Author Topic: They still have no clue as to "What Happened"...  (Read 2795 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
They still have no clue as to "What Happened"...
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
A Fresh Look Back at 2016...misses the mark completely.  The three "Political Scientists"  (Now that's an oxymoron....) think that the racist, sexist, bigoted, in-bred, homophobes voted because of
Issues of identity — race, religion, gender and ethnicity — and not economics were the driving forces that determined how people voted, particularly white voters.

Yep, you keep telling yourselves that...What was it Napoleon said??   Oh, "Never interrupt your enemy when he's busy making a mistake."

So you go Dem's.  Keep up with the identity politics.  I can tell you that people vote their wallet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-fresh-look-back-at-2016-finds-america-with-an-identity-crisis/2018/09/15/0ac62364-b8f0-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.d25d8b6dfa04   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: They still have no clue as to "What Happened"...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
People do vote their wallets, but only sometimes.
I mean, we had 8 years of Obama if you'll recall...
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »
Part of it also was people finally saw Trump as someone not in the establishment who might actually change a few things and fight back against some of the leftist nonsense in media and news.  I figure a chunk of the Trump voters would have stayed at home if they were left with other choices.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pQdqPzozc
Victor Davis Hanson - The Mythologies of the 2016 Election
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
People do vote their wallets, but only sometimes.
I mean, we had 8 years of Obama if you'll recall...

I find Trump's brand of hopey-changey to be a lot better than Obama's hopey-changey.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
I find Trump's brand of hopey-changey to be a lot better than Obama's hopey-changey.
And before Trump, you had McCain and Romney.  More like hopey-maybe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
A fresh look at 2016? Yeah, that's not really a thing right now. It probably won't happen until the Left gives up on its coup attempt, and accepts what the voters decided. Until then, 2016 will continue.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
The media keeps saying they are going to win big in November.  Why should they change?  Makes me doubt the claims about November.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
The media keeps saying they are going to win big in November.  Why should they change?  Makes me doubt the claims about November.

Might be interesting

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html

Even in Iowa the next governor could flip from GOP to Democrat. Most polls show a tie.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 02:21:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pQdqPzozc
Victor Davis Hanson - The Mythologies of the 2016 Election

I've loved his Greek historical works.   The Soul of Battle is simply a must read.  But he really outdoes himself with modern political analysis.  With the loss of Stephen Hawking, he is probably the smartest person in the world.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »
I've loved his Greek historical works.   The Soul of Battle is simply a must read.  But he really outdoes himself with modern political analysis.  With the loss of Stephen Hawking, he is probably the smartest person in the world.
I appreciated how he sometimes ties current events to political events and commentary in ancient Greece.  That stuff really makes you think about what is really new.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
Might be interesting

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html

Even in Iowa the next governor could flip from GOP to Democrat. Most polls show a tie.
I don't trust that website unless I have time to go look through their actual polling data.  Before the 2016 election, they were showing states leaning to Hilary that had recent polling showing Trump ahead.  In the Senate, Democrats have a lot more seats at risk than Republicans.

They are showing Ted Cruz' seat as a toss up.  They show Cruz ahead in every poll they have listed.  How is that a toss up?  IMO, he will likely win by double digits, but we will see. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
I don't trust that website unless I have time to go look through their actual polling data.  Before the 2016 election, they were showing states leaning to Hilary that had recent polling showing Trump ahead.  In the Senate, Democrats have a lot more seats at risk than Republicans.

They are showing Ted Cruz' seat as a toss up.  They show Cruz ahead in every poll they have listed.  How is that a toss up?  IMO, he will likely win by double digits, but we will see. 

We will find out on Nov 7th, I know there is a lot folk who voted for Trump and other R's in 2016 that are not happy.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 09:46:22 AM »
We will find out on Nov 7th, I know there is a lot folk who voted for Trump and other R's in 2016 that are not happy.

Were they happy in 2016?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »

Were they happy in 2016?

No, but they bought in on the Trump is going to save the fly over country.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 11:11:08 AM »
To quote the Supreme Empress Hillary I, legitimate heir and successor to His Sainted Holiness, Barry I, What difference at this point does it make?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
I guess everyone has their own idea about what prosperity means and how quickly it should happen. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
I guess everyone has their own idea about what prosperity means and how quickly it should happen. 

Some people always look to government for solutions to their personal problems.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
Might be interesting

People have very short memories.  They will be reminded before the November 2018 elections.  I just hope they are paying attention.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
One thing I was also reminded of is the Florida Gov is running for Senate after recently signing the new gun control legislation.  I will be curious to see what that does for him. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »

Because of the tariffs, right ??  So they are voting with their wallets ??

Color me shocked.... ;/ ;/ ;/ ;/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
Because of the tariffs, right ??  So they are voting with their wallets ??

Color me shocked.... ;/ ;/ ;/ ;/

A handful of simple legislative actions could benefit a lot of the folks in rural areas.

1) vertical agriculture is made illegal, packers must buy on the open market, no more contract producers or ownership of raw agricultural commities until x number of days before slaughter/processing.

2) ag lending is taken away from government and given back to local banks

3)break up the large regional and national banks

4) start enforcing anti-monopoly laws, end holding companies

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
A handful of simple legislative actions could benefit a lot of the folks in rural areas.

1) vertical agriculture is made illegal, packers must buy on the open market, no more contract producers or ownership of raw agricultural commities until x number of days before slaughter/processing.

2) ag lending is taken away from government and given back to local banks

3)break up the large regional and national banks

4) start enforcing anti-monopoly laws, end holding companies

1) Don't consumers benefit due to lower prices ??

2) Agree, .gov should do any lending.  But at some point someone that It Was A Good Idea to have .gov do loans because those stingy local bankers weren't giving farmers money/had too strict requirements to lend.

3) Since we have decided to privatize profit and socialize losses (16 or 17 times now, after banks have f'd up, the .gov has bailed them out and we have "too big to fail"), good luck with that.   Trump could be just the one to end it, but he's got an uphill battle in Congress.  ANd the D's are more beholden to Wall Stree and big banks more then the R's.

4) Where are the monopolies, and why to do you want to break up family farms.  (Trusts and the like are the only way to prevent the fire sales of family farms.)  Plus with Ag prices so bad at the moment, you'd think that you could get Ag land fairly cheap.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
1) Don't consumers benefit due to lower prices ??

Do they? Was food more expensive in the 50s to 70s when there was very little contract growing and packers bought direct from the producers. I talk with contract pork growers almost daily, they wish they could go back to owning the pigs and selling then at auctions or buying stations. They contract grow because they already have the confinements but no place to sell pigs, so they contract grow. This means Tyson owns the pigs and feed, the farmer provides the confinement, does the chores and handles the manure. I know a lot of farmers who would like to raise a 25-50 pigs are additional income, but there is no place to sell them. Packers what semi loads of 230# pigs guaranteed on a certain day. 

2) Agree, .gov should do any lending.  But at some point someone that It Was A Good Idea to have .gov do loans because those stingy local bankers weren't giving farmers money/had too strict requirements to lend.

Local lending causes people to come to smaller towns and cities, allows for local businesses to thrive.
3) Since we have decided to privatize profit and socialize losses (16 or 17 times now, after banks have f'd up, the .gov has bailed them out and we have "too big to fail"), good luck with that.   Trump could be just the one to end it, but he's got an uphill battle in Congress.  ANd the D's are more beholden to Wall Stree and big banks more then the R's.

why we need to throw all the incumbents out on there asses on Nov 6, they are the problem.

4) Where are the monopolies, and why to do you want to break up family farms.  (Trusts and the like are the only way to prevent the fire sales of family farms.)  Plus with Ag prices so bad at the moment, you'd think that you could get Ag land fairly cheap.

Ag land is not drastically falling with low commodity prices and extremely narrow profits or losses, average Iowa price is still $6500 per acre. Some areas going for a lot more, other areas not so much. Going to take a crisis like the one in the early 80s, I'm reluctantly waiting for the almost daily equipment auctions that happened in the early 80s. Cash rents have been starting to drop, but not enough to be profitable, inputs are still high too (seed, fertilizer, chemicals, fuel). Farmers always complain about not making money, but it is getting a bit scary the last 2-3 years, not sure . Used pickup truck prices are really high now, mostly because the Ag community isn't buying new trucks because they can't afford them and not trading their old ones in.

Why do you think I want to break up family farms, have I ever said that? You assume too much. In most family farm corporations, the land is not owned by the corporation because if the corporation had to fold, then the land would have to be sold. Don't sell land because you'll never get it back. Land is usually owned by different members of the family (active farming or renting from a relative) the rest is rented from other landowners, many 3 generations removed from the farm. Think 80 acres inherited/owned by someone in California who's great parents was the last relative that farmed it. Those are usually in a perpetual trust and never will be sold.

I'm taking about companies like Berkshire Hathaway, Koch Industries, Alphabet, Johnson and Johnson,  Dupont/Dow/Pioneer, Monsanto/Bayer, Tyson Foods Inc, Smithfield Foods, Cargill, ConAgra, etc. Start getting over a 15% market share, perhaps it is time to start breaking up the company, more competition would be a good thing for consumers and workers.

Uranus is a gas giant.