Author Topic: What caliber for miscreant facing a firing squad?  (Read 1054 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: What caliber for miscreant facing a firing squad?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »
There is no need to be intentionally cruel, but death is rarely painless for anyone.  Why we insist on making a goblin's passing more comfortable than most of our grandparent's, never mind their victim's, is nonsensical.

If it has to be non-messy just use N2 to flood the chamber.

Messy execution methods are really only a problem for the workers at the prison.  For the condemned it is often the fastest and least painful exit.

All that said, the biggest issue with capital punishment is that too many innocent people are subjected it, and the guilty languish so long before being executed they cost (in both room/board and endless legal appeals) far too much.  Reserve it for the cases where guilt goes well beyond the "reasonable doubt" standard (free confession, in context video evidence, other clear evidence that can only point to the accused, etc), and then do it quickly.  Otherwise LWOP.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:04 AM »
What caliber?  Whatever is on sale at WallyWorld.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »
I couldn't read the articles in detail, but I believe Utah removed or at least debated about removing the firing squad option soon after the Gardner execution.  (I seem to recall at the time that the main but "un-emphasized" reason was because "GUH-UHNS" and "this isn't the Wild West any more," and "ewww, ick," rather than for any rational reason.  At least that's what I saw in the letters to the editor sections.  Perhaps a little messy, but that's what hoses and floor drains are for.)

Interesting that the countdown from five for the firing squad had them fire at the count of two.

Also wry-grinworthy was the fact that he apparently chose the firing squad for religious reasons.  After murdering two people and failing at a third.

Additional:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Lee_Gardner
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:25:32 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
Why not just go up to 50 Cal or maybe artillery at close range. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
Why not just go up to 50 Cal or maybe artillery at close range. 
Kim, is that you?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
I couldn't read the articles in detail, but I believe Utah removed or at least debated about removing the firing squad option soon after the Gardner execution.  (I seem to recall at the time that the main but "un-emphasized" reason was because "GUH-UHNS" and "this isn't the Wild West any more," and "ewww, ick," rather than for any rational reason.  At least that's what I saw in the letters to the editor sections.  Perhaps a little messy, but that's what hoses and floor drains are for.)

Interesting that the countdown from five for the firing squad had them fire at the count of two.

Also wry-grinworthy was the fact that he apparently chose the firing squad for religious reasons.  After murdering two people and failing at a third.

Additional:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Lee_Gardner

Interesting. Didn't know that firing squads still happened.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:49 PM »