Author Topic: Place Your Bets !!!  (Read 13645 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Place Your Bets !!!
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
From the same fine folks that said Hillary was a 90% lock back in 2016...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
Did they rewrite their prediction or something?

Hillary Clinton
71.4%
Donald Trump
28.6%
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/

Interesting. I just voted for my last time in CA. Regionally, and even nationally (Hi NPR!) Devin Nunes is shown to be in serious trouble. This poll has him at a 19 in 20, which I believe is more correct than most everything else I've been hearing from people who apparently know nothing of the politics around here. I'm curious about their methodology.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »
LOL, anyone else hear that in Morgan Freeman's voice?

I went with Nick Offerman. He did "the narrator" in that youtube video that took place in a western saloon.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2018, 10:22:43 PM »
Man, it's a tough call.
I haven't seen anything on the national level but here in the reddest of red states, Oklahoma, we have some interesting statistics.
Voter registration stats show that of people changing their party of registration 50% Republican, 26% to Democrat and the rest split between independent and Libertarian.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
In our state election, I was interested to see myself voting for all Republicans for my three state representatives.  I am an independent, and I cross party lines to vote for the best candidate.  This time, all three who best represented my interests and my locality were Republicans.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
While it's beginning to look like the Ds may take the house by a seat or two, I really, really want them to lose now only to break Pelosi. People call Trump self-absorbed, self-important and arrogant? Man, she's got him beat by a mile.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-makes-a-bold-prediction-democrats-will-w
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
While it's beginning to look like the Ds may take the house by a seat or two, I really, really want them to lose now only to break Pelosi. People call Trump self-absorbed, self-important and arrogant? Man, she's got him beat by a mile.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-makes-a-bold-prediction-democrats-will-w
???  Too close to call .... could go either way.    Pelosi is blabbing to shore up demorat base.   That could  be interpreted to mean they're worried.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
I always find the polls & expectations game kind of funny. Some people say that one side is over-inflating their polls to tamp down enthusiasm on the other side. Other people say that their race is closer than it actually is to motivate people to vote. Everyone seems to want to be confident they are going to win but still be the underdog.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/ronna-mcdaniel-republican-midterm-polling/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
I always find the polls & expectations game kind of funny. Some people say that one side is over-inflating their polls to tamp down enthusiasm on the other side. Other people say that their race is closer than it actually is to motivate people to vote. Everyone seems to want to be confident they are going to win but still be the underdog.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/ronna-mcdaniel-republican-midterm-polling/

I have seen fundraising emails from Republicans making it appear a loss is imminent, they just need my money to help them pull out a win.  I am getting tired of that.

Rush mentioned a little while ago that almost no one predicts midterm elections correctly.  I don't think anyone knows.  I just won't worry about it at this point.  I have already voted.  Everyone I know has voted.  Nothing to do but wait. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2018, 12:46:41 AM »
i used to be able to predict elections, i have been wrong and wrong and wrong recently.
on the way to the cafe/wifi i sincerely prayed for a red tsunami
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
I've proven, I can't predict anything to do with elections.  Gloriously, gloriously wrong, in the case of the Trump election!  I remember going to bed all depressed the night before... my wife woke up up the next day with "Who do you think you won the election?"  "Hillary."  "No, Trump."

WHAT!!!!!   =D

Trumps a jerk with no principles, but as a president he is above average, and that is saying something.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
This is more about the gubernatorial races, but I was somewhat shocked to see the Che wannabe ahead in polls in Florida. While I wouldn't be shocked to see a dem win the governor's race in that state, I will be shocked if someone that far left wins.

He actually seems farther left than Gavin Newsom, who, sadly, looks to be a lock in CA. I am leaving none too soon.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
The early voting turn out here has been very strong

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/oklahoma/articles/2018-11-02/early-oklahoma-voting-numbers-suggest-turnout-increase

What I've seen from other states looks to be similar with many reporting record or near record registrations and turn out.

Looks like something is going on, too soon to tell which way the tree is gonna fall.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
Now is the time to get on the record and earn your prognosticator credentials.

I'm not familiar with this outfit but they have a decent breakdown
D +34 in House, R +1 in Senate, D +10 in governorships
The RINO analysis here is interesting, and something a lot of people probably don't want to hear. It also could be proven wrong...
D +32 in House, R +1 in Senate, D +9 in governorships

I'm sticking with my previous prediction, which isn't far from the above (slightly smaller D gain in the house but still enough for a majority).
I will also add a final prediction: The Hearing Protection Act is done for.  :'(

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
I will also add a final prediction: The Hearing Protection Act is done for.  :'(

I'm severely disappointed on the gun rights front. It all went the way of health care reform - to the back burner. Now it will likely be too late for any meaningful legislation to get past gridlock. Even if hope against hope the Rs keep a majority, they don't seem as interested in it as they did pre-NOV 2018 and a few months into Trump's term. Imagine that.

I suppose there are always EOs for some minor stuff, but I'm not crazy about EOs as they all too often follow the Harry Reid strategy.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »
I'm thinking Dems take the house.  I have no clue as to the margin, but I suspect they will have a decent majority that will make it impossible to flip enough squishy Dems to get any of The Stupid Party's legislation acted on.  They may also take the Senate by one or two seats.  Governorships, I have no clue.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
I have no way of figuring this one out. A lot of new voters that have bought into the "Hate Trump" mindset who have no idea of the real issues in this election. They are answering the rally cry to resist and vote anything but Trump or anything/anyone he supports.

I hope the conservative leaning independents get out to vote and vote for something other than a losing 3rd party candidate. I also hope the true conservatives who back Trump and his policies get out to vote because this election is going to come down to sheer numbers with everything being polled out as so close. I have started to believe polls don't mean very much, too many people lie to the pollsters about who they are supporting (if conservative) and it skews everything.

I am somewhat optimistic and think the Rs will hold the Senate with a few gains and possibly hold the House by a very thin margin.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
I'm kind of hoping for a roar from the conservative silent majority.

Hay, a guy can dream can't he?

And come on, the same pollsters that are telling us the dems are gonna have their blue wave are the same pollsters that told us Hillary was a lock.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
If the Dems win the house it is a gift to trump 2020 or his survivors if they manage to get him.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
If the Dems win the house it is a gift to trump 2020 or his survivors if they manage to get him.
You're not alone in that assessment
there are lots of people in Trump World who want Trump to run against the Democratic Congress in 2020. So if you’re someone wholly invested in Trump’s personal political advantages, you could take a strategic flier and not vote Republican tomorrow.
But I doubt many people are confident enough in such a strategy to actually vote for it.

The big question is turnout. So much of the polling depends on accurate analysis of 'likely voters'. Early voting is already off the charts but even that can be interpreted different ways.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM by DittoHead »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »
The big question is turnout. So much of the polling depends on accurate analysis of 'likely voters'. Early voting is already off the charts but even that can be interpreted different ways.

Well, in my (Democrat leaning) precinct, I went in and voted this morning and then got back in the car to hear on the radio "we are hearing reports of longer than expected lines at polling places this morning, so plan accordingly."

I have to admit, the line was much longer at my polling place. Instead of no one being there, there was one person in line in front of me. I can't even quantify how large a percentage change that is!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
I'm severely disappointed on the gun rights front. It all went the way of health care reform - to the back burner. Now it will likely be too late for any meaningful legislation to get past gridlock. Even if hope against hope the Rs keep a majority, they don't seem as interested in it as they did pre-NOV 2018 and a few months into Trump's term. Imagine that.

I suppose there are always EOs for some minor stuff, but I'm not crazy about EOs as they all too often follow the Harry Reid strategy.
Did you really expect gun rights legislation passed in the first two years?  I think that was a bunch of wishful thinking.  Even if Trump would sign it, I think either Ryan or McConnell were against it.  I would have liked to see more effort in reducing the processing time in the ATF and maybe some executive level changes on imports, but I am happy with what was done on other issues.

Trump still hasn't even gotten all his appointments approved.  I think the high expectations is why midterm elections generally go against the party with the President in office. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
Did you really expect gun rights legislation passed in the first two years?  I think that was a bunch of wishful thinking.  Even if Trump would sign it, I think either Ryan or McConnell were against it.  I would have liked to see more effort in reducing the processing time in the ATF and maybe some executive level changes on imports, but I am happy with what was done on other issues.

Trump still hasn't even gotten all his appointments approved.  I think the high expectations is why midterm elections generally go against the party with the President in office. 

If not in the first two years with a majority, then when? While I am also happy with much of what Trump has done, and recognize that it is stuff that affects many more Americans than gun owners, that's kinda the point.

We gun owners are not as important in the scheme of things as we think we are. If gun rights legislation can't get passed when the administration and majority are "riding high", the probability of anything getting done drops like a 1920s stock market. Unless by some miracle, R's get even more seats in the house and senate today, significant pro-gun legislation is likely done for the next two years. We might be able to hold back anti-gun legislation, but even that's not guaranteed since Trump had no problems with bump stock bans after Vegas.

With a D majority, Trump will be spending all his time in the next two years trying to save his economic agenda, which is probably the smart use of resources. Then he might take on health care again. Gun stuff will be well down the list.