Author Topic: Liars gotta lie  (Read 1036 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Liars gotta lie
« on: November 05, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
Even if/when they work for the .gov.

Some of you may have picked up on previous comments I've made indicating that I have been maintaining a spreadsheet of school and mass shootings. I want statistics to counter lies from the anti-gun side. One of the statistics I'm tracking is whether or not "assault weapons" were used, and another is whether or not the gun(s) was/were obtained legally.

On September 19 there was a mass shooting at a company called WTS Paradigm, in Middleton, Wisconsin. None of the news reports indicated what type or types of firearms were used, or whether or not the gun or guns were obtained legally. But the articles did state that the BATFE was involved in the investigation.

So, I decided to file Freedom of Information requests with the Middleton Police Department and the BATFE to obtain the missing information. I submitted both FOI requests on-line, within a day or two after the shooting, so approximately September 21. Since then I have heard nothing from either agency, and I haven't followed up only because I have no record of my submission. They were submitted using on-line forms. If I received a receipt of any kind, I don't remember.

Fast forward to today. I arrived home after a delightful day getting my knee examined and x-rayed at the VA hospital to find an e-mail and attached letter from the BATFE. Yes, they formally and politely acknowledged receipt of my FOI request -- which they claim I submitted on October 30!

Why would they lie? Simple -- the law requires them to respond within a certain number of days, and that number is a lot smaller than 30. They did not respond in a timely fashion, meaning they broke the law. But, since there's no record, they can "fix" the problem by cooking the books. They just make up a new date, and by dating their response letter November 5 they appear to have responded within seven days of the date they claim I submitted the request.

There's a word for people like that. It may not pass the language test here, but it has to do with offspring of unwed parents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: Liars gotta lie
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
Maybe the wires that connect them to the series of tubes that is the internet are stretched to the point it took five weeks to squeeze the info through them?

Seriously, sounds about par for the feds.  After all, from their point of view there is no downside to the lie, it's just more CYA paper work.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 06:56:42 PM »
You are surprised that the government apparatchiks lie? :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
It is possible the ATF is telling the truth.  It all depends on how "receive the request" is defined.  Their FOIA office drone may not have actually seen the electronic form until Oct 30 because of <insert a variety of reasons here>.  If that is the case, then they are operating within the law.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »
It is possible the ATF is telling the truth.  It all depends on how "receive the request" is defined.  Their FOIA office drone may not have actually seen the electronic form until Oct 30 because of <insert a variety of reasons here>.  If that is the case, then they are operating within the law.

That sounds plausible.

But in terms of your general statement: "I want statistics to counter lies from the anti-gun side," I hope it's possible to "counter" as fast as they can lie.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
There's a word for people like that. It may not pass the language test here, but it has to do with offspring of unwed parents.

Try: Dirty lying cork soaking bastages.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »

=D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

They take-a you bells and chov 'em up you ice hole!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
It is possible the ATF is telling the truth.  It all depends on how "receive the request" is defined.  Their FOIA office drone may not have actually seen the electronic form until Oct 30 because of <insert a variety of reasons here>.  If that is the case, then they are operating within the law.

This does not sound plausible to me, and I very much doubt that "We didn't receive it until someone looked at it after it was sitting in our office for six weeks" satisfies any conceivable legal definition of "received."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht