Author Topic: Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car  (Read 2925 times)

JN01

• friend
Re: Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
Where can I get a water saving toilet that runs on diesel?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
Where can I get a water saving toilet that runs on diesel?

Simple, hook any toilet up to a diesel line and it'll be water saving, on account of not using water.  :rofl:

230RN - They have to do quite a few things.  They get 'fatbergs' now that cause problems.

All the flush has to do is get the material past the tub inlet, showers and baths will push it the rest of the way.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
I'm looking to buy a mid-compact tractor and am almost dreading getting the diesel on that.

Look at a older John Deere tractor. Yes, you pay more for the green paint, but JD is legendary on having parts for all their equipment, regardless of age or technology.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Look at a older John Deere tractor. Yes, you pay more for the green paint, but JD is legendary on having parts for all their equipment, regardless of age or technology.

I'll expand on that a bit.  The 10 series (1010, 2010, 3010 and 4010) were built from 1960 to 1966.  The 1010 is junk, in both diesel and gas forms.  The 2010 gas was a good tractor, but stay away from the 2010 diesel.  The 3010 and 4010 were good tractors, but probably too big for what you want.

The 20 series were built from 1966 to 1973, and were the last JD tractors available with gas engines.  Either the 1020 or the 2020 would be perfect.  I have had a 1020 diesel for over 20 years, but would really prefer the gas model for winter starting.

And Charby is right.  Most common parts I've needed are usually in stock at the JD dealer.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »
I'll expand on that a bit.  The 10 series (1010, 2010, 3010 and 4010) were built from 1960 to 1966.  The 1010 is junk, in both diesel and gas forms.  The 2010 gas was a good tractor, but stay away from the 2010 diesel.  The 3010 and 4010 were good tractors, but probably too big for what you want.

The 20 series were built from 1966 to 1973, and were the last JD tractors available with gas engines.  Either the 1020 or the 2020 would be perfect.  I have had a 1020 diesel for over 20 years, but would really prefer the gas model for winter starting.

And Charby is right.  Most common parts I've needed are usually in stock at the JD dealer.

I was thinking something newer than 10 or 20 series. Yes the 1010 is a horrible tractor, the gas version is an underpowered turd, barely runs a 5' brush mower.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
I was thinking something newer than 10 or 20 series. Yes the 1010 is a horrible tractor, the gas version is an underpowered turd, barely runs a 5' brush mower.

Any JD newer than a 20 series is going to be a diesel.  John Deere hasn't built a gas tractor since 1972.  Any JD under 50 hp since then is actually a Yanmar (built to JD specs, but not built by JD).  I still think a 1020 or 2020 would be a good choice IF you could find one that hasn't been worked to death and has been kept shedded.

Interesting (or not) note on the 1010 and 2010:  They were built in Dubuque, and the 3020 and 4020 were built in Waterloo.  Dubuque had never built a diesel tractor, while Waterloo had been building diesels since the 40s (R, 80, 820, and 830).  There was quite a bit of competition between the two factories and Waterloo engineers wouldn't share with the Dubuque engineers about building diesels.  That's why the first Dubuque diesels were duds.  By 1966, JD had adopted the 300 series engine, which is still being built today.  So the 1020 was basically a miniature 4020, which was the third most popular tractor JD ever built, behind the A and B, of course.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:46 PM »
Charby: All of the above was not meant to denigrate your suggestion to buy a JD gas tractor  I would rather buy a green and yellow Yanmar, than an actual Yanmar, because the JD parts and service support is still valid, and 15 minutes away, and I don't even know where I would find Yanmar support.  Kubota is a good alternate, but they have become pretty proud of those lately also.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
I’m going to recommend against Kioti.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »
Charby: All of the above was not meant to denigrate your suggestion to buy a JD gas tractor  I would rather buy a green and yellow Yanmar, than an actual Yanmar, because the JD parts and service support is still valid, and 15 minutes away, and I don't even know where I would find Yanmar support.  Kubota is a good alternate, but they have become pretty proud of those lately also.

I got you, I was suggesting Ben to buy an older diesel JD. More HP at lower RPMS.

I think a lot of people don't buy big enough of a tractor when they start thinking beyond mowing grass. It takes 35-40 PTO horsepower to run a square bailer, plus you need some weight on the tractor to keep the flywheel and ram from shaking you to death on the tractor. Round bales, more like 60 PTO HP to run a round bailer. Giant square bales, over 125 PTO HP and a really heavy tractor.

If I had to get a gas tractor, I'd get a 720/730 John Deere.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
Most everyone I've talked to agrees with you two guys (Charby and Larry) about parts and service. Number one consideration. There's a TYM dealer about 5 miles away and a JD dealer about 20 miles away. I was pretty much leaning green, even with the extra up front cost. I would have looked at Kubota, but they are at least as pricey as JD and dealer/mechanic is farther away yet.

I'd already been thinking in the 30-40HP range, because I don't want to end up underpowered and useless just because I wanted to save $5000. I'm still leaning towards a custom farmer for cutting and bailing on the alfalfa, so no bailer needed (yet) but there's still pasture to take care of, plus around a half mile of roads and kinda sorta roads. So besides the front bucket, something that handles a box scraper and/or rear blade well.

While I would like gas, I'm kinda getting resigned to a four banger diesel (which would be fine without the EPA attachments). The previous owner is throwing in an I think 200 gal diesel tank, so fuel storage will be there. There's only two months where cold starting will be a real issue. The JD model numbers are ridiculous. They have more variations than Ford does with the F150!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
There's only two months where cold starting will be a real issue.

Ether and an engine heater.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 04:53:38 AM »
Most everyone I've talked to agrees with you two guys (Charby and Larry) about parts and service. Number one consideration. There's a TYM dealer about 5 miles away and a JD dealer about 20 miles away. I was pretty much leaning green, even with the extra up front cost. I would have looked at Kubota, but they are at least as pricey as JD and dealer/mechanic is farther away yet.

I'd already been thinking in the 30-40HP range, because I don't want to end up underpowered and useless just because I wanted to save $5000. I'm still leaning towards a custom farmer for cutting and bailing on the alfalfa, so no bailer needed (yet) but there's still pasture to take care of, plus around a half mile of roads and kinda sorta roads. So besides the front bucket, something that handles a box scraper and/or rear blade well.

While I would like gas, I'm kinda getting resigned to a four banger diesel (which would be fine without the EPA attachments). The previous owner is throwing in an I think 200 gal diesel tank, so fuel storage will be there. There's only two months where cold starting will be a real issue. The JD model numbers are ridiculous. They have more variations than Ford does with the F150!  :laugh:

I always recommend against the Korean brands and especially the Chinese brands as while they are cheap and common parts are not and dealers go in and out of existence quickly

Deere definitely has the best parts availability. While they do discontinue parts for older machines they aren’t nearly as bad as the other brands and they know to keep parts available for machines that have good field population. Other brands you might be out of luck on parts after 10-15 years or even sooner. Deere you go online, look at the excellent diagrams at JD’s website and order the part shipped to your local dealer within 3 days if they don’t have it in stock. If the cheaper brands don’t have it in the US...

I pick up Mom’s tractor parts across the highway at the JD construction dealer for cheaper than going across town to the JD Ag dealer

Everybody likes to *expletive deleted*it on Deere or Cat for prices but they don’t appreciate actually being able to get parts and service in a timely manner

One more thing put a good filter on your pump and treat your fuel with biocide. Algae is an aggravating bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 04:57:54 AM »
Ether and an engine heater.

Yes on the engine heater no on the ether in a newer diesel, at least from the can. Lot of tractors (at least the larger ones, not sure about compact or midsize) come set up with a computer controlled ether canister that shoots a safe measured shot directly into the intake but not  when the glow plugs are active. Spraying it into the air cleaner box is way too easy to give it to much. Heat is much less risky and keeping it in a shed is even better

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »

Yes on the engine heater no on the ether in a newer diesel, at least from the can. Lot of tractors (at least the larger ones, not sure about compact or midsize) come set up with a computer controlled ether canister that shoots a safe measured shot directly into the intake but not  when the glow plugs are active. Spraying it into the air cleaner box is way too easy to give it to much. Heat is much less risky and keeping it in a shed is even better

I'm still surprised how many farm tractor engines don't have glow plugs.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »

How cold does it get there? Guys use older diesel JD (like 4020) to feed cattle all winter here. We can get down into double negative digits in Jan and February. A fresh overhaul on the older diesels make them easier to start in the winter too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »
How cold does it get there? Guys use older diesel JD (like 4020) to feed cattle all winter here. We can get down into double negative digits in Jan and February. A fresh overhaul on the older diesels make them easier to start in the winter too.

Not that cold. The historical average DEC-JAN low is 20 deg with average DEC-JAN highs in the 30s. The extremes look to run to -20 deg, with most years having at least a couple of weeks somewhere from single digits to below 0. I don't know what critical temps are for diesels? I think you have to start doing gel prevention in the 20s?

About the only reason I'd want to start the thing during weather cold enough to affect starting would be to clear snow. I've got a 350 yard road, currently dirt/rock (that I'll probably improve some in the next year) between the house and the county road. I'm not sure if I want to get a plow for the tractor though, or get one for the ATV. The youtubes show guys clearing a lot of snow with those ATV/plow/winch setups. Also other than snowmaggedon a couple of years ago, everybody there keeps telling me it doesn't snow much.

I could always pull a Tallpine and just park my vehicles out on the road when it snows.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »

One more thing put a good filter on your pump and treat your fuel with biocide. Algae is an aggravating bitch.

Thanks for that. I'm doing the final walkthrough this afternoon and will have a chance to talk to the owner about current condition of the tank.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »
Not that cold. The historical average DEC-JAN low is 20 deg with average DEC-JAN highs in the 30s. The extremes look to run to -20 deg, with most years having at least a couple of weeks somewhere from single digits to below 0. I don't know what critical temps are for diesels? I think you have to start doing gel prevention in the 20s?

About the only reason I'd want to start the thing during weather cold enough to affect starting would be to clear snow. I've got a 350 yard road, currently dirt/rock (that I'll probably improve some in the next year) between the house and the county road. I'm not sure if I want to get a plow for the tractor though, or get one for the ATV. The youtubes show guys clearing a lot of snow with those ATV/plow/winch setups. Also other than snowmaggedon a couple of years ago, everybody there keeps telling me it doesn't snow much.

I could always pull a Tallpine and just park my vehicles out on the road when it snows.  =D

Heated cabs are nice.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
I'm not sure if I want to get a plow for the tractor though, or get one for the ATV. The youtubes show guys clearing a lot of snow with those ATV/plow/winch setups.

How about a 70/80s beater truck with a plow? probably a few for sale out in that area.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
How about a 70/80s beater truck with a plow? probably a few for sale out in that area.

bob

Actually less than 20 miles from me is one of those gov surplus places. Maybe I'll finally get that Kaiser.  =D

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.