Author Topic: Biggest Disappointment in the Election?  (Read 3001 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Biggest Disappointment in the Election?
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »

Yes, it's disappointing the Republicans lost the House, but I expected that. Historical trends (and human nature) favored the Dems winning enough to take back the house. (And, thus far, the results have been almost exactly normal in the trend.)

Mine is John James failing to win in Michigan. He seems a very good leader and I had hopes he could help convince more black voters to abandon the Democrats. He had been surging, but in the end fell far short. Seems the polls weren't all that far off this year.

What's yours?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
Re: Biggest Disappointment in the Election?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
The #$% Republicans had an opportunity to repeal Obamacare, crack down on immigration, build the wall, give us CC reciprocity, deregulate suppressors, improve the budget, defund Planned Parenthood... and they absolutely spit on their voters and accomplished none of that.  That my big disappointment.   :mad:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
Scott Walker losing in Wisconsin, although I would agree there is no reason James should have lost, hopefully one more time we see him.

My biggest disappointment in the land of sarcasm is seeing how much money was wasted on Beto, Abrams, and Gillum. Could helped a lot of the poor and downtrodden with all those bills and starpower.

Semi disappointing, someone I kinda know got elected in NJ, Mikie Sherril. Used to serve with her, okay pilot, shame to see it is boilerplate Dem bs she brings.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
While I don't necessarily disagree with the concept, so maybe not a big disappointment, restoring voting rights for felons in Florida could have some significant impacts down the line. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
Here in Ohio, at the state level, Republicans won all of the top positions (governor, AG, treasurer, auditor, sec state).  However, there were two seats up for election on the state Supreme Court.  Ohio judicial races are officially non-partisan.  However, the parties each "support" a candidate, who is chosen in a partisan primary.  (Yeah, I know.  It makes no sense.)  Both seats went to the Democrat candidate, one in a 60/40 win, the other in a 53/47 win.  Can't figure that one out.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
While I don't necessarily disagree with the concept, so maybe not a big disappointment, restoring voting rights for felons in Florida could have some significant impacts down the line. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.
Well, I'm guessing FL will go Blue in the next Presidential election then.   :mad:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
Quote from: French G. link=topic=58661.msg1183877#msg1183877
My biggest disappointment in the land of sarcasm is seeing how much money was wasted on Beto, Abrams, and Gillum. Could helped a lot of the poor and downtrodden with all those bills and starpower.

Put them to work building the wall.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »
That Pelosi was reelected. 
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »
Put them to work building the wall.
What "wall"?  There will never be a wall.  Neither party wants it. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
I'll have more disappointments to list as I read more today.  :laugh:

For now:

It was a bit sad to see how many states I thought were staunchly conservative go blue in congressional races, or else barely squeak through a red win. Nevada especially seems to be turning blue. I almost blame that more on the Reno area than the Las Vegas area, what with all the San Francisco region Californians moving to the Reno and surrounding areas.

The blue West Coast continues to irk me in how much influence it has for the rest of those states. Red/blue numbers pretty much flip at some longitudinal dividing line in each of those states. It, again, would be really interesting to have "in-state" electoral voting in those states.

I would list a slew of disappointments regarding California elections if i wasn't leaving the state. Gavin Newsom is going to turn this state into Venezuela. On the "not disappointed" front, I likely won't have to worry about commies in Idaho in my lifetime, where red percentages were nearly double blue percentages.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
That Washington State passed I-1639 with a 60% margin.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »

*sigh* I expect worse initiatives to be on the ballot in the coming years. This is like blood in the water for the blues that hate gun culture.

But yeah, definitely my biggest disappointment too.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
That we didn't see a repeat of 2016's polling failure.

I could really have gotten behind another blue wave of tears.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
Missouri decided to increase its minimum wage to 12-something per hour. I wonder how that compares to $15 on the coasts.

For some reason, though we prefer Republican politicians and deep red, NRA-approved gun laws, we want stupid-high minimum wages, and we hate Right-to-work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
Missouri decided to increase its minimum wage to 12-something per hour. I wonder how that compares to $15 on the coasts.

For some reason, though we prefer Republican politicians and deep red, NRA-approved gun laws, we want stupid-high minimum wages, and we hate Right-to-work.

Very populist positions, not purely ideological.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
That we didn't see a repeat of 2016's polling failure.

I could really have gotten behind another blue wave of tears.

Ohio had some pretty significant polling failures.  Dems I know were discussing polls from a couple of weeks before the election showing all of the state major Dem candidates up by at least 5 points, and State Issue 1 polling up by 7 points.  All of those candidates lost, and Issue 1 went down 65/35.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »

This.  I expected WA voters to be stupid, but the fact it wasn’t even close was disappointing.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
Illinois. From really bad to really worse bad.
The corrupt Chicago machine now has the governor plus a supermajority.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
This.  I expected WA voters to be stupid, but the fact it wasn’t even close was disappointing.

I see it as the domination of the Puget Sound counties, where most of the population lives, over the rest of the state. As Seattle/King County go, so does the majority of state-wide political issues.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
Illinois. From really bad to really worse bad.
The corrupt Chicago machine now has the governor plus a supermajority.

Plus losing Roskam (IL-6) and Hultgren (IL-14) to two giant con-artists. Casten and Underwood.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »

That is a gift. Every blue rep is going to have her for a running mate in two years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
How in the heck did Scott Walker lose to Tony Evers? He survived a recall and reelection and WI went to Trump but he loses to that guy  ???
I saw a few negative Foxconn articles lately but that didn't seem to be a big factor.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
How in the heck did Scott Walker lose to Tony Evers? He survived a recall and reelection and WI went to Trump but he loses to that guy  ???
I saw a few negative Foxconn articles lately but that didn't seem to be a big factor.

He was a victim of his own success. He did a lot of good things early in his career, but didn't do anything noteworthy in the last few years other than Foxconn (I think this deal has been way underrated for its future impact on the state by both the left and the right).
Voters got bored with him.

Evers- he's a cardboard cutout of a lifelong bureaucrat. I'll give him a chance, but I don't think he's destined for any kind of greatness.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:15:57 PM »
David Young losing IA-3

Steve King not losing IA-4
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536