Author Topic: Cabelas Visa Now Capitol One  (Read 972 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cabelas Visa Now Capitol One
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »
Thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else with a Cabelas card. They have switched to Capitol One now.

I probably got some email or letter or something about it but didn't pay attention. I got home today and found a snail mail from Cabelas with my paper account statement, which had me in WTF? mode because I do everything electronically with Cabelas. Then I realized I hadn't gotten my payment due notification from them, which always comes around the same day as my Amex notification

When I opened it I saw the "Capitol One". I logged into my Cabelas Visa page and got redirected to Capitol One to setup a whole new account before I even had a chance to login to the Cabelas Club page. What a hassle, and as of now, it won't let me switch back to electronic statements only.

Not happy at this time. I'm giving it a few days, then will login again to see if anything has changed. Also, I get a ton of ads from Capitol One, and everytime I see a Capitol One envelope in the mail, I automatically toss it without even opening it. Now I have to wonder if I threw away any important account stuff.

Anyway, FYI for anyone who didn't know, or hasn't seen their Cabelas bill notification in their email yet.

EDIT: Also, be careful of the part where it asks how you want to receive messages. Maybe I read it wrong, but the "automated texts and calls" part seemed to (sneakily) imply that texts would include not only fraud notifications, but also "product offerings". I chose "non-automated" (or whatever it said) which, after choosing said I would miss important messages but that I would still get texts for fraud and other security issues, but that I should really go back and choose "automated".
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:41:31 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Cabelas Visa Now Capitol One
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
The new card arrived today. The other pisser that  I discovered today is that they are Mastercard now, not Visa, so no more building up Cabelas points at Costco.  Grrr.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
I used to pay all my medical bills with my Cabela's card, then do an electronic transfer from my Health Savings Account to pay that part of the Cabela's bill.  That doesn't work with the Capital One card; my HSA doesn't do electronic transfers -- it worked with the old Cabela's card because the HSA back office was cutting a paper check to Worlds Foremost Bank, or whatever it was called.  Figuring that out was interesting.  They probably weren't a member of the check clearinghouse in the sky.  

I could write myself a paper check from the HSA, but if I do that I might as well use my Amazon Prime or Costco card and have more options for using the 1% cashback.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:08:35 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »

I could write myself a paper check from the HSA, but if I do that I might as well use my Amazon Prime or Costco card and have more options for using the 1% cashback.

I'm actually thinking of just using up my points and getting an Amazon card instead.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »
Yeah, just got mine in last night. Now  begins the process of tracking down all of my monthly autopay bills and switching them over to the new card. Grrrr.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
Same here. I now have three accounts that have ended up at Capitol One. Cabelas, ING Checking, and one other CC that I can’t remember anymore what it was before.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
Same here. I now have three accounts that have ended up at Capitol One. Cabelas, ING Checking, and one other CC that I can’t remember anymore what it was before.

Ditto, I miss ING online banking.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
Yeah, just got mine in last night. Now  begins the process of tracking down all of my monthly autopay bills and switching them over to the new card. Grrrr.

I haven't received my new card yet, but autopay bills are starting to be rejected.  I'm spending the morning switching all of them to my Amazon card.
"It's good, though..."