed. She hates my current truck and hast driven it in years.
I don't need serious off road but I live in a secluded wooded and hilly area on a 1 lane road and about a mile from better road that snow plows run.
I sold the summer only 2seat sports car last week. We have a 4 door sedan that is our primary vehicle and daily driver. Unit 2 would replace my truck for hunting season, ocaisional short trips etc. my wife will be in Minnesota with our car next month for 7-10 days after her mother has surgery. She's worried that if my current truck is dead or disabled, I'm stuck and can't get back and forth to work. So there is some motivation to find something in the next 3-4 weeks.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »
This is what I really want, and I would love to commute with it in all but the worst weather, but there is no way it could be my only vehicle.

https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/d/1965-jeep-cj5/6692600665.html

I already have the appropriate headgear:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/99wkxj/somebody_tried_to_turn_in_an_m1_helmet_what_am_i/
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
I had a cj7 years ago and it was great. It was a renegade with the 304v8. The odo quit working around 160k but I drove it long after. It got so bad and rattle and rusty that the hood latches were the only thing holding the fenders up. Right after a divorce I decided I needed a therapy project. I took it down to the frame, added a lift kit and rebuilt suspension on up. Put a strong 360 4bbl with fender well headers in it and a fiberglass body kit with frame supported 6 pt roll cage. 33" tires. It was fun!

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
I might go look at a 4 door unlimited that is nearby, 2016 with hard top and manual tranny but it has the 3.15 axle and no diff lock which I can't get excited about.

Gearing and lockers? Easy fix !!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
Demand. Jeep's have a following and command big prices because folks can get big prices on them. Same goes for certain other vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
Besides the slow death of my F250, what's really motivating me here is a desire to reduce the fleet to only 2 vehicles. I no longer need the hauling/towing capability of the 3/4ton. But I do need 4wd and the ability to pull a trailer or fishing boat occaisionally. Nothing bigger than a jeep or midsize truck could handle.

I went from an F250 to the F150 as well a couple of years ago. Didn't really need the F250 capacity, and given them going to aluminum, the payload and towing capacity on the F150 has greatly increased, even in the "non-towing" configurations. I just have the XLT, but to me, the included interior doodads and comfort are pretty car-like. I think your wife would drive one. I find that the truck rides more like a car than my 4Runner does. I don't know about Jeeps, but the body on frame of the 4Runner makes it a pretty truck-like ride, at least on my Trail model with AT/LT tires.

Also, I've noticed that the midsized trucks out now are not all that much smaller than a standard sized 1/2 ton truck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »
One plus of the truck over jeep is gas mileage. The new ranger is supposed to get about 30 highway.
Apparently nothing holds value like the jeeps though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
One plus of the truck over jeep is gas mileage. The new ranger is supposed to get about 30 highway.
Apparently nothing holds value like the jeeps though.

Yeah, even my F150 gets 26mpg on the highway, and that little 2.7 Ecoboost is sporty.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
Anything I get (except a kaiser m715) will get better fuel economy than my 20 year old 6.8L triton V10

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
^^^By way of comparison, my 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 double cab short bed has a lifetime MPG of 23.3 according to Fuelly.  I get about 24.5 MPG on the freeway with nothing in the bed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
I went to look at the 2016 unlimited Sahara. Not impressed and $31k is sellers bottom dollar. For crying out loud that probably what it sold for new! Some cosmetic issues and needs tires.
Priced a new unltd sport with some nice options at $40k and if I could find a 2 door w manual and hardtop I could be around $33k. The new body style and changes are nice, the 2018 4 door felt more like driving a luxury car and not as trucky.
If I can't find something used and reasonable I can go back to limping along until the 2019 ranger hits the lots. I should be able to get a well equiped 4x4 one for not much over $30k.
My wife thinks I should be able to find something for 20-25. I don't think that's going to happen.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
My reality list so far:
A mil surp kaiser jeep M715 would be a fun project but isn't practical as a second vehicle.
Good lightly used 4wd tacomas and Chevy Colorado trucks are scarce and priced only slightly less than new ones.
Used jeeps are priced not much under new and darn close to what they sold for new.
The new jeep wranglers have some significant design and tech changes making them expensive but probably the best value over say the next 10 years.
I have to call my tax guy Monday and find out if I can claim part of a jeep for farm use or does it have to be a truck to qualify. I seem to remember something along those lines when I bought the F250 those 20 years ago.
I could be quite happy with a 2 door hardtop with manual tranny and AC and trailer/tow and not much else. Still gonna be $33+ and 20mpg.
Used is either rusting piles of spluttering crap or priced like new. Trucks or jeeps.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
Anything I get (except a kaiser m715) will get better fuel economy than my 20 year old 6.8L triton V10

My 2015 Wrangler 2-door gets a pretty solid 21 mpg on my commute.
My M715 with a Chevy 292 straight 6 gets 7-8 mpg.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »
King creek I brought a 2wd Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and extended cab in the tradesman trim (still nicely equipped) for $32k in August of 2016, with 0% APR. 8 speed ZF transmission. It gets avg 22-23 mpg during my daily commute. A 4x4 probably wouldn’t be rediculously more.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!