Author Topic: Daily aspirin if you are over age 70 has no benefit and increases GI bleeding  (Read 631 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1800722?query=featured_home

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45511362

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/09/16/647415462/study-a-daily-baby-aspirin-has-no-benefit-for-healthy-older-people?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

More and more evidence that if you don't have a history of heart attack or stroke, taking a daily low dose aspirin has no benefit and does have risks as you get older.   So I have been taking 81 mg. aspirin every day for many years now, as primary protection against heart attack and colon cancer.  More and more, it is looking as if that may be useless, since I don't have a history of either.  Something to discuss with my internist at the next visit when I turn 59.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I have Leiden Factor V so I take daily aspirin as a matter of course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Cliffh

• friend
Over 60 and my doc said to keep taking 81mg a day.   No history (family or my own) of heart problems, etc., take it just in case.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I take half of an adult aspirin every couple of days.  Makes my nose bleed, though --some prior damage in there.  I sometimes take half of an Aleve instead.

My pill cutter is used a lot.

I'm the same way with most supplements, I rarely take them consistently, but sort of "take one from column A and one from column B" sort of every day, but not necessarily.  Some things definitely upset me, like one brand of multiple vits.

When I was taking larger quantities of aspirin, I found it interfered with my integrative mental processes.  I thought it was the onset of Alzheimer's at the time but it went away when I cut back.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:52:24 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
One doesn't "have a history" of heart attack or stroke unless/until one has had at least one heart attack or one stroke. The whole point of the daily mini-dose of aspirin is to prevent that history from beginning.

My wife died in January of 2014. She had no history of heart attack or stroke. She had just returned from a visit to her native country. It was an eleven-hour plane flight. I picked her up at the airport, and she collapsed in the car en route home. Ambulance met us on the highway, transported her to the hospital, they could save her. The cause of death was a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot that formed in her leg and broke loose, blocking blood flow to the lungs and thus making re-oxygenation of the blood impossible).

If she had been taking a daily does of aspirin, the blood clot perhaps (probably?) would not have formed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design