Author Topic: No Blue Wave in Ohio  (Read 912 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
No Blue Wave in Ohio
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
Early results, mainly absentee ballots and early voting, had Dems in the lead in all statewide races and most of the Congressional races.  With half of the precincts reporting, it looks like Reps are going to fill all state offices, most of the Congressional races.  Sherrod Brown is going to keep his job.  Shockingly, the Democrat supported judicial candidates for Supreme Court are both winning.  Too bad, the one Republican is a friend of mine.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: No Blue Wave in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
congressional races at 60% reporting..10 clear Rep wins, 4 Dem wins, 2 too close to call yet.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »
Irony, oh irony.  NBC called Sherrod Brown as winner with a 6% lead.  Same lead in the governor's race is "too close to call"    ;/
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »
Nevermind.  Local news place called the races early and was horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:02:30 AM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »
Starting to look like McKaskill will be looking for a new job in MO.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »
Starting to look like McKaskill will be looking for a new job in MO.

From your lips to God's ears.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:22 AM »
Breaking news.

After my local Fox8 station called the gubernatorial election for the Dems,  they're now saying Mike Dewine has a narrow victory.  Color me shocked.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:20 AM »
No blue wave in the Senate, and the Rs actually flipped four seats compared to zero for the Ds.

The House, though ... OUCH! At this point, the Ds have picked up 25 seats and the Rs haven't flipped any.

Could be worse. In general, I have long believed that the government works best when neither side controls both sides of the Congress. The Senate still controls judicial confirmations, so Trump has two more years (at least) to help balance out the judiciary. I just hope he gets another shot at the Supreme Court, but I'm certain Bader Ginsberg won't retire voluntarily.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:32 AM »
D's needed I think 23 net house seats for a majority.  Looking like they'll get it, but not with much margin. 

So far in the Senate the R's have flipped MO, FL, ND and IN.  Thus far holding everything able to be called.  Only question marks left, really are AZ, NV and MT.  No data out yet for NV, AZ really is looking like a nail biter.  MT probably stays D, but enough votes left it could flip.

So minimum R+2, could go to R+5 depending on how those 3 races shake out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 07:47:55 AM »
Dems this morning are screeching like a riot in the monkey house. The seem to think that this is somehow a huge victory for progressiveism.

The path to a solidly Constitutional supreme court runs through the Senate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
I'm disappointed that our lousy Senator Kaine didn't lose, but I'm not surprised. Corey Stewart wasn't the best choice* to run against him and this state is trending blue (despite the vast swaths of red, because they are overbalanced by the urban areas in the east and north.)

*understatement
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
No blue wave in the Senate, and the Rs actually flipped four seats compared to zero for the Ds.

The House, though ... OUCH! At this point, the Ds have picked up 25 seats and the Rs haven't flipped any.

Could be worse. In general, I have long believed that the government works best when neither side controls both sides of the Congress. The Senate still controls judicial confirmations, so Trump has two more years (at least) to help balance out the judiciary. I just hope he gets another shot at the Supreme Court, but I'm certain Bader Ginsberg won't retire voluntarily.
It is hard to overstate the importance of the judicial appointments.  I saw someone point out that a big chunk of the leftist agenda that affects our daily lives was implemented in the courts. 

We will see on the split Congress.  I am curious what Democrats there will actually do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
It is hard to overstate the importance of the judicial appointments.  I saw someone point out that a big chunk of the leftist agenda that affects our daily lives was implemented in the courts. 

We will see on the split Congress.  I am curious what Democrats there will actually do.

Another interesting result of Congress's fecklessness over the last few decades is that serious power is concentrated in the Executive and specifically the bureaucracy.

Which also means that much of the left's agenda can also be rolled back by Trump's cabinet appointees.

Live by the pen and the phone... die by the pen and the phone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
I'm really glad the monkey-man lost, in Florida.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife