Author Topic: Refurbished laptops...  (Read 2839 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Refurbished laptops...
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:56:08 AM »
I mentioned that my HP tablet was having battery problems. Well, it's now got a much larger problem... I dropped it and apparently that has largely killed it. I can get it to turn on, but I have to flex the screen to get that to work. And, after it warms up a bit, it shuts down again.

I liked the tablet, but it was never as functional for my purposes as I had hoped that it would be, so I'm thinking that this time I'm going to get a laptop. I don't need much in the way of powder, as it will really be a surfing unit and to use when I travel, so I'm thinking refurbished.

Any thoughts?

Dell is going to be the likely choice, but there are a lot of vendors.. Dell, Zoom (Walmart), PCRefurb, there are a ton of companies that deal in this stuff.

Right now I'm looking at a Dell 5500s, 6400s, etc.

OS doesn't much matter to me, either 7 or 10 is good.

So, what says the hive mind?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Refurbished laptops...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
I've had nothing but good luck with Dell Outlet products. Direct experience with both refurb and scratch & dent items. Go for it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
I mentioned that my HP tablet was having battery problems. Well, it's now got a much larger problem... I dropped it and apparently that has largely killed it. I can get it to turn on, but I have to flex the screen to get that to work. And, after it warms up a bit, it shuts down again.

I liked the tablet, but it was never as functional for my purposes as I had hoped that it would be, so I'm thinking that this time I'm going to get a laptop. I don't need much in the way of powder, as it will really be a surfing unit and to use when I travel, so I'm thinking refurbished.

Any thoughts?

Dell is going to be the likely choice, but there are a lot of vendors.. Dell, Zoom (Walmart), PCRefurb, there are a ton of companies that deal in this stuff.

Right now I'm looking at a Dell 5500s, 6400s, etc.

OS doesn't much matter to me, either 7 or 10 is good.

So, what says the hive mind?

Win 7 reaches end of life (no more security updates) in a short year and a half.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »
I bought a Lenovo refurbished, a 400T, a couple of years ago as an "experiment box". I got it on Woot! for $150 and didn't expect much. I was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Worked like a new machine, and the only giveaway that it was refurbished was that the "N" key was worn. I also liked that it was a clean OS install with no bloatware. Especially good since I needed it as a sterile machine. Had I bought new, I would have had to wipe and reinstall.

While I might not go refurbished for my main computer, for a travel laptop or what have you, I would have no problem doing so.

Edit: Lenovo not Dell. No coffee before posting again.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:32:58 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
I bought a nice refurbed laptop from newegg business. They have a regular consumer division too.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
"Win 7 reaches end of life (no more security updates) in a short year and a half."

Hum... That I didn't know.

Not really sure if it's a factor to me given how I'm going to be using it, but I'll have to keep that in mind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
Looks like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dealer in refurb laptops from Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc. Wow. I didn't realize that it had grown that big.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
"Any thoughts? "

Get one with a lanyard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
I typically buy a refurbed Lenovo Thinkpad every few years off amazon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:27:08 AM »
I bought a refurbished HP Elitebook 8560P from one of our members a couple of years ago.  Aside from the worn 'L' key on the keyboard, it was in good shape.  It's the machine I use for church functions and travel, and it works well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
I used to buy Toshiba Satellites from Toshiba Direct, but it seems that Toshiba has dropped out of the consumer laptop market and is strictly focused on the business market. No more Satellites. I hope the ones I have will last me for a long time, because I don't know what else I'd buy. I don't like HPs, and I haven't heard much good about Dell laptops (other than one happy customer in this thread).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
I used to buy Toshiba Satellites from Toshiba Direct, but it seems that Toshiba has dropped out of the consumer laptop market and is strictly focused on the business market.

I have always found the "business" category of laptops to be much better bang for the buck than consumer laptops*. Better processors, often with discrete video, non-soldered in memory, etc. Also often not nearly as much bloatware from the manufacturer.

*Not counting gaming laptops, but then you're way up there in price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Calumus

• friend

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
Looking at the Dell Outlet page now and see an Inspiron 5570 with really solid specs, enough to make it a viable home machine. It's doubly attractive given the 35% price reduction. Don't know if $560 is in your price range but it's certainly worth a look.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdfXXq%2bkLchLoU9nqUc5dODKQptljXeRru716VtMW%2fPUerrBvr4xNhE0NbD47Ql44kWpDLYAWzG50iU0nIIricPc48aBxaNNg2Et%2fBHVkLahtvSvkdI%2fnruNrCT4%2bGE20H9y%2bbp2NwGKQKNLgIJRN1NagWqasDxQ04fDCOyUg17PFdH7AiVRr2GJMFWqxSJAx8FgelELbkKLU

Only downside to the Dell Outlet is you better be ready to buy if you see something you like. Stock is what you see. There is no warehouse full of the same model waiting to be sold.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
Another vote for business grade laptops.  My HP ProBook is still going strong after six years.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
I'm looking cheap and functional. Really don't want to spend all that much.

I'm looking seriously at this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Dell-14-E6420-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i5-Processor-4GB-Memory-320GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Pro/37403500

Solid specs, Windows 10, and it doesn't appear to have a bunch of bloatware preinstalled. And it's big enough for my needs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
I recently bought a referbushed Dell of of Ebay to be my dedicated 3D Printer machine.  Paid like $120 bucks and got an 3 year old business class Dell with a Windows 10 license.  It seems to work pretty well, although it is noticeably slower than my 5 year old Gaming laptop.  But it web searches and runs 3d modeling and slicing software just fine.

Go for it if you don't need a powerful machine.

I got mine from this guy: https://www.ebay.com/usr/tampa_laptops?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Also of note, while it shipped with 32-bit W10 installed, it had 64-bit hardware, so I reinstalled 64 bit Windows 10 and it works fine with the same license.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
Hell, there's a crap ton of choices with Windows 10 that meet my rather rock bottom requirements.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Yeah, I was a little surprised when I started looking.  $100-$150 can get you a pretty capable laptop these days.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I'd forgotten about NewEgg... They've got pretty good stuff at decent prices...

And the warranty that comes with their stuff is 1 year instead of 90 days.

This one is a serious contender right now...

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-34-298-861

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
I'd forgotten about NewEgg... They've got pretty good stuff at decent prices...

And the warranty that comes with their stuff is 1 year instead of 90 days.

This one is a serious contender right now...

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-34-298-861
I've purchased quite a bit of computer equipment from their business side with no complaints.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Hum... that one on the business side doesn't appear to have a wireless card in it....

I'm also finding a couple of good possibilities on the consumer NewEgg side...

Way too many possible choices.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
You can get USB WiFi dongles for under $25. They work fairly well -- I've used a couple of them to add WiFi to older desktop boxes that didn't have the capability built in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
I have always found the "business" category of laptops to be much better bang for the buck than consumer laptops*. Better processors, often with discrete video, non-soldered in memory, etc. Also often not nearly as much bloatware from the manufacturer.

*Not counting gaming laptops, but then you're way up there in price.

Usually far easier to work on, if one does need to.  They're made to be put together once.

I just put an SSD into an Inspiron laptop.  Take the thing apart, get the motherboard out, because the hard disk is on the bottom of it.  Then put it all back together.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.