Author Topic: Question for you tech guys, laptop related.  (Read 517 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Question for you tech guys, laptop related.
« on: September 19, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
When my oldest went to college, we bought him a new laptop.  College has a program that lets you buy a laptop, which includes all of the software needed for your major, a Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, etc.), and a repair plan (which includes a loaner laptop).  His 2 year old Lenovo Yoga stayed home, and is going to become my laptop.  Here's the question...is there a way to easily remove him and his user profile, and create one for me?  Or do I have to remove him from each program individually?  It's using Windows 10, and has a Microsoft suite installed, which i would like to use.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: Question for you tech guys, laptop related.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
I used to do that all the time for customers in your situation.  You have exactly the right idea because you can get rid of your son's files but keep the programs (i.e. Microsoft Office).  All you need to do is create a new account for yourself from your son's account.  Then log into your new account and delete your son's old account.  There are many hits on Google but this one seemed pretty straightforward...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security-winpc/creating-and-removing-a-user-account-in-windows-10/f334fcd0-44f8-432b-b723-2a62ba33aea4

You will want to create your new user account as an Administrator account so you have the ability to add/remove programs and make other changes to the computer.  Also, I don't know how much your son used the computer.  But you don't have to delete his account right away (or ever).  You can just ignore it.  Just in case he still has anything on the computer.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »
When my oldest went to college, we bought him a new laptop.  College has a program that lets you buy a laptop, which includes all of the software needed for your major, a Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, etc.), and a repair plan (which includes a loaner laptop).  His 2 year old Lenovo Yoga stayed home, and is going to become my laptop.  Here's the question...is there a way to easily remove him and his user profile, and create one for me?  Or do I have to remove him from each program individually?  It's using Windows 10, and has a Microsoft suite installed, which i would like to use.

"is there a way"

"yes"

Assuming Windows 10, click start menu, then the gear icon (settings).
inside settings, click accounts
inside accounts, on the left edge, pick "other people"
pick "add someone else to this pc"
walk through the dialog.  when it wants to make a microsoft account, say "I don't have this person's sign in information".  
next screen, "add a user without a microsoft account"
next screen, fill in the user name and password details.
once the user is created, in the "other peolple" screen, click the new user, then click "change account type".  Make this one an administrator.

Log out of the current user.  log in to the new user.  go into settings, accounts, other people, and remove the first user
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »
I still have the account I created for my parents on my old computer.

It isn't necessary to remove the old account unless you need the space or such.

That said, my computers all have at least 2 accounts - my regular user account and my admin account.  I only use the latter for admin type stuff.

Make sure you have an admin account, that is about it.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »
I don't need to delete his account.  My needs for the laptop are Word documents, internet surfing, and photo editing and uploading to the matching band web page.  I store the pictures on an external hard drive (one terabyte). 

That said, will I need his passwords?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
I don't need to delete his account.  My needs for the laptop are Word documents, internet surfing, and photo editing and uploading to the matching band web page.  I store the pictures on an external hard drive (one terabyte). 

That said, will I need his passwords?

Not unless you want to imitate being him, access his bank account online and all that.  Not needing his passwords is why you create an administrator account for yourself.  If you don't do that, then you could need his password in order to install software and such. 

Generally there is only 1 password associated with the account, which is used when you log on.  The rest is for online stuff.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
Set myself up as a new user and an admin last night.  Worked fine.  Thanks.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)