Author Topic: Fish Chowder  (Read 3009 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Fish Chowder
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
I made this last night and it was really excellent:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fish_chowder/

Now the recipe gives you all the ingredients, but it's basically:

Onions
White Wine
Clam Juice
Potatoes
Seasonings (Thyme, Salt, Pepper, Bay Leaf, Old Bay)
Heavy Cream
Fish

To those I added carrots and celery and a some clam, too.

Cook the onions, carrots and celery in an oil/butter mix until tender (I cook the onions longer than the other two). Add wine and reduce by half.
Add seasonings, potatoes, and enough clam juice/water to cover the potatoes. Simmer (covered) until the potatoes are done.
Lower the heat on the pot and heat the cream separately. Add the cream and the fish (and the clams, if choosing to do so) and keep the heat low. Just steaming, never boiling, and cook until the fish are done (10-15 minutes, tops).

Add some parsley for flavor and serve with a nice sourdough for dipping.

REALLY good on a cold night and cooked a lot faster than I was expecting. It helps if you cut the potatoes smaller.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Fish Chowder
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
What kind of fish did you use?

I love fish chowder, but these days it's not compatible with my diet.

I was at Mtnbkr's a few weeks ago and he made a Carolina style fish stew that was REALLY excellent. I still have a bunch of it in my freezer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »

I love fish chowder, but these days it's not compatible with my diet.

I was at Mtnbkr's a few weeks ago and he made a Carolina style fish stew that was REALLY excellent. I still have a bunch of it in my freezer.

I think it was Swai. Just some white fish we had in the freezer that we needed to use.

Any whitefish will work. I prefer Cod (which I made it with the last time I made it), but I also prefer to use up whatever we have first.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »

I make something similar to the recipe above with catfish.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
I had a Scandanavian style fish chowder with dill that used salmon. It was quite tasty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
I had a Scandanavian style fish chowder with dill that used salmon. It was quite tasty.

Dill is one of my favorite spices. I may try that instead of parsley next go around.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
The recipe it's is essentially my mother's potato soup, only with no shredded carrots, slightly fewer potatoes, and chunks of fish.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »
Hum... I bet that would be a bowl of absolute awesome with smoked salmon!