Author Topic: Hey Ron or Someone - Water Repllent Spray?  (Read 510 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hey Ron or Someone - Water Repllent Spray?
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
Looking for recommendations from Ron, or someone else that has had good results with a brand.

I'm thinking it's time to treat my 20 year old Gore Tex jacket to give the water repellent a boost. I got rained on good in the Sierra a couple of weeks ago, and while I stayed mostly dry, it seemed like maybe something was starting to work through the shell.

Also I have a pair of synthetic hiking pants (the BC clothing pants that Costco sells) that are not water repellent per se, but was maybe looking to treat them as well.  I was saved by my wool long johns on this last trip. The pants kinda hold a little water off for a while, but when it gets heavier, they get soaked. I know I shoulda had some rain pants with me, but that's water under the pants. :)

Anyway, any recommendations on a good product?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Hey Ron or Someone - Water Repllent Spray?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
I use Nikwax TX Direct spray and am satisfied with its performance.

You should wash the jacket first. I would use a performance wash or detergent with no perfumes. It’s really important to get all the soap/detergent out of the fabric as most detergents are hydrophilic as well as hard to rinse out. Not what you want absorbed into your waterproof membrane. If you use regular detergent rinse twice.

The Revivex brand was originally a Gore product that was formulated for GoreTex waterproof fabrics. They spun it off to someone else so they could focus on selling performance fabrics, their expertise, vs chemicals.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
Follow on to that Ron, what would you recommend for waterproofing a tent, if anything.  I have a Kelty 6 person that is ~10 years old and 1 year old Coleman weathermaster.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
For the record, all of the sprays are water repellents not waterproofers.

The repellency is to maintain the breathability of the fabric when in the rain. Wetted out nylon doesn’t breath.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

For the tent, once again I’ve mostly always used a nikwax product, Tent and gear proof.

If it is leaking you may need to reseal the seams.

Tent and gear-proof also adds some UV protection. The suns rays are hard on nylon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »
For the record, all of the sprays are water repellents not waterproofers.

The repellency is to maintain the breathability of the fabric when in the rain. Wetted out nylon doesn’t breath.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

For the tent, once again I’ve mostly always used a nikwax product, Tent and gear proof.

If it is leaking you may need to reseal the seams.

Tent and gear-proof also adds some UV protection. The suns rays are hard on nylon.

Sorry about the misnomer.  Thank you for the link and the recommendations.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »
Yeah, thanks Ron. I'll give the Nikwax a go.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
I use Scotchguard Heavy Duty Water Shield on my jackets. Seems to work great. Speaking of which, I need to do my Duluth Shirtjack. I wore in the rain the other day and I forgot that I had washed it in the spring and never retreated it. Wet I was.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
I've got an interesting issue related to this.

I picked up a grill gazebo on clearance and have been very happy with it except on issue.

When it rains heavily, the rain gets into a seam at the bottom of the canopy (all the way around) and baloons it up, holding the water there.

So the canopy is doing a great job repelling the rain... except at the seam.

I'm thinking to use some tent seam sealer on it to prevent that. (Once things actually dry out.) Any suggestions on whether than should work?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought