Author Topic: Bicyclist sets new land speed record of 183.9 MPH  (Read 1259 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bicyclist sets new land speed record of 183.9 MPH
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/18/649221471/woman-rides-bicycle-to-183-9-mph-a-new-world-record?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

When I first saw the headline, I wondered what sort of violation of the laws of physics this was.  Then I read the article: the bicyclist was towed on a cable behind a dragster equipped with a windscreen for the cyclist.  The bicyclist disconnected the cable at 150 MPH and started pedaling while the dragster and windscreen kept pace in front of the cyclist, who reached a top speed of 183.9 MPH. 

This is quite an accomplishment, but it is not as impressive as the cyclist getting up to that speed unaided.  I am sure I could go pretty fast too, if I was towed along.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Bicyclist sets new land speed record of 183.9 MPH
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »
I prefer the guys trying to break the speed record downhilling on a volcano with like a 100% grade. Video somewhere, the crash was epic once front frame and back frame decided they were no longer living together.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
Sounds like she would've been able to do it on her own if they had set up multiple gears to go through instead of just the one. Still might've needed the dragster to block the wind and create the slipstream.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:01:19 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:36:42 PM »
Sounds like she would of been able to do it on her own if they had set up multiple gears to go through instead of just the one. Still might of needed the dragster to block the wind and create the slipstream.

I think the number of gears needed to allow a human to get from zero to 183 MPH would weigh so much that the feat wouldn't be possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »
Sounds like she would have been able to do it on her own if they had set up multiple gears to go through instead of just the one. Still might have needed the dragster to block the wind and create the slipstream.

Fixed.

/pet peeve
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE

The one I was thinking of. 107 mph and a bunch of rehab time. Ow.
AKA Navy Joe   

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
The actual human powered land-speed record sits at 89.58 mph. That's for an unaided run on flat ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_records#History_of_unpaced_records

They set those records on an unusually flat stretch of highway a few miles south of my home town. About once a year the certifying body, IHPVA, shuts down the highway and hold an event where people come from all over to try and break the current records. My high school physics class used to help out with the event. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go because I had a football game on the same day.  
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE

The one I was thinking of. 107 mph and a bunch of rehab time. Ow.
Cool.  Looked like he needed a parachute to pop out near the end.....or maybe a stronger bike. 

I was also sort of wondering if he would make it down to the water and hit a ramp. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
On the "assist" from a dragster, after all, Chuck Yeager, aboard "Glamorous Glenda," "Glamorous Glennis"  had to be carried up to altitude slung under a B-29 and start out at x hundred miles an hour in order to break the sound barrier.  That was considered legit, right?

=D [popcorn]

Thanks for the correction, sumpens.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:50:01 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 10:23:51 PM »
As a land speed record without conditions, it is still the last speed record.  They just bypassed some pretty big barriers to get there.  She still accelerated under her own power to a pretty good speed. 

As they targeted the overall record, their team revamped the same dragster that was used to set the men's record. Dutch cyclist Fred Rompelberg, the now-previous record holder, had gone 167 mph behind the car in 1995.
She didn't invent the method.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »

On the "assist" from a dragster, after all, Chuck Yeager, aboard "Glamorous Glenda," had to be carried up to altitude slung under a B-29 and start out at x hundred miles an hour in order to break the sound barrier.  That was considered legit, right?

The B29 didn't continue to stay in front of it in order to give the X-1 an aerodynamic advantage, though. ;)

Being towed up to 130 and then accelerating to 183.9 means that she had a ΔV of 53.9mph, and that was with an aerodynamic assist. Impressive, but the woman who has done it the fastest unassisted had a ΔV of 75.69 mph.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:34:21 PM »
^ "The B29 didn't continue to stay in front of it in order to give the X-1 an aerodynamic advantage, though. Wink"

True, but I figured I'd better go back in that one and add a big grin and a popcorn.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:55:27 PM »
The bike is a lie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 01:12:30 AM »
The bike is a lie.

???

You mean she ran 183.9 MPH?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:04 AM »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 01:28:31 AM »
On the "assist" from a dragster, after all, Chuck Yeager, aboard "Glamorous Glenda," had to be carried up to altitude slung under a B-29 and start out at x hundred miles an hour in order to break the sound barrier.  That was considered legit, right?

=D [popcorn]

Glamorous Glennis.

YW.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Anything over 30 mph on a bike feels sketchy to me.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Glamorous Glennis.

YW.

Ouch.  Me go fix. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 06:20:12 PM »
It was going to be Glenda but Chuck caught Glenda one morning before brushes, soap, and makeup, turns out not so much on the glamour.
AKA Navy Joe