Author Topic: The illegal invader caravan thread  (Read 18395 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The illegal invader caravan thread
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »
It’s funny how when someone calls for less .gov bullshit governing employment the response is always “butbutbut you want child labor!” Or less environmental regs then it’s  “but you want rivers on fire!”

Because some people understand why some regulations were created in the first place. Someone or someones was wrongfully exploiting people or the common good.

Here is an example why we have minimum wage laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/09/us/the-boys-in-the-bunkhouse.html
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
The above doesn't justify the minimum wage.  Minimum wage came about in 1938, as part of Roosevelt's "New Deal"  The above is about exploiting the mentally handicapped.  They were failed by their families and the person(s) put in charge to take care of them.  It has nothing to do with minimum wage.

People who are able to negotiate their wages should be allowed to do so.  Your story is about families that washed their hands of members who needed their care and protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj1qlsjVoM

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:29:15 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2018, 06:31:10 PM »
It also shows that despite all you beloved regulations, these people were still allowed to be exploited for over 30 years as "the system" turned are blind eye to them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2018, 07:23:55 AM »
The above doesn't justify the minimum wage.  Minimum wage came about in 1938, as part of Roosevelt's "New Deal"  The above is about exploiting the mentally handicapped.  They were failed by their families and the person(s) put in charge to take care of them.  It has nothing to do with minimum wage.

People who are able to negotiate their wages should be allowed to do so.  Your story is about families that washed their hands of members who needed their care and protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj1qlsjVoM

You and I are not going to agree on this subject. I've seen too many shenanigans pulled by business owners/management to even think about deregulating labor laws. Day in court takes too long, so to me that isn't an option either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »
Looks like it might start getting sporty today. A group made a rush to overwhelm the border and apparently tear gas has been deployed.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mexico-denies-deal-with-white-house-on-migrants-as-trump-threatens-to-close-entire-border
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
Again,  are we just our of AC 130s and A10s?  Literal invasion, happening now.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
Again,  are we just our of AC 130s and A10s?  Literal invasion, happening now.

If that happened, I'm pretty sure a lot of nations would declare war on the US, World War III would in North America.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
The military being there is probably mostly theater.

Trump is squeezing Mexico to make them deal with the problem on their side.

Shutting down the border as he threatened will cost a lot of people money. Powerful people who will also put pressure on Mexico.

Trump is pretty sly.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »
If that happened, I'm pretty sure a lot of nations would declare war on the US, World War III would in North America.

I doubt that. There would be lots of bluster, UN resolutions, etc. But nothing would really happen with foreign governments. The next caravan would likely stop in its tracks. The biggest problem would be that the left in this country would collectively lose it's *expletive deleted*it and we would have riots in the bigger cities, congressional hearings until the cows come home, and the House would probably impeach Trump.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
I doubt that. There would be lots of bluster, UN resolutions, etc. But nothing would really happen with foreign governments.

Exactly.  Other nations (including Russia and China) have done worse and nothing has come of it.

The biggest problem would be that the left in this country would collectively lose it's *expletive deleted*it and we would have riots in the bigger cities

Maybe.  Maybe they'll settle down because they don't want to be targeted.

and the House would probably impeach Trump.

They're going to try that anyway.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
the left in this country would collectively lose it's *expletive deleted*it and we would have riots in the bigger cities, congressional hearings until the cows come home, and the House would probably impeach Trump.

So...pretty much status quo.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

I absolutely disagree,  did you even think that out  ;/?

The border needs to be more than some magic line that you cross to get free *expletive deleted*it.

And Mexico is welcome to bring it on,  apparently they need reminded about once a century.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
Impeachment is the congressional equivalent of a grand jury bringing charges. The next step is a "trial," which is held before the Senate. Unlikely that the Senate would convict Trump.

Remember, Bill Clinton was impeached ... but he wasn't convicted, so he remained in office.

I don't think the Ds would really impeach. What would happen if they succeeded in getting Trump out of office? President Pence, that's what, and he's more of a true conservative Christian than Trump could ever dream of being. President Pence would be the Democrats' worst nightmare. I don't think they really want that, but all the bluster makes for good theater, and rakes in the money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
I don't like this situation at all.... it makes the US look like that bad guy and we are essentially the land of plenty for these people.  They just need to follow the rules and most of them would get in.

I am not familiar with the various visas, but a work visa easily obtained would be very good start.  The problem is that many of these people essentially disappear into our cities and even if they are issued some sort of SS, it doesn't mean they will pay any taxes.  Try tracking them down? 

The "wall" is part of the answer in controlling our border with Mexico.  Mexico needs to make it more difficult for these people to form "caravans".  The problem there is that political forces in the US are at work and there is a lot of money behind those forces to "help" these people.

It is time for Congress to get off their butts and apply some common sense to this issue.  The Democrats will win the voter registration race.  The sad part of that equation is that Republicans have historically been more effective with dealing with social issues.  But the Democrats somehow always come out smelling like a rose.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2018, 12:26:17 AM »
I don't like this situation at all.... it makes the US look like that bad guy and we are essentially the land of plenty for these people.  They just need to follow the rules and most of them would get in.

I agree that they should follow the rules, but I don't agree that most of them would get in. There are criteria for being granted asylum, and I seriously doubt many of them satisfy those criteria. There are also quotas for immigrant visas, and there are people ahead of this rabble in the queue. They aren't interested in playing y the rules, because they want to jump the line.

I have zero sympathy for them.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/11/invasion-honduran-migrant-says-20000-will-march-through-vehicle-lanes-at-border-says-applying-for-asylum-is-waste-of-time/

Gómez and several others told the Epoch Times that they plan to enter illegally and are unlikely to apply for asylum.

