Author Topic: Tiocfaidh ár lá  (Read 558 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Tiocfaidh ár lá
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:45 AM »
Our Day Will Come.   Sooner rather than later.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-united-ireland-north-border-dup-reunification-republic-uk-loyalist-republican-a8494556.html

It may well be that Brexit could bring about Irish (re) Unification.  It seems that Northern Ireland voted overwhelmingly to remain.  (56%- 44%)  
Since the 1998 Good Friday Agreement (basically ending 30+ years of "The Troubles" that claimed almost 4,000 lives), there has been peace in Northern Ireland as the Catholics and Protestants have disarmed.  Now while it's not all unicorns and rainbows, at least the two sides have not been killing each other over the past 20 years.  

The problem is that part of the agreement got rid of border checkpoints between both countries as both are part of the EU.  At last count there were 278 border crossings.  Then there are ones like this:

Yep, the A3 crosses from Ireland to Northern Ireland and back four times over the space of roughly 4 miles.  How do you set-up border checks on a highway like that.  And Border Checkpoints have a REALLY bad history in Ireland.  The British closed almost all border crossings and made going through the few that remained worse then a full TSA Blue Glove search.  (See Aiden McAnespie to get some idea as the bad feelings new Border Checkpoints may stir up.)  

Now as part of the British-Irish Agreement, within the Good Friday Accords, was the provision that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, and would remain so until a majority of the people both of Northern Ireland and of the Republic of Ireland wished otherwise. Should that happen, then the British and Irish governments are under "a binding obligation" to implement that choice.

In other words should the people of Northern Ireland vote to join the Republic of Ireland the British would have to respect their wishes.  (It would also be put up to a vote in the Republic, were it would most likely pass overwhelmingly.)

Now with recent (last twenty years) changes to the Republic's Constitution;  Removing the "Special Status" of the Catholic Church, Allowing Divorce, Allowing Gay Marriage, and just last year, Allowing Abortion on Demand, with those changes, Ireland differs little from (formerly) Great Britain, making A Nation Once Again, a distinct possibility as there is a growing movement to hold a plebiscite on (re)unification.

We live in interesting times.  My father never thought that Northern Ireland would never, ever consider (re)unification, just like back in the 1980's no one ever considered that Germany would ever re-unify.

I do hope it comes to pass.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:28:06 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Tiocfaidh ár lá
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:17:55 AM »
After a little more research I discovered the following:

1.  Abortion is illegal in Northern Ireland.

2.  The DUP (Democratic Union Party - aka the party Rev. Ian Paisley started back in 1971 as fundamentalist Protestant and Pro-Union, as in NI being part of the UK) is the party that gives Theresa May he slim Majority in the Commons. \

3.  The DUP is very pro-Brexit and Hard Border with the Republic of Ireland (RoI).

4.  Ian Paisley's son is an MP and is currently serving a 30 day suspension from the House of Commons for accepting a free trip from the government of Sri Lanka, then advocating for them in the Commons.  (A no-no.)

5.  There is a recall petition/vote currently taking place on his seat.   Which, if successful, could cause the collapse of May's government.  

So, just when I thought it couldn't get more fun....it does.  

ETA:  Looks like he survived the recall attempt:  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/20/ian-paisley-dup-mp-survives-first-ever-recall-petition-lobbying

Still, Brexit in Ireland shall be interesting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:24:20 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Tiocfaidh ár lá
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »
Paisley was a real hell fire and brimstone preacher.

I heard him preach back in the 80’s.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.