Author Topic: Looks like it's time to get rid of the Supreme Court!  (Read 1379 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Looks like it's time to get rid of the Supreme Court!
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
If we can't have it nobody can!

So let's get rid of the Electoral College because the left lost the election and now the SCOTUS has to go because they don't have the majority there.

These people are so pathetic it's hard to put into words.

What else can we get rid of to make them happy? The Senate? House of Reps.? Due process? Any semblance of checks and balances?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Looks like it's time to get rid of the Supreme Court!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »
Last I heard, the alternate plan of the Bronx chick and a few others was that they would increase the number of justices on the court, then make sure the "new hires" were of the correct political persuasion.

Kind of a Harry Reid rule for the SC. That way when Rs are in power again, they can add more new members and make sure they are all conservative. By 2040, the SC should have around 100 justices.

Idiots.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
The *expletive deleted*ing crybabies are just unhappy that FDRs court packing didn’t pass the first time
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »
Hmmm ...

There are two immediate ways in which right-wing judges and justices might help tilt the playing field in the GOP’s direction. The first is the prospect that Trump judges will move to protect the man who appointed them from criminal prosecution. That worry has only worsened with Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation—in a 2009 law review article, Kavanaugh advocated for a “temporary deferral of civil suits and criminal prosecutions and investigations” for sitting presidents. To be clear, there is nothing in the Constitution that prohibits criminal prosecution of a sitting president guarantees women a right to have abortions. But the absence of an explicit constitutional bar right may not stop partisan judges from discovering one.

Sauce ==> goose ==> gander

As for the anti-voting restrictions ... I'm old, and I'm white, so I guess the fact that I think I should have to prove who I am before I'm allowed to cast a vote only shows how out-of-touch I am with "the times." Strangely, though, although I have to show identification each and every time I vote, in a national, state, or local election, I don't feel that I am being persecuted or discriminated against. I feel, in fact, like I'm being protected. As I have commented previously, I would be very upset if I showed up at the voting place late in the day and I was turned away because they said that "I" had already voted, earlier in the day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »
What else can we get rid of to make them happy? The Senate?

Dammit! I was making a joke!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »
Last I heard, the alternate plan of the Bronx chick and a few others was that they would increase the number of justices on the court, then make sure the "new hires" were of the correct political persuasion.

Kind of a Harry Reid rule for the SC. That way when Rs are in power again, they can add more new members and make sure they are all conservative. By 2040, the SC should have around 100 justices.

Idiots.

Cool, let's put all 25 from Trump's list on the USSC right now, and do it in one big hearing.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

The federal judiciary, in short, is unlikely to save our democracy.

As soon as someone says that, I can tell they are on the left.  They want (their) mob rule.  The US is a Federal Republic and if you don't know that and understand how it works, then you are clueless as to the Constitution.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
Dammit! I was making a joke!

How about rescind the 17th Amendment.  If Ian Millisher (sp) knew anything about history, he's know that the Senate was created to make sure small states weren't crushed by big ones.  You know, make sure the little guy had a voice as powerful as the big guys...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:28:40 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
The only thing I have to say about that is...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MMMMmmmm liberal tears... I LOVE liberal tears...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
How about rescind the 17th Amendment.  If Ian Millisher (sp) knew anything about history, he's know that the Senate was created to make sure small states weren't crushed by big ones.  You know, make sure the little guy had a voice as powerful as the big guys...

Can't have that anymore. The little guy's white now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
And the NYT proves that they never watched School House Rock as kids... But since they are out of power, government institutions are bad....

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/10/15/conservatives-pounce-nyt-gets-lit-up-for-writing-literally-the-dumbest-op-ed-about-the-senate-ever/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 01:37:40 AM »
Another article in the "Wahhh, we lost so we have to change things until we win again" file.

Morons.

In 1995, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan declared, “Sometime in the next century the United States is going to have to address the question of apportionment in the Senate.” Perhaps that time has come. Today the voting power of a citizen in Wyoming, the smallest state in terms of population, is about 67 times that of a citizen in the largest state of California, and the disparities among the states are only increasing. The situation is untenable.

Pundits, professors, and policy makers have advanced various solutions. Burt Neuborne of NYU has argued in The Wall Street Journal that the best way forward is to break up large states into smaller ones. Akhil Amar of Yale Law School has suggested a national referendum to reform the Senate. The retired congressman John Dingell asserted here in The Atlantic that the Senate should simply be abolished.

There’s a better, more elegant, constitutional way out. Let’s allocate one seat to each state automatically to preserve federalism, but apportion the rest based on population.

How about remembering that the House of representatives represents the people, which is why they were always elected by popular vote. The Senate was supposed to represent the states and, in keeping therewith, was originally elected by the legislatures of the respective states. It wasn't changed to a popular election until the 17th Amendment to the Constitution, which was ratified in 1913.

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/17th-amendment
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
What else can we get rid of to make them happy? The Senate? House of Reps.?

The seed for that was planted in the minds of younger voters in the late 90s via an article in the Rolling Stone.  Supported moving to a unicameral system.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »
Did you know that there is a bill called the Supreme Court Ethics Act of 2017? Yes, Congress is telling the Supreme Court that they need to be ethical.  Sort of like a brothel writing a memo to the church telling them to straighten up.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.