“It’s a waste of time. It’s a process that takes months and years—it’s a long time,” Gómez said.

Another migrant, Frank Martinez, had a similar plan.

“I personally, and I know many people will attempt to do the same thing—it’s to cross illegally. I will enter illegally,” Martinez said. “Because we want a better life, and I’m in a hurry.”

Though the migrants were offered asylum in Mexico, they have no plans to take them up on their offer. Instead, they hope to storm the border to the US.

“It’s not my intention, to stay here, in this country. My intention is the United States,” Martinez said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2018, 02:03:47 AM »
Looks like Mexico is doing a little something about it, http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mexico-deporting-nearly-500-migrants-after-california-border-blitz/ar-BBQ5K1h?ocid=ientp
It also mentions that Mexico also closed down their side of the port of entry, I had thought only the US closed down.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
I don't like this situation at all.... it makes the US look like that bad guy and we are essentially the land of plenty for these people.  They just need to follow the rules and most of them would get in.

I am not familiar with the various visas, but a work visa easily obtained would be very good start.  The problem is that many of these people essentially disappear into our cities and even if they are issued some sort of SS, it doesn't mean they will pay any taxes.  Try tracking them down? 

The "wall" is part of the answer in controlling our border with Mexico.  Mexico needs to make it more difficult for these people to form "caravans".  The problem there is that political forces in the US are at work and there is a lot of money behind those forces to "help" these people.

It is time for Congress to get off their butts and apply some common sense to this issue.  The Democrats will win the voter registration race.  The sad part of that equation is that Republicans have historically been more effective with dealing with social issues.  But the Democrats somehow always come out smelling like a rose.
Makes us look bad to who?  Anyone we really care about?  That really isn't a good reason to set policy.

And who is really trying to make us look bad?  That would be our Main Stream Media organizations. 

The immigration laws have been screwed up for decades.  It will be a major fight to get any changes.  Lots of businesses want Congress to treat those laws like the tax code.  Full of loopholes for their use.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
Makes us look bad to who?  Anyone we really care about?  That really isn't a good reason to set policy.

And who is really trying to make us look bad?  That would be our Main Stream Media organizations.  

The immigration laws have been screwed up for decades.  It will be a major fight to get any changes.  Lots of businesses want Congress to treat those laws like the tax code.  Full of loopholes for their use.
My liberal coworkers are absolutely appalled and embarrassed by Trump, they are absolutely concerned about what “the world” thinks of us.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
My liberal coworkers are absolutely appalled and embarrassed by Trump, they are absolutely concerned about what “the world” thinks of us.

It continues to be of interest to me that the left complains so loudly about our "Machiavellian" immigration policy when it is much, much more liberal than that of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, MEXICO, etc.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
It continues to be of interest to me that the left complains so loudly about our "Machiavellian" immigration policy when it is much, much more liberal than that of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, MEXICO, etc.

Absolutely (couldn’t figure out how to get that third “absolutely” into my previous post).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:03:22 AM by Ron »

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2018, 10:49:05 AM »
I agree that they should follow the rules, but I don't agree that most of them would get in. There are criteria for being granted asylum, and I seriously doubt many of them satisfy those criteria. There are also quotas for immigrant visas, and there are people ahead of this rabble in the queue. They aren't interested in playing y the rules, because they want to jump the line.

I have zero sympathy for them.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/11/invasion-honduran-migrant-says-20000-will-march-through-vehicle-lanes-at-border-says-applying-for-asylum-is-waste-of-time/

The rules for asylum are fairly stringent.  It is the proof of such that is the problem.  I suspect in most cases we have been giving many the benefit of the doubt but that has stopped with this wave.  I do have sympathy for them as I understand that they simply want jobs to feed their families.  A lot of the money gets sent back to their families south of the border as I understand it.  The central American countries like this as it feeds their economies.

We need a wall of sorts with enforcement.  We shouldn't have to keep these people in the US feeding and caring for them while they wait for some sort of court resolution.  I doubt Mexico wants them either....  So, part of the solution is rigorous border enforcement along the Southern Mexico border.  The US has to enforce its borders or we have no country at all.  Kind of like the fence wars years ago when folks were migrating west and setting up farms in the open grazing portions of the west.  Led to a lot of trouble.  The farmers won, but we can't loose the border fight.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
The rules for asylum are fairly stringent.  It is the proof of such that is the problem.  I suspect in most cases we have been giving many the benefit of the doubt but that has stopped with this wave.  I do have sympathy for them as I understand that they simply want jobs to feed their families.  A lot of the money gets sent back to their families south of the border as I understand it.  The central American countries like this as it feeds their economies.

We need a wall of sorts with enforcement.  We shouldn't have to keep these people in the US feeding and caring for them while they wait for some sort of court resolution.  I doubt Mexico wants them either....  So, part of the solution is rigorous border enforcement along the Southern Mexico border.  The US has to enforce its borders or we have no country at all.  Kind of like the fence wars years ago when folks were migrating west and setting up farms in the open grazing portions of the west.  Led to a lot of trouble.  The farmers won, but we can't loose the border fight.
I have heard discussions lately about the cost of illegally entering the US.  It costs a lot of money.  The cartells and others try to control that sort of access and charge a lot.  It is actually not the "starving poor" that are traveling from South America.  Now I am not sure if that is who is in these caravans since someone else paid for these people to move North. 

The other side of that is there are poor and starving people all over the world.  We cannot take them all.  We don't have the room.  I have heard it said that we get away with liberal immigration policies because countries like India or Pakistan are an ocean away.  Otherwise, we would be flooded with a lot more illegal immigrants than we have now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge