Author Topic: 1st bbqbrisket  (Read 3715 times)

brimic

• friends
1st bbqbrisket
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
I've been wanting to try a brisket for a long time, but have had to settle for chuck roasts because of the lack of availability of decently priced briskets in my area.
On a saturday trip to costco, I found whole briskets in the meat area at around $3/lb, so I picked up a 14lb brisket.

After doing a few hours of reading about how to prepare them- whether to inject or not, what rubs to use, learning about the 'Texas crutch', I came upon this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCttAGngw8U

I watched it through twice, and followed it carefully. Started my charcoal (lump) around 12AM sunday (after daylight savings adjustment), had the meat on at about 1:00AM, and off at about 11AM. I did his 'burnt ends' treatment while the flat part of the brisket was resting.

The results far exceeded my expectations. The kids ate the 'burnt ends' on kayser rolls, and my son probably ate about 2 lbs of the brisket flat himself. This beats the hell out of pork shoulders by a mile... I've had bbq'd brisket from local restaurants before, but was never impressed with brisket until now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: 1st bbqbrisket
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
'Burnt ends' are one of my favorite things to eat, and they are very hard to find in the Seattle-area. Most places here do 'Texas-style' BBQ, and they all tell me that burnt ends are more of a Kansas City thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
This is what’s left after last night’s dinner. I sliced a bunch to make fajitas, the rest I sliced up for sandwiches. My son cane out of his room, grabbed a few slices for a snack then went back into hiding  :rofl:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
My ex FIL made, hands down, the best brisket I've ever stuffed in my pie hole. His recipe was simplicity itself. Fat-on and season with liberal applications of Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Wrap in foil, fat side up. 180-200 deg for 8 hours. Scape off fat (it will fall right off), slice across the grain, and serve. Pour drippings into a saucepan and thicken with cornstarch for a gravy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB